Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Teething Twins… Help!
  • DarrenH

Anyone got any advice about helping babies teething pain?
    We've tried just about every gel/liquid/powder you can buy but nothing seems very effective.
    I keep getting told to try rubbing brandy on the little 'uns gums and put a drop in each bottle.
    I'm not too sure about this to be honest, any ideas people?

monkeychild
    Free Member

Ashton and parsons tetthing powder with calpol is a winning combo.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We use Nelson's Powder for our twins and they are hooked on it like coke!

If it is really bad pain you can use Calpol and then alternate it with Baby Nurofen so they can have more doses if really needed. We did this with Evie recently (on the recommendation of the doctors) when she had a really bad ear infection in both ears.

One question though – how do you get a baby to accept a dose of either without making them so distraught? We had terrible screaming last night with Izzi (mix of bad cold and teething).

Marmoset
    Free Member

Teething rings that you can put in the fridge seemed to work best on our lad – something cold to chew on.

thatscold
    Free Member

The joys of Twins! My boys are a year old, and I'm quickly learning that once they get over one thing, they then move on to the next aliment. When we need to give them Calpol we give it in a syringe whilst giving them a bottle of milk, quick slight of hand. Although this has resulted in projectile vomiting from time to time!

Good luck, I feel your pain!

Lactic
    Free Member

Cold cucumber to chomp on seemed quite soothing for our daughter.

djglover
    Free Member

We give ours Calbrofen, seems to work a treat. They know it works too so they lap it right up. The powders and gel give some relief if the Iboprofen was administed <4 hours ago.

Molars seem to be causing more pain than ever, but the Calbrofen always saves the day

ciron
    Free Member

Ashton and parsons teething powder with calpol is a winning combo.

Plus Baby Nurofen. And gel.

Just don't ask how long teething lasts!

woody2000

Tried Anbesol? http://www.anbesol.com/

Make sure you pronounce it correctly at the Pharmacist, you don't want to be rubbing Anusol on the little 'uns gums! 🙂

akira

Teething gel and Calpol here, one year old twins, Oscar has five teeth coming through at the moment so a few loud nights.
    Seems to have gottne over it quite quickly, cucumber during the day and soft foods seem to help as well.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Calpol. Genius stuff.

Sam's got 5 through so far, and chomping on an apple out of the fridge seems to be helping him.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

How many twins!!!!!

Roll call time

Evie and Izzi, non identical (although we have been asked if they are 'nearly identical'), 9 months old next Monday.

woool
    Free Member

I second the Ashton & Parsons (aka baby cocaine) with Calpol.

None of the gels, gummys, rings really helped us – but some raw carrot was good to chomp on.

StuF

+1 for Calpol

akira

Oscar and Hamish, identical and one last Tuesday.
    If they are really keeping you awake all night the worst thing to do is lie awake looking at the ceiling, if you're going to be awake anyway get up and do something. TV, book or something, stops you going slowly mad.
    Speaking of which I hear someone stirring next door.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

if you're going to be awake anyway get up and do something.

I can honestly say (I am gonna kick myself for saying it though I can tell) that we haven't had it that bad yet – we have always managed to settle them with sorting them out (putting them back on their backs, giving them their 'blankies' etc), giving them a cuddle if necessary or (as a last resort) Calpol + milk.

Tonight is gonna be hell for me now isn't it?

petrieboy

Calpol in a syringe for my lad – he grabs is off you and sooks it out himself (so ashamed)

DarrenH

Freddie and Stanley, non identical coming up to 8 months 1 week.
    Thanks for the advice guys, I think we're trying a combination of all of the above ideas.
    Guess I'll have to keep the brandy for myself (helps me sleep) 😉

muddyfoxcourier
    Free Member

Luke and Adam .
    10 .
    Teething !
    Ha . Try to get them off the Wii.

Seriously though , when we had teething problems , I tried mountainbiking .
    That's – mountainbiking .
    Available all over .

Worked pretty good for colic too.

judderman
    Free Member

Lottie & Molly – 10 yrs

Ahhhh….teething….I remember the days 🙂

thatscold
    Free Member

Oliver & Thomas, 13 months….. please no more colds this winter.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

please no more colds this winter.

I am with you on that one. One after the other at the moment (just coming out of the latest set of runny noses and a house smelling of Karvol.

DarrenH

Tried the infacol and teething powder combo last night.
    Only one wake up at 4 am for both babies!
    That combined with night nurse medicine and red wine made for the best sleep I've had in 8 months! 😀

munchiepumps
    Free Member

Bill and Ted, 3 years old in may.

Have you tried Chamomilla Crystals, they work like a charm and got us through some bad teething nights, also help them get off to sleep when feeling under the weather.

Can be bought from most on line health shops.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Avoid the alcohol, you may get a minor sedative effect from it, but naff all pain releif.

Three things to consider:

Systemic pain relief, either paracetamol or nurofen (or branded equivalents)

Topical pain relief, either gels or inn the form of cool items such as the fridgeable teething rings.

Systemic pain relief needs to be given regularly, so as the 4 or 6 hours (8 hours for brufen) is coming up, expect the kids to be more upset & cranky, and be prepared to dose them up.

Kids also seemk prone to becoming unwell while teething, usually snots & coughs, sometimes a sore throat, so don't assume evrything is just teething, if any fever creeps in think of getting GP to see.

Pembo
    Free Member

Sian and Louise 17. It doesn't seem 5 minutes since they were teething and now they are starting to drive 😕

And remember folks the odds of another set of twins comes down from 1 in 100 to 1 in 8. That got me down the clinic for the snip pronto.

DarrenH

Ahh! don't mention the snip Pembo!
    That's another whole set of horror stories 😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

nurofen is a branded equivalent 😉

theotherjonv

carrot batons in the fridge, or also Biccypegs (I think that's their name). Although it hurts, my pair seemed to like to chew on them and it helped i think to cut the gums and ease the tooth through.

My eldest (6) is now teething again, with a first adult molar coming through. At least we can explain why the medicine is a good idea this time.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

nurofen is a branded equivalent

Pedant 😉

OK, Ibuprofen or branded equivalent.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

munchiepumps – Member
    Bill and Ted, 3 years old in may.

Really? That's genius!! 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Alternating baby paracetamol and baby ibuprofen (no need for the brand names) just about managed it for us. We fed our little one from a syringe, she seemed to like that.

djglover
    Free Member

it makes it easier to move to something harder

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Teething Twins… Help!’ is closed to new replies.