Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Taping a bike frame
  • SandyThePig
    Free Member

Hi,
    I’ve got a new bike, and I’d like to make it as unnickable as possible.

For starters, I have 2 big locks, but I’ve been thinking about covering the frame in plain colour tape.

What sort of tape have people done this with? Would electrical tape do? At some point I might want to remove the tape as well to sell the bike, so I’d like something that isn’t a complete bit of a mess to remove.

Cheers,

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I did my yellow bike in black electrical tape – inner tube round the crossbar, balck tape in a spiral over the whole bike – done really badly with loose ends flapping, it looks shite. the tape is easy to remove and the more flappy ends, the worse it looks the better.

the other thing to do is paint it in cheap emulsion paint with a big brush – leans off easily if yo want to sell it later

snowy pentlands 013 by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

allthepies
    Free Member
    rob-jackson
    Free Member

TJ the shite bars and seat look worse

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You want to see the homemade mudguards on it now 🙂

peachos
    Free Member

sack that off – ANYTHING will get stolen, if the opportunity is there. get it insured, make sure it is secured in your house/shed/garage over night & never leave it anywhere vulnerable.

taping it up or sticking stupid stickers on it will not deter any thief. plus, they’re pretty clued up nowadays so any half-decent recognisable parts will give the game away straight up.

toys19
    Free Member

those stickers are effign rad.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well of course you have proper locks and insurance as well – however making he bike look less attractive to thieves cannot do any harm and might do some good. the combination of a shabby bike with a big lock would hopefully mean they look for something nice to steal instead.

Because my bike is my everyday transport it gets locked up outside all over the city – outside town centre pubs etc

ilovemygears
    Free Member

use lots of pink,

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I think you’d need to pay a thief to run off with that thing TJ 😆

SandyThePig
    Free Member

Wow that looks pretty shit. I think I’ll give that a go – bit of a shame to cover it but needs must. By mid winter it will be covered in shit too so even less attractive.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Taping a bike frame’ is closed to new replies.