Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Talk to me about recovery drinks – Do you really need them?
  • rocco

Over the last few weeks I have ramped up the amount of miles commuting by bike and by the end of the week Im feeling pretty tired. Should I be looking into recovery drinks or just stick to a good evening meal? Will they help my aching legs or should I just stick to my foam roller and MTFU? The commutes range from 8 miles to 20-22 miles each way with around 1000ft climbing, if thats of any help.

parkesie
    Free Member

Berries and banana in blender with a pint of milk. Or recovery shake if your feeling lazzy. I find theyre good at stopping me eating everything in the house post ride.

funkrodent

There’s certainly evidence that a decent intake of both Protein and Carbohydrate after exercise helps the body restore muscles and replenish energy faster. This should happen within about 2 hours of finishing exercise.

I used to suffer really badly the next day after serious exercise (big ride, or playing footie) until I strted making sure I had a recovery drink

Not sure about buying expensive “Sport Nutrition” drinks though. I just have a pint of milk as it contains lots of protein and sugar in the lactose. To my knowledge, whilst studies have shown that some of the manufactured sports drinks are as good as milk, there is nothing that has shown them to be better *awaits proof to be provided*

So my advice would be to down a pint of milk after each ride and you’ll find yourself feeling better fairly quickly

EDIT – And as above, if you have any bananas and/or berries to add to the mix, so much the better

jonba
    Free Member

No,

Although it may be worth building in some recovery time where you take it easy if your legs are tired. It may take some time to get used to riding further each day.

Unless you are doing big miles at the weekend that doesn’t even sound like a lot of riding.

binners

I think you’ll find the normal post ride recovery drink is….

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Protein is supposed to help muscles rebuild. If you get some extra in early after exercise, apparently it helps to stop your body using the protein in your muscles for repair, thus you increase rather than decrease your future strength/fitness.

I normally just have some form of milk based drink, or some nuts and stuff.

Did an 8 mile run this lunchtime and had beans on toast straight after for the protein hit.

Kryton57

Lots of evidence that the right carb/protien ratio helps repair and recovery. Probably only worth the investment if you feel you need it and/or you are training to compete.

Chocolate Milk is shown time and time again to be accidentally the right thing you need and will stop you reaching for the donuts, most sports recovery drinks are a repeat of the choc milk formulae. Choc Milk works for me and I can feel the difference when I don’t drink it post Turbo interval the next day.

I admit I have just bought a recovery powder but only because it was on offer and works out cheaper per serving than Frij. 🙂

Kryton57

Also good for your recovery and immune system, is low carb high polypropene wheat beer:

adsh
    Free Member

Full fat coke and peanut or nutella sandwich.

rocco

Unless you are doing big miles at the weekend that doesn’t even sound like a lot of riding

Its not a huge amount of miles but going from riding once every few weeks on a Saturday/Sunday to now riding nearly every day and 90+ miles a week, plus weekends, it’s a big change.

So my advice would be to down a pint of milk after each ride and you’ll find yourself feeling better fairly quickly

That sounds like a plan to see if I feel any better. Plus I do love a nice cold Frijj, especially chocolate!

chum3
    Free Member

Second vote for chocolate milk…

Read that piece of advice in “The First 20 Minutes”, which is a very interesting read, if a bit frustrating in it’s lack of citations…

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member
    tomhoward

Full fat coke

Just had my first full fat coke in about 15 years. Feel like I could, and should, run up Everest.

adrenalindaddy
    Free Member

It might not be a lot of miles, but it’s a big step up from what your used to which is the key thing here, so I’d give it a go in the short term, then start fazing it out if you are worried about the extra calories. There’s not much good research been done on different type of protein sources for recovery, but I’d want something that was more likely to be absorbed quickly and combine it with some carbs that have a high Glyceamic index – so it’s a good excuse for a sugar rush 😉

stevious

As above, some chocolate milk (I just use nesquik or supermarket own brand equivalent) isn’t a huge investment and you may well find a recovery benefit (I do). Worst case scenario is you’ve drank some milkshake.

t_i_m
    Free Member

Another vote for nesquick (strawberry preferred here).
    Also try and grab some cheese on toast. Have plenty of veg with your evening meal.

Recovery drinks are totally over priced and only really worth it for convenience. Eg. You’re stuck in a car park after a ride and just need to grab something quick.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I drink Goodness Shakes / Frijj / Galaxy milkshakes when they’re on special offer at Tesco, otherwise I mix some Cadbury’s Hot Chocolate powder up with cold milk.

oldboy
    Free Member

No!

tsurani
    Free Member

Banana in blender with a pint of milk. Quick, easy, cheap. I seem to remember seeing a video with the team sky nutritionist recomending it as well

mikey74
    Free Member

What if you are lactose intolerant?

blastit
    Free Member

[What if you are lactose intolerant?]
    Leave out the milk 🙂

mikeyay
    Free Member

Strongbow!

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I find a pint of milk helps a lot and I have found protein shakes make a difference and I feel far less fatigued and legs ache less.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Gave this a go but only during multi day races when we were knackered and in need of quick easy recovery/refueling

TBH it’s great cured the post race hunger, easy to make and drink and the one we had tasted great. As we were away for the racing a lot of the home solutions were too much faff. However due to cost it’s a race only thing for us. Otherwise some of the cheaper options above.

slowoldman

I believe Jennings Bitter is the choice of fell runners.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Post-ride Frijj is a bit of a ritual, wouldn’t be without it. Try and make sure I have a banana for the potassium as well otherwise I get really bad leg cramps later on.

CaptJon
    Free Member

mikey74 – Member
    What if you are lactose intolerant?

Rice milk. It also has the advantage of prompting an image of someone milking rice.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about recovery drinks – Do you really need them?’ is closed to new replies.