Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Tattoo`s ? .. hurt much ??
  • michaelbowden

SD-253, you seem to have a fairly large chip there.

At 37 I had my first one done. It’s a one-off piece, unless someone else copies it from a photo of my arm no-one else will have one similar. I chose a tattooist whose work I liked and commissioned it. A bit like commissioning a painting, but it’s on my skin. We worked together for several weeks on my ideas and images I liked, which the artist interpreted. it’s great, I love it. It means something to me.

I like looking at great paintings, photo’s and Tattoo’s. Maybe I just appreciate good art. The popularity of Tattooing means there are a lots of bad Tattoos and bad Tattooists. But there are also a great number of fantastic artists who’s medium happens to be skin.

Look past the rubbish out there and try to appreciate what can be done with ink and a needle.

yunki
    Free Member

yeah.. SD-253, I think your class distinction is a bit outdated sunbeam..

The tattoo industry has been actively marketing it’s product to appeal to a wider audience since the mid ’80s after the slump in trade following the end of the rock revival..

Although there may still be an aspect of truth in what you’re trying to say you have to consider the changes over the last 40 or 50 years regarding culture and class divide..

That’s just my point of view as an industry insider..

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

It’s a one-off piece, unless someone else copies it from a photo of my arm no-one else will have one similar. it’s great, I love it. It means something to me.

This. Mine has a lot of meaning behind it too, that only i know (and those close to me). I’d wanted a tatt since i was about 15, and waited until i was 30 to get one to be sure i still wanted one, and it took me a long time to decide where/what i wanted too. No regrets, and i can’t see that i’ll regret it in the future given i spent time making it personal to me.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’ve never been humble in my life 😆 you make assumptions about people with tattoos and you make assumptions about me.

all my tattoo work was either drawn by me or custom designed for me. all my tattoos mean something to me or remind me of a specific point in my life where i’ve learnt a lesson or gone through a big change.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I can confidently say that a tattoo hurts less than a bikini wax. Not sure if that’s a useful point of reference for you! 😆

IanMunro
    Free Member

all my tattoos mean something to me or remind me of a specific point in my life where i’ve learnt a lesson or gone through a big change

I’ve got memories for that, and when were both old and senile, sitting in our own wee watching countdown in the nursing home, I’ll be sat the contentedly having forgotten what I once knew, you’ll be sat there racking your brain trying to desperately trying to work out what that faded and shrivelled blob on your arm is 😀

philconsequence
    Free Member

at least i’ll be surprised everytime i look in the mirror! “the nurses have been drawing on me again” 😆

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Phil – I’ve a mind to get Mrs Mitch to sort you out a lovely knitted tattoo obscurer.

philconsequence
    Free Member

that would get my lovejuices flowing! i’m worried if my tattoos are covered up i wont feel manly though 😥 do you think mrsmitch could weave me a crotch enhancer that attaches firmly to the tattoo obscurer?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Well she is an O.T phil, so weaving’s pretty much second nature to her.

philconsequence
    Free Member

ohhhh she should start selling knitted condoms, i know i need a new one… too many times through the wash and its grown eyes#

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Wow great answers there folks …. thanks for all the replys ..
    well, had the tattoo done, and yes it does hurt in a fashion, more sore than hurt, got plenty of nappy rash cream on now, so feeling better …
    as for feeling … Manly or a follower of fashion .. being my motivation for getting a tattoo, you couldnt be more wrong if you tried !!
    Ive wanted a tattoo for many years, but could never justify the cost and there was always something more important that needed the money, namely providing for my 3 kids and a mortgage … its only now the kids are growing up that we have a disposable income for such things !!
    Thanks again

xherbivorex
    Free Member

wow.
    sd-253, you’re a worldy chap aren’t you?

i had my first tattoo when i was about 20.
    now, at the age of 43, i’m in the process of discussing the final designs for my feet to get tattooed. they’ll be my 19th and 20th pieces (although 10 of the current ones sort of blend in to most of a left arm sleeve).
    i don’t regret any of them, nor do i dislike any. they all mean something to me, were designed by me or close friends or custom work by artists based on my ideas. except for the JMC/RHCP inspired fleur de lis band around my upper left arm (which holds very special memories for me).

and yeah, some of them really hurt, some of them were a bit uncomfortable and some of them a doddle.

SD-253
    Free Member

You can change your shoes when they become unfashionable you can change your hairdo, you can change your jacket you can change your underware you can’t change that tattoo that is the gist of what I am saying Tattoos are a fashion at the moment that will change just like everything else does.

yunki
    Free Member

Tattoos are a fashion at the moment tradition that will change just like everything else does is becoming more widespread and socially acceptable at the moment

there you go twinkle.. just thought I’d help you out seeing as you’re struggling to keep up.. 😀

Euro
    Free Member

There’s definitely an element of fashion in the world of tattoo. A few years ago it was all the rage to have a badly drawn flag of choice and the initials of your favourite paramilitary organisation on your forearm or chest. Maybe even a ‘Madness’ M. Or you could have went for the pirate look – heart/snake/tiger/dagger, that sort of thing.

There’s a greater selection of themes available today. A bit like ringtones really. 😆

I’ve no tats yet, but plenty of scars to remind me of specific moments on life’s learning curve.

dogbert
    Free Member

StumpyM4……do we get to see the tattoo?

and good on you for getting one, I fall into the camp that loves tattoo’s and while plenty of people don’t like them and are overly vocal about it I’m sure they’ve never done anything they’ve wanted to do with their life.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’m four hours in to my latest… Still got another 3 to go.

I found the mist uncomfortable bit was when she sketched the outline on with loads of different coloured Biros.

🙂

Blower
    Free Member

bloomin made my eyes water a bit on the the inner triceps 🙂

i have a full arm sleeve and and a few other uns

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

yeah sorry .. nice tattoo there teetosugars ..

already planning another inside my other forearm 🙂

finmac
    Free Member

I have a full sleeve tattoo, among a few others. I don’t regret any of them nor do I think it likely I ever will and am fast approaching 40. Nor do many of my friends most of whom are heavily tattooed, so I think SD253’s conceited “advice” should pretty much be ignored, anyway, I digress…..

….does it hurt? Well, try to imagine the feeling of a very sharp needle or small cluster of very sharp needles breaking the surface of your skin and scratching around for a prolonged period of time 🙂 Generally the bonier the area, the more it hurts………IME at least.

slimjim78
    Free Member

it took 15 hours to cover up my tribal.. and another 15 to balance it out on the other arm.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Tattoo`s ? .. hurt much ??’ is closed to new replies.