Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Talk to me about half marathons, do I enter one?
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Okay so I'm happy doing 10ks interspersed with MTB and adventure racing. But I have suddenly started toying with the idea of entering a 1/2 marathon in June. What do I need to know/do? I could easily go out now and run 7 miles in about 1hour 5 mins. I had a look on the internet but there appears to be TOO much information about 1/2 marathons and a huge variety of training programmes.
    So, who's done one? Is it worth it? What do I need to know or not? Is it feasible to think I could complete it in under 2 hours? otherwise I think I may get too competitive with myself and I'm probably be really disappointed!!!
    Thanks.

Jamie
    Free Member

If you can run 7 miles now then you should be fine with doing 13 non-stop in 5 or so months. If you put in the training you should easily be able to get in under 2hrs.

I was running nearly 40 miles a week in the month upto mine last October, but then i am an idiot. All i did was:

Monday: 7 Mile Tempo run ….as fast as you can comfortably run essentially.
    Tuesday: Fartlek Sessions ……like intervals but less restrictive.
    Wednesday: LSR ….10 mile long slow run
    Thursday: …..5 mile hill running …..find a big hill, hard in Peterborough, and run up and down it.
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 13.1 Mile Temp run ….
    Sunday: Rest or go out on the MTB.

Of course you can just turn up on the day and have a crack at it

surfer
    Free Member

I have only done 2 but oo's of 5 milers and 10k;s.
    At that pace you are bordering on 2 hrs for a half.

surfer
    Free Member

Jamie, what was your time?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Assuming a similar terrain as your training runs, you should do it – the adrenaline on the day will dive you an extra 10% anyway.

will
    Free Member

Well I have been kind of training and have one in 2 weeks.

It'll be fine 😀

surfer – Member
    Jamie, what was your time?

About an hours if that bloody training program is anything to go by…

Tiger6791

Did the Windsor, just turned up and ran it

Trained a little, as in ran a couple of 2 milers a week or so before

2 and a bit hours, gonna train this time

Jamie
    Free Member

About an hours if that bloody training program is anything to go by…

The training schedule was more about the fact i love running. You could do half what i did for a HM really.

Anyways, i only started running last May so not fast at all, it was 1:33 or roughly there about.

….then i got injured and only now managing to do 6-7 mile runs *cries*

zaskar
    Free Member

Just train steadily and don't push too soon that causes an injury.

Enjoy!

trail_rat
    Free Member

go for it !

im not a big runner , last year i ran 18 miles fell running followed by a 4 hour mtb ride … i hurt but all id done in the run up was ride 3500kms round nz so it was expected to hurt !

This year i intend to do the nofuss trail half marathon ! – im training for it though – partly to get my mate into shape for his wedding and encourage him to drop a couple stone for the photos – underinstruction of his missus – apparently hes been talking about doing it but never actually started !

By the time ive done 10 hours on the mtb the day before we will be about the same pace !

mdb
    Free Member

I'm doing the Brighton half-marathon end of Feb and I'm not that fazed. Its part of my training for the full Brighton Marathon in April.

I've lost about 2 weeks training due to the weather so I just figure it might take me a bit longer and hurt a bit more than I would have liked.

Really looking forward to it in a weird kind of way cos when I started running about 3 months ago it hurt like hell but I'm over that now.

Defo go for it.

Regarding training tips I think the Runners World website is pretty good. I'm also using the New York Marathon Training Guide which is excellent.

Bottom line is you need to be running at least 3 times a week, plus some cycling. Start slowly and build progressively to avoid injuries and include some interval and fast pace stuff. Do as much off road training as you can to preserve your joints.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It's a pity Smee's banned – I think, unsurprisingly, he has the fastest half marathon time on STW.

I dud Brustol and Cardiff last year. Hoping to do Bath, Heidelberg, Bristol and Cardiff this year. Just get out and run. You should know by now from running your 10ks and adv racing that the more you run, the better you get, the more you run, the better you get….etc etc

try to do one long run at least once a week, and at some stage, actually run 13 miles so that it's not a complete surprise when you do the race. Under 2 hrs should be easily achievable.

colnagokid

Used to do quite a bit off running, and when I was training for a longer run I would aim to increase the distance of my longest run by only a mile a month.
    So if you can run seven miles now and you increase that distance by a mile/month in 5 months you'll be easily capable of doing 12/13! Enjoy!

oldgit
    Free Member

I did loads. When I could run 8 miles pretty fast (my local circuit was 8 miles) I went for it on the basis that 10 miles was just two more and running the last three home wouldn't be a problem.
    That highly scientific explaination might be a bit too much to take in 😉
    They aren't that hard if you are doing what you are doing?
    I also went straight from 1/2 to full.
    Not quick though, using my slack Alice approach I did 1.26.03 at Stevenage.

nickc

Same. I run 3 10k a week, around the 45 minute mark. Did a 1/2 with exactly no extra training whatsoever a few years back. Wasn't an issue at all

surfer
    Free Member

It's a pity Smee's banned – I think, unsurprisingly, he has the fastest half marathon time on STW.

And what is that pray tell?

uplink
    Free Member

And what is that pray tell?

Something like an hour I would think

surfer
    Free Member

Very doubtful although an ex training partner of mine did 62:45!

roper
    Free Member

There will be lots of info at runners world and other sites.
    I think the thing to remember is to enjoy the training. Vary your routes, do some with and without ipods and at different speeds and different times of the day. On and off road and night running with a head torch can be fun too.
    If you know your gait and increase the mileage comfortably you can do it without injury and you might find out the longer distances suit you.
    If you already use energy drinks on the bike stick to these but also try and find out what ones they might give out for the race. You don't want to change brand or type on the day.

surfer
    Free Member

Come on Darcy I'm on tenterhooks!!!!

Jamie
    Free Member

Dust flying everywhere as well no doubt.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I have recently been trying to do 1 long run a week then shortly interval hill climb runs in between, there isn't really anywhere to run off road around me though, may have to start driving somewhere to do it though as I do prefer off road running as well.

but what I actually fancied was a specific structured programme so that I had something exact to follow and could not make excuses for not going out etc! I shall see how my 7.5 mil run planned for sunday goes!!!

Jamie
    Free Member

Problem you may find, or at least i did, with a very regimented routine is you get bored and/or your body gets used to it. Yes you can increase mileage incrementally, but if every tuesday for the next several months you are going to do the same thing it might get a bit monotonous. The list i gave up the top was just one week, the next week i would move everything around. Keep it fresh.

If you do want a rough outline of what to do have a look at the RunnersWorld HM plans, they have different ones for different predicted times:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/classic-half-marathon-schedules/107.html

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Yeah if you can happily run 7 miles now you should be able to get up to 13 miles pretty quickly.

I never ran more than 9 miles in the training runs for the last one I did and got a decent time 1:45.

If you've never run before obviously its totally different.

Going from 0 to 1 mile
    or
    1 mile to 3 miles
    are much much bigger steps than 7 miles – 13 miles.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Problem you may find, or at least i did, with a very regimented routine is you get bored and/or your body gets used to it.

First half marathon I did I did lots of long runs to train.

The last I had one 4 mile training and tried to run, it quicker and quicker over a couple of months.

I then did two 9 mile runs the two weekends before.

Got a much better time than the first time not sure if it was anything to do with the training mind.

surfer
    Free Member

The list i gave up the top was just one week, the next week i would move everything around. Keep it fresh.

I agree, other than my long run which I do with others for company, much of my running is done alone. Try to get the key components in per week or 10 days in almost any order. The benefits come from consistent running (not the same session the same time each week) and staying injury free. Build slowly and listen to your body.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

If you're not running regularly there will be a big difference between 10k and half marathon. If you're training for it do somewhere near the distance occasionally but make sure you get a good session in at least 3 times a week if you want to do it justice.

I once managed 1:21 but have always struggled to get near 40 minutes for 10k 😕

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Okay so sounding good I think I can cope although running with people will be a problem! But then I'm often quite happy with my ipod we'll see! Next thing food and hydration! How do people carry water on long runs? I tried one of these waist packs (bum bags I guess!) but it bounced around lots. Camelbak also bounces around a lot up and down when running! would you suggest starting on energy drinks or just stick to water?

What about eating after a long run?? any hints is great! thanks Sunday is going to be the starting and I'll post back on how my 7.5 mile run goes! I think I will need STW inspiration and motivation to assist!

surfer
    Free Member

How do people carry water on long runs?

You wont need to hydrate over that distance as long as you are hydrated prior. Dont worry about carrying fluid. When your long run gets longer you may want to run through a cemetery they always have a tap.

With regard to eating try to eat quite soon after as it helps recovery for the next run. Not necessarily a meal but try to eat something.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i use my camelback slipstream , it doesnt jump about much – ultra low profile with only 1.5litres inside

uplink
    Free Member

surfer – Member

Very doubtful although an ex training partner of mine did 62:45!

Have you any idea who you're talking about here?
    Thought not!

He'll be back soon to put you right on a few things – it's just he's busy right now giving Lewis Hamilton a few pointers to try & help him secure another world title

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Surfer so what kind of stuff would you suggest eating when I get in from a long run? I get seriously dehydrated I have had many tests for diabetes I don't have it however I would easily drink 750ml of water on a 1 hour run if I go on a treadmill at the gym.

Jamie
    Free Member

I only ever used to have a drink with me on runs over 15 miles. Anyways, when you get in from a long run i used to find a choccy yazoo milkshake worked wonders. Carbs/Protein in a good ratio and a quick delivery system. Obviously you only need something like that on your big runs.

trail_rat
    Free Member

" I would easily drink 750ml of water on a 1 hour run if I go on a treadmill at the gym. "

the key there is "treadmill"

you will sweat like hell on one of them ! work of the devil !

uplink
    Free Member

I easily go though about 1ltr/hr on a treadmill – I don't need to drink at all if running outside [in reasonable temps] for that length of time

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Any half marathon you enter should have a water stop half way.

If you're that worried during training just do a 6.5 mile loop from your house/car twice.

surfer
    Free Member

Have you any idea who you're talking about here?
    Thought not!

Nope hence the question. Want to put me right?

surfer
    Free Member

Surfer so what kind of stuff would you suggest eating when I get in from a long run? I get seriously dehydrated I have had many tests for diabetes I don't have it however I would easily drink 750ml of water on a 1 hour run if I go on a treadmill at the gym.

As Jamie says ref hydration. I cant understand why people would carry bottles etc on training runs of reasonably short distances. 15 miles plus and a drink is probably required if not you would need to hydrate afterwards.
    With regard to eating post run, antything really its up to you. doesnt need to be anything special but your body is apparently receptive in the 30 mins or so after a run.

uplink
    Free Member

Want to put me right?

I really haven't got the time but to summarise:

glupton/smee/trolling zoo fighter is probably the best all round person you've ever come across

His skills [all expert level] range from driving to medicine with everything in between
    He can attain expert level in anything he cares to try within a few days of taking it up

surfer
    Free Member

Thought not

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about half marathons, do I enter one?’ is closed to new replies.