• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by bubs.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Team Viewer – safe?
  • bubs

I finally got around to installing Team Viewer on my parents computer after a recommendation on here as a way to tackle their little IT problems. It all seems to work nicely and will be a great help but the ease of installation and control made me query the security. I haven’t just given no-gooders an easy way into my folks computer have I?

Drac

So, it was you.

bubs

No ransom demand yet.

prawny

Our it contractor uses it on our computers at work. We’re a small company so don’t have a dedicated person/team. They seem fairly hot on viruses/malware etc so assume it’s ok.

jam-bo

If they give someone their password, very unsafe.

Tell them not to.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

We use it on our systems at the hospital and nothing’s gone wrong.

Greybeard
    Free Member

So far as I can tell it’s safe. I use it to update PCs for my mother, sister and mother-in-law. I have the IDs recorded, so only need to ask them for the one-time pin. If a password is needed on their PC, they type it.

el_boufador

Yep, legit

Cougar

It’s safe, in as far as any sort of remote access is safe.

Personally I’d set the server to run on demand rather than as an unattended service Just In Case, as it’s one more thing to be a potential attack vector.
    But it’s a good product and I use it a lot.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve also used it a lot – it’s used by a lot of IT professionals. As Cougar says, if you have it running automatically it does provide an attack vector, so safer not to – but I’ve never heard of it being used to break in by somebody when used with a strong password (and good password security). When I’ve used it it’s always run on startup.

footflaps

Personally I’d set the server to run on demand rather than as an unattended service Just In Case, as it’s one more thing to be a potential attack vector.

Although with a non IT savvy user this might come back to bite you if they can’t run it when they need help….

bubs

Thank you

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Team Viewer – safe?’ is closed to new replies.