Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Magicshine MJ-872?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005SF60CY/ref=asc_df_B005SF60CY5169266/?tag=googlecouk06-21&creative=22134&creativeASIN=B005SF60CY&linkCode=asn

So thinking about clicking buy on the above light tomorrow(reading past posts on here has pointed me in this direction), 100 quid. It’s about time i got into this night riding malarky! Anyone seen it any cheaper elsewhere, or indeed should I be looking at anything else? Just looking at bar mount really at the moment, I’ll think about a head torch after I try it out and know more from first hand experience.

Anyhow, any thoughts welcome.

Cheers

coastkid
    Free Member

£89 on Magicshine UK on ebay, i have 2, totally over the top daylight power and ace :mrgreen:

seosamh77
    Free Member

aye literally just saw that! cheers. So the ebay seller fine to buy from? haven’t bought from there before.

coastkid
    Free Member

My second light had a battery that did not hold full charge, seems a few have been like this, i mailed him on Saturday 4-5pm, mailed me back 7pm, said no problem, return the battery, replacement arrived today,
    can not complain about service 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

Cool, cheers for that, good to know. Bugger it, i’ll buy it just now then! 😀

motorman
    Free Member

Fantastic light for the money, I’m also waiting for my second light to arrive.. 🙂

MartynS

ebay.. got mine the other week. Ordered Sunday night, received Tuesday. really pleased with it

Going to try it with a bar clamp instead if the o ring mount. However the o ring seemed fairly solid.

hammy7272
    Free Member

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280751136243&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Very pleased with mine and the seller answers any questions swiftly.

slimjim78
    Free Member

struggle to get mine to hold full beam for more than a minute or two before it overheats and switches down.
    overall, very good light beam for the money (on full beam) but not quite the be all and end all that some would have you belive. doesnt have the throw I was hoping for either.
    Im currently saving for a Troutie light, british, brighter, better,

z1ppy

Trouties light are great, but his Mini is no brighter than a MJ-872 and cost double the price. I’m not knocking him, I have one, but simply being realist about the cost.
    Not everyone has £200+, and when you can get a unit for half the cost to do the same thing it’s awkward to justify the extra…

Your MJ-872 doesn’t sound well at all though, a friends 872 works on full for ages without issue, and this is the downside. Depending on where you bought it from, fixing/returning it can turn into a lengthy process especially if you bought it from HongKong. Hopefully you got it from one of the UK ebay sellers – they sound quite good with returns/issues. A quick guess would be that it’s overheating is causing it to switch down modes, so you need more thermal past from the headsink to the outer shell but you may not have the paste or be willing to open it up .

[Edit:] As for your “not quite the be all and end all that some would have you belive” comment, I would throughtly agree but they are fricken great lights for the money and simply is what most ppl are interested in.

Where Trout really excels IMO is being ahead of the game, by producing lights which no one else is producing… see his Dominator & spider lights, they look to be beyond awesome.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

My 872 ran for 2hrs and 15 minutes last night on full whack, ran out with about 50m of trail left to negotiate. I had a spare battery with me so decided to go all out on the lumens and was surprised at how it lasted. Awesome.

nbt

Hmm, the ebay seller is only in Chorley too! Was looking at SMudge’s light (http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/4.html) but this might please Mrs NBT better

slimjim78
    Free Member

I agree with ost of your comments zippy, although I wonder how many people are running on level 4 when they think they are on level 5?
    The difference between the two settings is noticable but in the heat of the moment on a twisty trail its sometimes tricky to notice the light has switched down a level unless you physically check.
    My firend has the same ligth and has the same issue.
    Thermal paste may help but itll be a while till I get round to checking.

And yes, I 100% agree that riders on a budget will struggle to afford anything better than MJ872’s but I dotn agree that MJ872’s outclass most more expensive lights.
    My Exposure Toro rated at 975 lumens definately outperforms the 872 (I should hope so too at that price!).
    All in, they (872’s) are very very good and most wont be disappointed with them (im a fussy bugger perhaps!?) , but the age old ‘you get what you pay for’ still stands true.
    Buy from a british supplier, and strongly consider one of Smudge’s lights instead if you can live with slightly less spread but lots more throw.

rocketman
    Free Member

although I wonder how many people are running on level 4 when they think they are on level 5

There’s a level 5? 😯

GW
    Free Member

level 3 = daylight anyway

nbt

Anyone got a beam shot showing the mj-872 next to smudge’s light?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Cheers all thanks for the comments, looking forward to it coming now, said they’ll post at the weekend, so should hopefully be having a go at my first nightride towards the end of next week! 🙂

z1ppy

@ NBT: Beam shot thread

Though I don’t believe the pictures do the P7 or Smudges XML lights justice, even when you realise the post (stick) in the centre of the pictures must be 4ft tall, though it does show how good Trout’s units are.
    Hmm though I would equate the Mj-872 to Trout Mini, that shot does look brighter than my experience of the unit

More shots here, but nothing I’d totally equates to my XML:
    http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/bike-light-database.html
    (edited in during the post below…)

kitebikeski
    Free Member
    nbt

z1ppy – ta. I guess the “XML Bastid Clone” is the one smudge sells, is there an 872 on there under a different name?

z1ppy

as I say I have a trout mini and I’d equate it to the same/similar output to the MJ-872 that my friend has. The shot of the mini on that beam shot page looks better than my experience (different light condition IMO), and make the XM-L look rubbish, though this is not the case IME.

TBH the torchythebatteryboy page gives a slightly better idea if you look at the fluxient XML beamshot but with not as much close by flood, but then does the MJ-872 no justice by having it seeminlgy focused too low. Admittely the fluxient 4x XPG torchy sells on eBay does look an interesting alternative, as it has reasonable flood but lots of reach…

J273
    Free Member

I currently run 3 torches 2 x UltraFire WF-501B CREE XPG R5 and 1 x UltraFire WF-501B SSC-P7-CSXO 3-Mode 900-Lumen on my lid…Ran this setup all last year with no problems.

Only thing which is a pain is battery life.

Im considering the MJ872 will i see a significant improvement using this on the bars compared to the 2 WF-501B’s torches im currently using?

Thanks

coastkid
    Free Member

Has anyone bought the 17.4 Ah Magicshine bottle battery?

http://www.magicshinebikelights.co.uk/open-light-17.4ah-magicshine-bikeray-compatible-bottle-battery.php?it=318&ca=64&p=1&so=0

Bit of an outlay but for running 2 872s on full bore most of the time using a Y connector it would seem to be a good set up, and easy mounted 🙂

motorman
    Free Member

Not bought, but I made my own 😈

Not quite as much ooomph, but 13.2 Ah if running in series, but I have left the 2 batteries running independent, with each pack at 6.6Ah.
    Gives plenty of options when running 2 MJ 872’s 😀

£60 & job done. Already have 2 chargers, so both packs can be recharged at same time.

alzore
    Free Member

got my mj-872 from

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280751136243?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

came next day on a Saturday recorded post for £89. Brilliant service 😀

Janesy
    Free Member

Just got mine and used it tonight. WOW.

dst
    Free Member

Motorman are those packs 6 cells connected as 3 lots of (2 in series)
    And are you using the charger you got with the 872?
    I would like to make one similar.

motorman
    Free Member

I’m not quite sure of the standard configuration of the cells in those packs TBH, as i’m just using them in standard form.

I bought them from Torchy the battery boy. I already had 1 pack with a previous light, then I bought another 6.6AH pack for £30. I use his chargers for that set up.

2 MJ 872’s on the bars…2 packs in the bottle & the original battery in the rucksack More than enough for a good nights riding 😈

Duggan

I’m going to sort myself one of these soon but being a bit slow, can I just clarify something re: the battery.

Is the battery that comes with the £89 Ebay light the same as the battery that comes with the light from the more expensive dealers? Or if I was willing to pay a little extra for a better quality or longer lasting battery should I be looking to buy it from somewhere other than Ebay?

Obviously if the product is exactly the same in everything but price than I’ll just save myself some cash and get it from Ebay, but I have a little cash to spare and would be willing to spend it on a better battery if possible.

toby1

For beam pattern comparisson hed over to the review of lights on road.cc, there is an excellent review on there.

I’m using the 872 from magicshines ebay site at the moment, about a month into use at the moment and it is great. The battery doesn’t hold full charge for long though, but it runs on full power for long enough so far, only given it one full charge to date.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Wow, just picked it up from the post office. It’s like a car headlight! 😀

only thing is, what’s the thoughts on the O-mounts? They solid enough, are should I be looking at something more solid?

seosamh77
    Free Member

And god said, let there be light! took a wee run around the park about an hour ago in pitch blackness, outstanding! Can ye tell i’m chuffed with these? :mrgreen:

O-ring, seemed to be fine, proper test will come when i hit a rocky dh mind…

Duggan

*High 5*

I picked mine up from the post office today. The O ring does seem a bit flimsy but I won’t be able to test it until next week I think.

I know there are alternatives though so not too worried. Happily, it’s loads smaller and lighter than I was expecting.

seosamh77
    Free Member

*high 5* 😀

aye I was expecting it to be noticeable, but it barely is. The battery fits snuggle on the top tube closer to the seat post, so weight in is the middle for me and away from the front! 🙂

Although, currently debating with myself whether i should helmet mount it, need to try both ways anyhow.

garybuckham
    Free Member

MJ-872 are great, essentially bought for night-filming with a GoPro, which does not really show how much light output there is. Hope handlebar clamps work fine, just need a slightly longer bolt.

torchythebatteryboy
    Free Member

The MJ-872 would have a better beam if they did away with the textured lens and fitted a clear lens. It scatters the light wide with very little throw.
    It also has a serious overheating problem. Magicshine only give a 180 day warranty on the battery and charger, which is longer than they usually last.

On the positive side, the power button is really neat – press the top half to increase brightness, press the bottom half to decrease. Saves scrolling through the modes to find the desired setting.

coastkid
    Free Member

My two 872s have been ace, i use one for riding with mates on 3/4 setting mostly, and two for filming,
    All friends riding with various types of magicshine lights and torches now,
    all seem to be going fine, there a no brainer for the money 😀
    Recently got a couple of torches and blogged some stuff about all the lights, 🙂

clicky…

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Magicshine MJ-872?’ is closed to new replies.