Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Talk to me about guitar strings…
  • Edukator
    Free Member

If an E string breaks before you wear it thin somewhere bending it, it’s often down to a sharp edge somewhere. Junior broke stings on harmonic Telecaster saddles till I polished them. An acoustic used to break strings at the machine heads till I took a needle file to the poorly finished holes.

mattyfez

I very very rarely break strings, as above it’s either a sharp edge on one of the contact points, but it depends where the string snapped, that should give you a clue, if it snapped at the tuning post, it could be bad winding technique.

Also if the string is very old and used it could just be brittle, had a go on my dad’s acoustic that’s been sat for a year or so and promptly snapped a string when I gave it some welly.

alanf
    Free Member

Never really got on with Ernie Balls.
    Dean Markley electrics suited me better.

brassneck

Elixirs here, on all my electrics. I seem to have particularly unpleasant finger sweat that rots most normal nickel ones in a week.

Also can’t handle non precious metals against my skin (jewllery, piercings) – break out in a furious itchy rash from belt buckles rubbing – often wonderd if the two are related.

If you are breaking the E string, you aren’t stringing up on correctly. It breaking has nothing to do with force of playing. I probably play harder than most and pretty much never break a string.

Wouldn’t quite agree with that, had a few unravel at the ball end. Generally though a string breaking is a sign you should have changed them all a while back.

metalheart
    Free Member

11’s, get 11’s.

So he’s something real to hate you for in later life 😉

tillydog
    Free Member

no, no, no, no, no!

Why on earth not?

If you are breaking the E string, you aren’t stringing up on correctly.

Really?

It breaking has nothing to do with force of playing. I probably play harder than most and pretty much never break a string.

Great, I don’t either, but ham-fisted bending, catching the string too hard when strumming enthusiastically, rough frets, machine heads or bridge saddles are also possibilities. Unless the other strings are shot, just replace the top E : about 90p compared to £5+ for a full set.

jimbobo
    Free Member

you’re all wrong. Flatwound 12’s. I’m going to go and flex in front of the mirror now and wear a baseball cap recreationally.

but seriously, they do sound nice!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Great, I don’t either, but ham-fisted bending, catching the string too hard when strumming enthusiastically, rough frets, machine heads or bridge saddles are also possibilities. Unless the other strings are shot, just replace the top E : about 90p compared to £5+ for a full set.

Well if you are breaking strings due to most of those you should fix your guitar so the string doesn’t keep breaking. If tbreaking due to ham fisted bending or hitting too hard, i’m willing to be there’s some kinda kink been put on the string when installing it, strings can take lots of punishment. Otherwise strings should last long enough that replacing 1 string should necessitate replacing them all. no point having one fresh bright string and 5 dull ones.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about guitar strings…’ is closed to new replies.