Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Tarting up a house to sell it
  • BigJohn

Our house has been on the market for a long while and whilst we’re not desperate to sell, we do want to.

I’ve asked a couple of estate agents why it’s not getting a lot of viewers and they both agree that some of the dark wood and dark carpets are putting people off, as well as lack of double glazing. It’s an old place – 1830s and fairly big. Here if you’re interested

So we’re thinking about spending a bit on tarting it up. We’ve decided to take out a lot of the dark red carpets and replace with pale carpets and with pale Karndean in the hall, but the rather nice walnut stained staircase and skirtings and fireplaces will be a real pain to paint white, especially as we think they look “period” rather than just old fashioned.

Before we do some of the work we want to get some “Phil & Kirstie” style advice on what will attract viewers and offers and what will just be a waste of time and money.

Other than go through the hell of watching a load of crap daytime TV style property programmes, I don’t know where to start. Anyone?

vanilla83
    Free Member

– It’s over priced by a lot.

– Your current agent isn’t refreshing the advert often enough; they need to delete it off Zoopla and re-upload otherwise everyone will see it’s been on for nearly 18 months (!)

– think about taking it off the market for 6 months to give it time to be forgotten.

– the house itself is fine and I can’t see anything that will put people off offering if they liked it. But again, its overpriced by a lot.

/edit – and the advert is terrible. Get your agent to actually write about the house rather than listing each room. Drives me mad.

andyl
    Free Member

The garden looks okay…

tbh the rest I would rip a a lot of it out, some due to being quite a bit out of date but some just because it’s not my taste. Sorry to sound harsh!

The living room – ditch the red carpet, rug, curtains. Don’t worry about the skirting and fireplace for now being wood. Try and make them work with a new colour scheme. The fire is a bit ‘hmm’ but it will blend in with a better colour scheme. The sofa and big black CRT don’t do you any favours as they look harsh and bachelor-pad-ish.

Bathroom – not a fan of the bath shape but that’s personal. The rest looks nice and tidy and clean.

Office – looks quite cool and very practical to me but dated. It will be hit and miss with buyers but leave it in. Maybe try and soften it up with a tall plant in a pot, some blinds instead of the curtains and ditch the CRT monitor. Makes it looks very 80’s.

Kitchen – not my style but again that’s personal and others will like it. I would do something about the curtains and maybe think about placing ‘props’ more carefully as you want to sell the life that someone will have in there. ie get rid of any white appliences off the worktop, only place nice stainless things or if a country style kitchen a few select countryish items. A fruit bowl full of nice fresh fruit and some wild flowers (not overkill).

on a different note, I wouldn’t really post a picture of where I live for worry of being burgled though. I would put the interior pics on a photo site and link to them not the for sale advert.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Dunno the answer. The interior isn’t to my taste (not that I actually have any), but it certainly wouldn’t put me off as the property looks fantastic.
    So personally I’m not convinced that these things make much difference. But I guess if your catchment area consists of vapid idiots then you might have to do something. 🙂

BigJohn

Yes, we’re changing agent and resting it for a bit. It’s a tad overpriced, but the other agents say that’s not the issue here with viewings and it ought to lead to an offer of the price we’re looking for.

But if they say people want pale colours I can’t just dismiss it.

vanilla83
    Free Member

Have you had it valued properly? And I’m not talking about an agent doing it. I’d say its worth about £280k tops. Sorry.

tommyhine

Definatley the carpets are not very good and the curtains are very out of date. I thought the kitchen and bathroom would be good though. if it’s sitting at top wack in your area then people would be looking for a house which is ready to move in to and not have to change carpets, windows etc. That could be the issue.

Edric64
    Free Member

Dated red carpets would put some off as they look at how you have it now not how they would carpet and furnish .Spending a bit on pale carpet would transform things

samuri
    Free Member

I don’t think the interior is terrible. Certainly wouldn’t put me off buying if I had that sort of money. Needs a better description

edit: And for that sort of money, I’d want an ‘In’ and an ‘Out’ driveway.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Price looks fine to me, although admittedly I don’t know the area well enough.

House looks really nice generally – not my taste but wouldn’t put me off at all.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Listing is terrible, and no pictures of the Bedrooms at all ?

(dont take this the wrong way as its meant to be constructive)

There being no pictures of the rest of the house, leads you to think the best bits have been photographed, and the rest is “worse”

Dark Carpet and furniture is not showing its true potential, house layout looks good, as has been said – DeClutter and show off the best bits.

Each room will look “Better” at a different time of day too, photograph them at this time for the advert/ brochure. one visit from an agent to photograph the house will be lucky to get one of the rooms at its best, let alone all of them.

I cant comment on Price as I don’t know the area.

Neutral colours, not too personal (So people can see their own stuff in the house) and get a second opinion…… you will miss things that you live with all day, someone else coming in and doing a snagging list will pick up a lot of “Turn Offs” straight away.

Kerb appeal and first impressions really matter, clear the hallway / entrance of coats, shoes etc

Go and have a look at some local new development show homes for ideas on how to lay out a house for Photos / Sale too

HTH and Good luck with the sale

gusamc
    Free Member

we decided not to (and mine is a single bloke house bought in 1990s, everything original – if it works it stays rule), on the grounds we decided as part of our search that we would either buy a cheap do-er upper or a top priced pretty much what we wanted (ie we wouldn’t pay for what we don’t want – which ruled out all good condition houses of unsuitable style/decor/colour etc etc), and whilst you can do up in ‘todays’ style it probably still won’t suit everybody but you need to get top whack to cover the cost.

ioe (in our experience) stuff that is priced right is selling, esp if you can be end of chain.

*edit I also used an interweb agent £200plus vat, working well )

*2nd edit, re comment below about valuations – a far as I can see surveyors no longer do valuations (* 3 out of 3 contacted in my case to do a full/building survey) – all said they did not value

psling
    Free Member

vanilla83 – Member
    Have you had it valued properly? And I’m not talking about an agent doing it.

Serious question: given that a lot of agents have Chartered Surveyors, who would you get to value a property properly?

project
    Free Member

a bit over priced, but how much for cash.

Looks ok, if you replace all the carpets and kitchen, the new owners will only rip it all out for their design, even if brand new for some reason.

Just perhaps due to the current recession and failure of the housing market, us plebs cant afford to move.

vanilla83
    Free Member

psling – Member
    vanilla83 – Member
    Have you had it valued properly? And I’m not talking about an agent doing it.
    Serious question: given that a lot of agents have Chartered Surveyors, who would you get to value a property properly?

An independent one: who isn’t working to try and get the commission for their inhouse team. Ever noticed that when a surveyor is asked by a bank to value a house and they’ve come from an estate agent, that it’s not your own or linked to your own? There’s a reason for this…

Or your own bank; it’s in their best interest to give you the most realistic price.

br
    Free Member

If its been on the market for 18 months and as you say, ‘we’re not desperate to sell’, then it won’t because the Agent isn’t pushing it.

Price-wise I’ve no idea, but if you know it’s over-priced – then so do others.

+1 Bedrooms?

Is it a good area, what are the schools like – although it looks like you are on the main road to the M6?

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Its a nice big house and if the area is OK then I don’t think your price is too unreasonable- its certainly worth more than £280k. However there’s no en-suite which I think people expect at that price. Also although the house is set back a bit it is on a busy road next a busy junction which would put some people off including me.

Exterior looks in good nick but the interior looks a bit tired so I’d be making you an offer discounting the cost of a new bathroom and maybe a new kitchen.

Incredible as it may seem a lot of people have literally no imagination and cannot see past the current finish so get rid of the red carpet and curtains and ancient computer equipment. Few more photos would be good too

psling
    Free Member

But surely local estate agents would have knowledge of what’s selling locally and would advise an asking price accordingly. They won’t earn commission on houses that don’t sell because they’ve pitched the value too high.

vanilla83
    Free Member

psling – Member
    But surely local estate agents would have knowledge of what’s selling locally and would advise an asking price accordingly. They won’t earn commission on houses that don’t sell because they’ve pitched the value too high.

Nope, but they’ll get free advertising on a nice busy road with lots of passing traffic. And presence in a higher price bracket on the property portals.

transmute
    Free Member

Nice Garden!
    Curtains and carpet look the main culprit, brings to mind a tired B&B.
    Folks looking to buy are looking for a new start and unless the price is cheap enough to sway the deal they’re going to be thinking how much they’re going to need to do when they move in.
    It looks a cracking place with loads of options open to it so I’d suggest generally lightening and pallette neutralising the main rooms and hall. There’s nothing wrong with darker wood finishes in fact it’s coming back into fashion but it needs to be a contrast with a generally lighter room otherwise it will suck the light out of the place. Think contrast wall as opposed to pub saloon bar.
    And I agree with the suggestion of clearing the worktops in the kitchen, we all know that that’s how a used kitchen looks but we don’t want to buy it, we want the Grand designs dream (at least until the day we move in) so empty and soulless with everything hidden in the loft when the buyers come amoochin’!
    As it’s a nice old property I’d still be aiming to keep a warmth to the place but definitely lighten it up with the windows and floors (as it’s 1830’s does it have a nice wooden floor under that carpet?)
    Also as this is STW, get a woodburner in that fireplace sharpish man! 😀

kaiser
    Free Member

Simple ..you can’t sell cos it’s overpriced ..sorry but something is only worth what you can sell it for.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I would say similar to what has already been said, unless you decorate it to the exact taste of someone who happens to be in the market for that type of house in that sort of area then most people would just rip it out & start again anyway, so why spend the money? Just take it off the asking price, make the price attractive & stick to your guns rather than building in haggling room.
    Anyway, I’m just jealous that houses that big are beyond my reach (in this area anyway)

Good luck

johndoh
    Free Member

Again, no idea abou the cost of a property in your area, but if that was in my area (Harrogate) it would be worth somewhere near double your asking price.

However, as large as it is, it needs work doing on it – people expect to get en-suites these days in bigger properties and sticking one (or even two) in will cost them in the region of £7k each on top of the rest on the general modernisation that is needed.

But if it was on the market in Harrogate at that price, it would have sold the day it went to market (or before, to a mate of the Estate Agents)

BigJohn

Thanks for all your observations. I’m not interested in anybody’s advice on value, but those comments are brightening up a dull evening 😛 Nobody wants to warn me of the impending 15% downward revaluation that’s overdue?

I know it looks a bit (lot?) dated in the photos – real life is quite different – and the best bathroom isn’t in the photos as it’s hard to get a good shot of it. But I’m thinking leaving the original staircase in its resplendent dark walnut and choose contrasting tones to make it stand out – not look like a victorian boozer.

No hidden gems under the floorcoverings sadly, although I did uncover some old newspaper with reports from the Crimean war, and an account of Napoleon III’s visit to Queen Vic and Prince Albert!

And I think I’ll make sure the Gaggia Classic, Iberital grinder and the leg of Jamon Iberico Bellotta on its jamonera (if it’s not all gone by then) are featured in the kitchen.

grum
    Free Member

I don’t think the decor is that big a deal personally – I think most people can see past it surely? Lack of double glazing would put me off but you’re not really going to get that done just to sell it are you.

Isn’t the real problem that it’s in Stafford? 😛

Edit: I just had a look, Stafford looks ok actually. 😳

johndoh
    Free Member

Well if the photos don’t do it justice, get them professionally retaken – many estate agents will do this for you at an additional cost.

BigJohn

No, you were right first time about Stafford.

But no, I’m starting to realise that most people look on the internet and rule out properties very quickly just by the first impression, and that’s where we’ve been falling down.

stealthcat

Definitely more photos – at least show the bedrooms. Take your own photos if need be, so they are taken at the best times.

Maybe take away the rug in the sitting room as a cheaper option than recarpeting – too many patterns for my eyes…

And get a better description written.

Edukator
    Free Member

Apart form the red carpet it looks fine to me edit: tasteful even.

Put it on a big truck and take it somewhere desirable where people have more money.

seadog101

OK, so maybe a bit over priced, but I’m no boffin on the prices in Stafford.

However, any agent worth its fee should be getting potential buyers in the door, and then getting them to look past the decor and cosmetic features. If a house is so perfect that there’s nothing to do, then the buyers won’t see any potential improvement in value that they can add.

I think that the photo from the street doesn’t do the house any justice. It’s much nicer than the initial impression which that photo gives.

bearnecessities

Of no help, but I like your house 😀

grum
    Free Member

But no, I’m starting to realise that most people look on the internet and rule out properties very quickly just by the first impression, and that’s where we’ve been falling down.

The house we’re (hopefully) buying doesn’t look great in pictures, and we only went to see it as a bit of an afterthought after initially ruling it out.

I wonder if the order of the pictures is an issue – the garden/patio area is very appealing and might be better coming up before the 7th picture – some people might have given up by then. Kitchen looks nice but the red carpet and also the brown desk in the office picture do look quite dated. I’m sure you could get much better pictures – I would definitely also want pictures of the bedrooms.

Pieface

IMO the kitchen is too small, but thats not a ‘Tarting up’ job.

geoffj

Of no help, but I like your house

+1

But I’d have dd do a job on the floors 8)

glacier79
    Free Member

That second photo looks like it was taken from the sky news helicopter…

tinybits
    Free Member

To get top whack (I assume that’s what you’re after, I have no idea of local property prices), the house has to be in top condition. Excellent, neutral decor ( this is essential, strong colours do NOT sell!) good doors, windows, kitchen and bathrooms.
    Your kitchen looks ok, but a bit dated, the red carpet with matching wall paper has to go.
    If its not got double glazing, or needs any other work doing to bring up to completely modern standards, I’m afraid that any buyer is going to reduce their valuation (and that’s the important one) by that amount.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

To me lack of double glazing is a biggie as that would be a big expense- decor wouldn’t bother me at all

Are you sure on your estate agent- I live in stoke and haven’t heard of them and the advert is a bit dull

Id try follwells or James de pavey if I was you who have a bit of an image and do better ads IMO

bol

The house looks lovely. I wish you could buy one like that round here for similar money.

We had our house on the market for months last year without a serious offer. We took it off, tidied it up, gave it a lick of paint and knocked £10k off the asking and it sold to the first viewers this year.

Don’t spend too much, don’t mess with the original features, and get lots of decent shots. Another tip I was given was don’t put a floorplan on the particulars, as people will identify problems before they see the house which might not matter when they see it in the flesh.

mark90
    Free Member

I wish houses were that cheap round here.

I’d echo the paler neutral colours over the dark red. And also the point about more photographs, I tend to assume that something is not been shown for a reason.

I’d be looking for as double garage at that price point / house size. Even in preference to an en-suite. IMV two bathrooms is better / more flexible than bathroom plus en-suite. I’d also be looking at less fussy garden, but again that’s just my preference.

All buyers are different so you won’t please all. But generally the pale neutral colurs will give a more up to date look and go down well with most.

Don’t know pricing for your area, it may be a little over but….

I’d be making you an offer discounting the cost of a new bathroom and maybe a new kitchen.

this is why you need a little wiggle room. Price it at the approprite sale value for current condition / what needs work, and people still want to knock the cost of anything they want to do off. Same with selling second hand cars, some people want money off for everything that’s not 100% perfect. If it was 100% perfect the asking would be more! But equally it needs to be low enough to get people through the door. Hard balancing act.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Not sure if it’s zoopla or your advert but the internet ad comes across a bit cheap and doesn’t give a great impression of the place.

I’d suggest getting it off the market for a bit and trying an agent who can actually get viewers through the door, and is a bit more proactive in the advert department. And tidy the rooms before taking photos.

I’m probably biased by my experience, but we spent some time talking to five or six agents and went with the more expensive ones because their sample brochures looked great. When is went on the market we sold within a week. Ymmv of course.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Tarting up a house to sell it’ is closed to new replies.