• This topic has 110 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • tattoo: opinions needed
  • rbrstr
    Free Member

Having my first tattoo done to celebrate hitting 40 and quitting the fags, but not sure if I’m brave enough to have the tattoo done on my calf though. The tattoo is of me doing a thetford round done in black and grey. I need cyclists opinions… would you think it really daft to have a tattoo there?

DWH
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve got one on each calf. It’s like someone sawing your leg off with a blunt Stanley knife.
    I’m gonna get another.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Love the tattoo locations guide! 😀

smell_it
    Free Member

Have you got a pic of the image you will be having done? Go on, spoil us.

Harris
    Free Member
    rbrstr
    Free Member

Lol, will put a picture up when I get in

mboy
    Free Member

That diagram above makes me laugh!

To be honest though, all the haters are gonna chime in but it’s your body, do what you want. Personally, just because of the “social acceptance in the workplace” phoenomena where people do (wrongly) still get judged on what they look like, I wouldn’t get one where it could possibly be visible whilst in work attire, but that said ive known a couple of guys with tattooed heads and necks who were actually some of the nicest people you might meet.

Been thinking of getting one myself for a while, but the problem is I don’t know what the hell I could get that I would want on my body forever. As an ex GF said to me ages ago, if you get bored of a piercing you can just take it out, not so with a tattoo… So still very undecided. Was dating (briefly) a girl last year who was very heavily tattooed, her ex ran a tattoo shop, and to be honest it was quite cool, though she did get an undue amount of attention just because of the tattoos, often positive (she had done a couple of tattoo mag shoots in the past so hers was top notch art), but sometimes negative.

DezB
    Free Member

Only you can decide if a tattoo is right for you.
    It’s with you forever mate, so if you’re having doubts…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple. Hurt like hell, but glad I have them. Both have a very special meaning to me.

rbrstr
    Free Member

Well, I work in motorsport, so its unlikely to be viewed as unacceptable. I just have slight reservations I would be viewed as a bit of a nob! Mainly as I live and die in shorts 24/7

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I’m not a hater, though I would never have one myself, but …………. I do find it quite funny that every time we have a tattoo thread the supporters talk of “expressing their individuality” and yet so many seek approval for what they are having done. Just an observation.

Carry on.

BB

snaps
    Free Member

My patriotic calf decor is 25 years old now & I don’t regret it – pain is similar to that feeling you get when trying to rub grit out of a bad graze when you’ve slid down the trail after an off!

tommid
    Free Member

The tattoo is of me doing a thetford round done in black and grey.

Huh? So its a tattoo of you?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

no

YOu want an opinion – don’t do it is mine.

rbrstr
    Free Member

Yes, its a black and gray portrait of moi

davidjones15
    Free Member

Your tattoo, put it where you want. If you’re asking for opinions i think you should wait a bit before having it done.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Whatever you do, pick a good artist, not just the nearest tatoo shop.

alpin
    Free Member

that said ive known a couple of guys with tattooed heads and necks who were actually some of the nicest people you might meet.

and some of them haven’t been…

one geezer i worked with had tats all over his hands and head. he’d done some time inside.

his best one was a self-made one on his forehead. he stood in a mirror and proceeded to etch “SKINS” into his head. only it doesn’t say “SKINS” it says “2KINS”.

beej

You plan to have a tattoo of yourself? It’s a bit.. Alexander Vinokourov

I guess it depends if the image looks anything like you. If it does, then no no no no no. If it doesn’t, go for it.

v8ninety

ir_bandito – Member

I’ve got a couple. Hurt like hell, but glad I have them. Both have a very special meaning to me.

This, IMO, is the best (only good?) reason to permanently mark your body. I’ve ummed and arred about getting a tat or two done for years, but never been happy (or confident that I will still like it in years to come)enough with any of my ideas to go through with it.

Oh and one other thing, go large or go home. Nowt worse than silly little tattoos on people. Proportion is everything! If your doing it, do it right!

rbrstr
    Free Member

Like this:

thegreatape
    Free Member

I think that looks quite good. A bit like a Banksy maybe.

druidh
    Free Member

At least increase the wheel size in the image. You don’t want to permanently scar yourself with yesterdays technology.

simonralli2
    Free Member

That’s so funny that guide as I can now say I have a socially acceptable rebellious tattoo 🙂

Looks good rbrstr.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Oh and one other thing, go large or go home. Nowt worse than silly little tattoos on people. Proportion is everything! If your doing it, do it right!

What he said.

Don’t go tramp stamp, go supersize.. make it ‘fit’ your body.

Not convinced a tattoo of ones self is the way forward though.. but if you love the image then blinking go for it. Better to regret having it than regret never doing it, and to all the haters, WTF does it matter what you think about it when you are old? You will be OLD, wrinkly, undesirable, ready for death. At least the other fogies in the old folks home that didn’t get tattoo’d won’t dare steal your porridge.

alpin
    Free Member

i wanted to have a chain ring tattooed on the inside of my calf (like the imprint left behind when you press your leg against the chainring). then i ended up having a stupid crash and now have a scar instead….

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Monster Energy scar, radsick dude!

alpin
    Free Member

everyone said marzocchi… which is ironic as i’ve only got RS forks…

schrickvr6
    Free Member

It’ll be monster when it goes septic. 😛

IvanDobski
    Free Member

My brother has a large maori style tatoo down each calf. It looks odd, in a vertically asymmetric kinda way. I’ve a couple of tatoos and am always thing of more but I’d never get any on my lower legs, just looks wrong to me. The bigger they are the more it looks weird as well.

(Maori style design not method)

samuri
    Free Member

I enjoyed my tat. I’m planning another. The first was a bit noddy but says a lot about me. The next will say something similar but I want it to be a lot tighter.
    It’s not like a real scar, granted but I’ve already got lots of them.

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

Im covered in tattoos. go nuts i say its your body. never had a problem with jobs. although it can attract the wrong attention on a night out in the town were i live. Wouldnt get that from one on your calf though. i will say this.. its noted that they can be somewhat addictive.

Northwind

rbrstr – Member

Yes, its a black and gray portrait of moi

Will the tattoo be represented on the tattoo? If not, I’m out.

alpin
    Free Member

^^?

toys19
    Free Member

NW+1

kerv
    Free Member

Looks pretty cool to me rbrstr, don’t recognise you from Thetford though. 🙂

DrP

I’ve got a tattoo of myself, but it’s full scale and completely covers my whole skin.
    To look at me you’d think you were looking ‘at me’, but it’s actually a perfect complete ink covering….

DrP

HermanShake
    Free Member

Tattoos are a gamble. I love both of mine (left upper arm, right calf), they each mean a lot in a subtle way.

A tattoo of yourself seems a bit (how do I say this delicately?)….. erm egocentric. I don’t know what your personality is like, but people will definitely rip it out of you unless you are arrogant/ironic/both enough to have a self portrait on your leg.

Get something in the same place, but less cocky 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘tattoo: opinions needed’ is closed to new replies.