Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tax Refund – How long?
  • ScottChegg
    Free Member

I’ve been promised a tax refund from HMRC. Lovely, already spent in my head, but how long does it take?

I’ve waited 4 weeks now since the letter to tell me it’s coming, but how long is it usually? I’ve tried ringing, but got old and mouldy waiting on the phone.

Should I be worried it’s gone to someone else?

BoardinBob

I’m still waiting despite being told it would be with me at the end of June. Came back from holiday on Saturday to a letter from them saying they have different figures from those in my 2009/10 & 2010/11 P11Ds so can I send them a copy. WTF!?!

GrahamS

In my experience they are currently going back through all your tax affairs for the past 12 years to see if they can claw anything back or, even better, find a larger amount of money that you owe them, so they can teach you not to be so cheeky.

Rio

Last one I was due they paid it into my account as soon as I’d pressed the submit button on their on-line tax site.

Unfortunately they’ve since decided it was a mistake and have asked for it back plus interest. 🙁 They seem to be being particularly ruthless at the moment so as GrahamS says they’re probably looking for reasons not to pay it.

highclimber
    Free Member

took me 6 months to get back my overpaid tax from last tax year! I should have asked for the compound interest lost as a result of their slow processing times but I doubt they are capable of pulling their fingers out of their asses to even entertain a snotty letter asking for a few £

craigxxl
    Free Member

Letters to HMRC aren’t getting opened for months so try calling and backup the phone call with a recorded letter with details of who you’d spoken to.

Most of our refunds are coming through within 2 weeks at the moment but some of the larger refunds £thousands are taking up to 3 months as they request further evidence. If they have delayed a refund you should get interest added automatically but don’t be expecting a lot with interest rates so low.

Drac

My Mrs got one the other day about 3 weeks after they told he she was due one.

gazc
    Free Member

just got my cheque, got the notification letter 2 weeks ago – the tax year its from is 2007/2008 just before i left work to do a masters degree 😯

Drac

Just checked they were less than a week apart, not checked the tax year.

mudshark
    Free Member

I put my bank details in online mid-June but it wasn’t transferred in so tried again a a week later, after a few more weeks a cheque arrived.

They are sorry though

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14314691

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tax Refund – How long?’ is closed to new replies.