Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • tell ma about Mark Warner; the holiday people.
  • alpin
    Free Member

as above. any experience of dealing with them? worked for them? been on holiday with them?

up-market service or run of the mill tour operator? (i.e. crap)

have a job interview with them coming up. would like to find out more.

cheers

J

higgo
    Free Member

We've had one ski holiday with them. It was more expensive than usual but better. The difference was mostly in the quality of the childcare. They also had a very high staff/customer ratio.

If we had the money we'd use them for all our hols but (particularly now we're tied to school hols) we have a choice – one MW ski hol per year or two where we rough it a bit. We go for the two cheap ones.

Happy to answer any more specific questions if it helps.

CliveA

If you're considering working for (or holidaying with) MW, I'd suggest you also look at Neilson, particularly if we're talking summertime stuff.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

My girlfriend worked a winter season for Mark Warner, and a friend has done both winter and summer seasons for them.

No better or worse than the other tour operators, you still get the same amount of money and living conditions. However, being a larger company, there is more opportunity to move from resort to resort as returning staff over both summer and winter seasons. There are also more career type opportunities if you want to move away from season work.

alpin
    Free Member

ski chalet maintenance job. bit of DIY and driving about. fix bit and bobs when things go wrong and liase with local firms to put right what i've bodged bigger jobs.

i'm a chippy by trade and speak german like, well, a german. but, you (i) need to attend an interview in london for the position despite the fact i'm already on the edge of the alps. bit ironic, really.

torsionlake: what does "same amount of money" mean? what's considered 'same'…?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

We were in the alps in 02/03 and 03/04. I was on £70 a week as chalet staff (not MW), my gf was a nanny for MW in the first season so earned slightly more I think £90. Obviously accomodation, lift pass (usually only a resort pass on your first season) and ski hire is included in your package (oh, and tips, but most UK tourists are tight as). There is usually a small retainer/bonus built in if you complete the season. It really doesn't vary much – there is a vast pool of applicants to be exploited, so no need to pay more money.

Edit to say – the better paid jobs tend to include less time to ski. Gf only skiied on her day and a half off, where as I had 1 day off, but could be on the slopes by 10:30ish to 4:30ish each day if I got a move on.

alpin
    Free Member

time to yourself/on the slopes?

do you end up spunking your 70€ each week? did you manage to save anything whilst there?

cheers

ScottChegg
    Free Member

They have a good creche which is slightly underused.

jimmy

I did 2 seasons in St Anton in between / after Uni. Probably no different to any other company to work for but had a good laugh because one of the biggest bars in resort – Scottys – is owned by them (and another since is half owned (Bar Cuba if its still there). I think its similar in other resorts – they make tons of money from their bars.

where you gonna work? If St Anton I still know one of the managers, a good mate since. He is (was) good with disappearing bar tabs…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘tell ma about Mark Warner; the holiday people.’ is closed to new replies.