Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • tell me about 10mm quick releases
  • bikeryder85
    Free Member

hi all,

just curious about these:

what are they for? can they be used with any hub? I understand they work in “normal” dropouts but what are the advantages?

thanks for the help!

bikeryder85
    Free Member

P.S. I should probably state that I’m def interested if they will offer an advantage and I don’t need a new frame/fork to get it (if I need new wheels thats ok.)

thanks again!

steezysix
    Free Member

Stiffer and stronger but slightly heavier. I got them with my Superstar wheels and wouldn’t consider switching back to regular QR.

bikeryder85
    Free Member

thanks…but can they work with other hubs? or are they just for 10mm hubs?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

You need a hub that can either take or has a 10mm option as a normal QR rear is 5mm diameter.

It will fit in the normal dropouts.

I have a DT one on my Nomad – never had a normal QR so I can’t really compare.

steezysix
    Free Member

Only 10mm hubs or ones than you can get adaptors for.

bikeryder85
    Free Member

ok…thanks guys…I’ll be sure to put those requirements in on my search for wheels.

nicko74

Thing to bear in mind – if you’re riding a hardtail the effect of adding a 10mm axle at the back may be marginal. If it’s a FS bike then fair enough, the added stiffness could be noticeable.

RustyMac

Your second pic is of a 9mm Front hub and skewer, where as pictures 1 and 3 are of 10mm rear skewers.

If you are planning on getting new or new to you wheels you may want to concider something that is also going to be able to be converted into the other 2 main front and rear standards as well, these being

Front Hub Standards
    Standard QR -5mm
    9mm QR
    15mm QR
    20mm QR

Rear Hub Standards
    Standard QR – 5mm
    10mm QR
    12mm QR

There are a number of hubs on the market that would allow these, the most common ones are Hope Pro 2 hubs. By getting wheels that can be adapted easily to all the curent standards should allow you easier upgrading of other paerts in the future.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘tell me about 10mm quick releases’ is closed to new replies.