Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Tea tray – yes or no ?
  • cotic853
    Free Member

Following the washing up bowl thread ……… we are planning a new kitchen and in response to our question – “where do we keep our trays then” the designer said “no one uses trays any more”. That can’t be right surely, they are so useful for carrying things, eating off and safely laying out small components in the garage

AndyP
    Free Member

Definitely a no.

LoCo
    Free Member

House full of people, tea/beer/wine? not walking to the kitchen 10 times to carry all the glasses/mugs through, of course you need trays, well unless you never have anyone to visit

chakaping
    Free Member

Wish I knew where to get a good dinner tray.

Any recommendations?

🙂

HolmwoodDave
    Free Member

We keep ours on top of the wall cabinets….. I’d be lost without it!!
    Not the best solution but it works, I suppose next they will be saying that you don’t need a place to hang the tea towels cos you have a dishwasher that drys everything for you!

Dyffers
    Free Member

But…what tea tray for a wet, rooty kitchen?

bigyinn
    Free Member

we are planning a new kitchen [snip] the designer said…

Thats where you went wrong. Never listen to a person who calls themselves a designer when they are nothing of the sort.

nbt

trays rock, sack your “designer” and get someone in who can do a proper job

AndyP
    Free Member

We do have a tray but it is used solely for tobogganing down the grand staircase. It’s kept in a small cupboard in the scullery.

Most of our guests have hands, with which to hold glasses.

binners

No tray? Madness, I tell you

*walks away from thread, shaking head ruefully and tutting*

mogrim

Just don’t store them on top of a fridge-freezer with a large gap at the back. Top Tip from Chez Mogrim, who has at least 3 of the damn things stuck down behind his fridge.

thepurist

In designer world they have an ‘iTray’ app on their iPads which gives them a choice of Cath Kidston backgrounds to use when they rest their petits fours and canapes on the screen.

In the real world trays still come in handy – how else does one’s breakfast in bed get delivered?

messiah
    Free Member

You have just met a kitchen salesman not a designer. We had one of them who couldn’t understand why we would want to cook on a gas hob and not go for the induction hob he wanted to sell us… twunt 👿

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mrs TJ and I argue over this one – she uses one I do not

TimP
    Free Member

We keep ours on top of the wall cabinets….. I’d be lost without it!!
    Not the best solution but it works, I suppose next they will be saying that you don’t need a place to hang the tea towels cos you have a dishwasher that drys everything for you!

Tea towel holder

We have the black cat and the Dalmatian (on different walls to stop fighting obviously), but both feel a little bit wrong when putting the towel in…

Tracey

Yes, how else would I get breakfast in bed

DrRSwank
    Free Member

A tea tray is a truly civilised thing. Nothing better then when I’m working (ahem) at home – I load up a tray with:-

Cup
    Glass of juice
    Teapot (another truly civilised item)
    Brekkie bowl

And then I can sit happily nomming away with a nice level area to put my breakfast.

Only heathens wouldn’t use or own such a thing.

fasthaggis

The butler looks after the trays,I have not the faintest idea where he stores them 😉

AngusWells

All because the lady loves………….

Tea tray, no.

Mik Tray, yes.

avdave2

We’ve a slot at the end of the run of cupboards which lines up with the wine rack above. That’s the rack for white wines as it’s next to the fridge.

GregMay
    Free Member

Tea tray…don’t be silly.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tea trays are also ace as late night toboggans when staying in houses with large carpeted stairs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Drrswank – I use a table for that purpose

t-p26
    Free Member

Surely its “your kitchen”. You have,what you want. If he says no, tell him to fur cough???

cotic853
    Free Member

Thanks for your support for the whole concept of tea trays and the important part they play in everyday life.
    As an engineer I am aware of the importance of the client’s requirements in producing a design. Obviously ‘product selectors’ are not. 😉

MussEd
    Free Member

Ours are in the big drawer with tea towels, oven gloves etc…HTH

relliott6879
    Free Member

Surely a kitchen designer is supposed to design a kitchen around the needs and desires of you, the paying customer? You want trays? Then he should incorporate that into his design. You tell him what you want, not the other way round!

On the question of ‘to tray or not to tray’ though, it’s definitely ‘to tray’. They’re useful for all sorts of stuff, but primarily they stop the bottom of your hot dinner plate burning your lap!

Bregante

We keep ours in our hostess trolley, obviously.

scaredypants

Bregante – 70s on line 2: Are you coming home for tea ?
    (Vesta chinese banquet, apparently)

Bregante

Me, 70’s?

Never. Anyway that’s me off to bed. Night night

*sets teasmaid for 5.30.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I like trays.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

This thread has upset me. We don’t have any proper trays, we have a long skinny one to carry cups of tea, there’s a wicker type one, Infact, my wife will no doubt be able to produce a tray for any situation. However. There’s nowt I could eat my curry off in front of the telly when she goes out.

Bregante

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpu-9bwsVhw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Built a tray holding section in one kitchen cupboard.

Tray Chic…

fourbanger
    Free Member

Mrs TJ and I argue over this

Can’t imagine that TJ!

AndyP
    Free Member

There’s nowt I could eat my curry off in front of the telly when she goes out.
    Apart from the fact that watching TV whilst eating is around 99.9% of WRONG, have you considered using a plate?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Tea tray – yes or no ?’ is closed to new replies.