Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tax Rebates
  • steve-g
    Free Member

It seems like everyone I know is getting a tax rebate. Loads of my mates, about half of the 10 or so people I work with but not me.

Then this weekend my wife (who I met at work and works for the same company as me) got one too. When will it be my turn? What are the criteria HMRC are working through to get to these???

Stoner
    Free Member

Think of it this way: those gettign tax rebates have been lending money to the government without interest all year, and are now just getting it paid back to them. Theyre the ones losing out.

If you want a nice treat at the end of the year “tax” yourself each month with a standing order into a saving pot, then miraculously give yourself a rebate just in time for the CRC sales 😉

steve-g
    Free Member

Stoner, I agree whole heartedly. However my point is the people I work with are getting them. These people will have been paying the same tax as me, with everything handled by the same payroll office…….where’s my free money???

To be fair the wife’s rebate includes a “use of funds” figure for the interest on tax over paid so any delay will add to this I guess

maccruiskeen

being on the same payroll is irrelevant, tax taken at source will be determined by your tax code which is determined by the HMRC, so you can all be on the same payroll (and wage) but be paying different amounts of tax.

My dad was on the wrong tax code for 8 years, now that was a meaty rebate! The error was because the HMRC thought he was dead!

jota180
    Free Member

The error was because the HMRC thought he was dead!

They were taxing him more because they thought he was dead?
    less likely to complain I suppose 🙂

maldwynyefe
    Free Member

They were taxing him more because they thought he was dead?
    less likely to complain I suppose

i agree ! 🙄

jota180
    Free Member

i agree ! 🙄

you seem to do a lot of rolling eyes maldwynyete – what’s your point?

maccruiskeen

The error happened when he’d changed jobs so he was on a new wage but with his employers paying him on his old tax code. After a while my mum started getting these letters “Your husband – is he still alive?” and she’d write back “Yes”, then later “Are you still married” “yes” “Does his still live with you” “yes…..why?” and the fessed up that they owed him enough back tax to buy a new car.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tax Rebates’ is closed to new replies.