Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Technical help needed: broken rear maxle
  • slowrider
    Free Member

So I broke my new bike.

Was just putting my rear wheel back in; wheel straight in the dropouts, maxle through, started to engage the threads, couple of turns and it felt a bit stiff. Stopped and went to back it off but the lever broke the surrounding collar clean off. So now there’s nothing for the lever to turn against. Took the lever assembly off to see if there’s something I can unscrew it with underneath. Nope..

I’m stumped. Anyone got any ideas?

chrischim
    Free Member

Can you use an allen key in it from the non-lever side?

slowrider
    Free Member

Not that I can see. That would be a good idea though. Take note rockshox!

RoterStern
    Free Member

I just put put a pair of pliers on the axle and twisted it when exactly the same happened to my Maxxle. They really are a crap design ,aren’t they?

slowrider
    Free Member

There’s not enough axle sticking out to get any purchase. Think I’ll take it to a shop before I resort to hitting it with something.

What did you replace yours with?

kayak23

I think you have limited options to replace as I think they may use a unique thread size.

It’s possible you could get an expanding wall fixing, gently expand it inside the axle then try to unscrew that?

slowrider
    Free Member

Good call, think I’ve got some of them in the shed

paladin

tap a torx key in the opposite side and use that to turn it out?

Northwind

kayak23 – Member

I think you have limited options to replace as I think they may use a unique thread size.

It’s not unique but you have to be careful to match- there’s at least 2 different rear thread standards. I replaced mine with a solid axle from what I think was a Banshee. Reverse COmponents do one too.

(obviously if it’s a new bike you should consider warranty! But I like bolt-throughs anyway. I’m a long time defender of maxles but the current ones aren’t great.)

slowrider
    Free Member

Whilst it is new I’m blaming user error. I’ve either lined it up badly or got some grit in there I reckon. Save my warranty karma for when I actually need it! I’ll check it out hit the reverse components one, like idea of a bolt up jobby

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Technical help needed: broken rear maxle’ is closed to new replies.