Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Talk to me about Eastbourne
  • Pauly

Thinking of moving down to the coast and am currently looking around Eastbourne.

Any info much appreciated. Cheers.

MrSmith
    Free Member

old people go there to die

GrahamA
    Free Member

I lived there for a year. Its was a pleasant enough seaside town but Brighton is much livelier. Check what the transport links are like though when I was there you could do London to Brighton in less than an hour but Eastboune was more like 2 hours on the train and the roads where just as bad.

I don’t want to persist a stereotype but it did feel a bit like 1940.

tonyg2003

The most beautiful place in the world…..well it did look like that on Friday when we rolled at the end of our SDW in a day ride 😀

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Been here 11 years, love it. Bits can be old people orientated, however there are some great pubs and the biking is good, a mix of open downland and excellent singletrack in Friston, though be prepared to SS in winter as the mud just eats transmissions.

Transport links are so so, the A27 at peak times is orrible and train service is OK.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

oh and Worthing and Lancing are where old people go to die!

rewski
    Free Member

I love it, I spend most weekends there, one of the nicest coastal towns in the South East IMO, great biking, SDW, Friston Forest, Abbots Woods and some great coastal paths around Pevensey and Rye. Brighton and Lewes just up the road. I’ve always found the train more reliable than Brighton line and far less busy, you’ll get more for your buck in Eastbourne.

What else do you want to know?

Pauly

You’ve summed it up pretty well rewski. You’re right about more bang for your buck than Brighton. Only concern is the traffic to get to the A23 which I know is bad.

Cheers everyone.

dekadanse
    Free Member

Great riding to be had locally, so long as you don’t mind chalk and what hapens when it gets wet, but Eastourne itself (I had it as my work base for 4 years) seems to be caught a bit between mindless oldie and yoof cultures, and just a bit too conservative (big C and small c.)

I lived in Hastings, which while it avoided the uber-trendiness of Brighton, had lots of serious eccenticities and a lower cost of living, plus more great local rides.

wait4me

If you’re into outdoor living (and i’m guessing you are) it’s a great place to live. I moved from the Smoke about 10 years ago and i’ve never regretted it for a moment. My life is an endless merry-go-round of boards (wind) and bikes (off and on road), and being able to do these things literally outside the front door is fantastic.

If you want shops, pubs and restaurants then you may be left wanting. The town is starting to show the effects of recession and there are a lot of empty units. But i can count on one hand the amount of times i go to the town centre shops in a year.

Other negatives are road and rail aren’t great. It’s 1hr30 to Victoria/London Bridge. So to me a daily commute is a no-no. Did it for a number of years when i first moved down and it was a killer. Employment opportunities not the best down here, you’ve only got 180 degrees to choose from! But on the plus side house prices are pretty reasonable.

I think the all old people stereotype is a bit tired tbh, tho stand around the pier when the daytrippers are around and you may disagree.

Anything else you need to know then fire away.

rewski
    Free Member

And one more thing…. it’s the home of one of the best titanium bespoke bike builders in the UK, World.

Enigma

Pauly

I know the guys @ Enigma, and like being outdoors; the water is a big attraction, but I would like to be closer to Brighton. Biggest concern is I’d need to use the A22/A23/M23 most days at it’s buisest. Thinking that it might be just that bit too far…

Keep persuading me though!

wait4me

Where you gotta get to for work? It’s do-able as long as you don’t need to hit the M25 or stay on M23 all the way to Croydon.

Pauly

I work on the road all over the South East. Location could be anywhere from Guildford to Canterbury to Southampton really. Want to be near good riding, nice to be close to water (going to buy a kayak), good value for money property, good transport links.

Open to offers really.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Plus there is always Beachy Head if things don’t work out! 😉

avdave2

It might not seem the most attractive place on earth but if you want to be closer to Brighton and the A23 and you want what is laughingly called value for money round here then look at Newhaven. I lived there for 10 years before moving a few miles west but that was only after our second child turned out to be 2 and we needed a bigger house and to be nearer help as I’m away a lot. You’ve got the river and the sea for the kayak as well and your a short ride from the SDW and there are miles of bridleways.

VanHalen

newhaven. lol.

spooky_b329

Another Newhaven dweller here…plus points are you are nestled under the South Downs, house prices lower than surrounding areas, the A27 is dual carriageway from this point so the A23 is about 20 minutes drive and traffic is good, there are direct trains to London and Brighton, Buses to Brighton, and you’ve got the ferries to France.

Negatives…the town centre is really struggling with little going on in the way of business (although on the flip side there is a half decent retail park over the river) and a large area of the town is dominated by docks (sand and gravel, scrap) and industrial estates.

My pick of the area would be Denton up on the hill. Seaford is also just a little further along the railway so still has the benefit of the direct trains, and is a nicer town with a proper high street full of shops.

I’ve lived here about seven years, its OK in a non-committal type way 🙂 I won’t be limiting my search to this area when the time comes to move though…

rewski
    Free Member

To be honest Eastbourne fit’s your brief, or even Seaford or Pevensey Bay area, I drive to Pevensey Bay every weekend from Purley, I always avoid the A23 and A27, A22 is a much quieter and nicer drive over ashdown forest (love to ride there).

How about inland Southease, Ringmer Polegate area? Or if A23 is really key then Hove or Shoreham.

I bought my sea Kayak in Newhaven, great shop on the industrial estate, check them out.

wwaswas

I lived in Piddinghoe, just by the river north of Newhaven for a year or so. Newhavan town centre is pretty depressing, really but access to countryside is great.

Is there any reason not to chose Brighton (or surroundings – Hove is good) over Eastbourne (other than cost) – it has a similar surrounding area but far better transport links to the rest of the South East? Or just prices?

Pauly

Thank you all for the advice; really helpful.

Money is the main restriction. There is no way I can afford Brighton or Hove really; single guy looking to buy a 2 bed flat as a minimum.
    Been looking at Shoreham & Portslade too.

Once again, thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.

wwaswas

if you get the ‘right’ bits of Shoreham or Portslade they’re both ok.

Worthing’s worth a look too – some nice housing there and the town centre’s ok for most shopping (we often go there from Hove instead of central Brighton).

wait4me

I’d be tempted to rent for 6 months to test it out. Loads of 2 bed flats for rent in the Sovereign Harbour development in Eastbourne. Not my cuppa but if you want a modern purpose built overlooking the marina it may be for you. As said, I’d probably rent and see how you feel about it’s effect on your worklife. It’s ace living on the coast but you need to accept it’s shortcomings. I was very, very close to moving north to Tunbridge Wells so I could commute to London to chase the bucks, but in the end took a much lower paid job down here and kept the standard of living.

spacemonkey

Been here 11 years, love it. Bits can be old people orientated, however there are some great pubs and the biking is good, a mix of open downland and excellent singletrack in Friston, though be prepared to SS in winter as the mud just eats transmissions.

Great pubs? I remember walking into what must have been a gay pub with a mate to watch a Five Nations game about 10 years ago. We were still pissed from the night before and wanted to find somewhere different. The pub had a locked door and security entry-cam IIR – one the corner of a backstreet? Twas a bit weird, but the night before had been immense so all was cool.

spooky_b329

£150k will get you a 2 bed terrace in Newhaven, for comparison with 5lab.

5lab

aye, wasn’t trying to claim brighton was cheap compared to the surrounding towns, its clearly got a premium, but just suggesting that there may be some options that tick the OPs boxes within brighton, that he may not have thought of. Cheapest you’ll get a house for here in an area that isn’t just ex-council would be 220k

singletrackmind

Looking at your large work area , and the time factor of getting too and from those places i wouldnt live on the coast.
    I live on the seafront , but i was a keen windsurfer before i moved here. The mountain biking is crap tbh , but fills the gap when the wind wont play ball or its dark.
    Have you looked at Billingshurst or Cowfold , maybe Horsham. Good riding and reasonable transport links.
    Eastbourne to Guildford or Southampton is a long long drive . A3 tunnel will be open so Petersfeild comes into play, pricey area tho .
    Depends on how much work you have in Kent / e.sussex area. Cheap coastal towns that fit your remit and work area are thin . Hayling where i live is cheap and cheerfull .
    Arundle area would be better , kinda mid way along the A27.

Pauly

I’m currently in Crawley, and it’s not really doing it for me. Chosen because of it’s excellent transport links and cheaper rent.

Nights away in hotel are not an issue.

Again, thanks for all the feedback everyone.

HarryTuttle

Worth looking at Lewes and Hailsham, both are cheaper than Brighton and easier access than Eastbourne.

m1kea
    Free Member

I’m currently in Crawley, and it’s not really doing it for me. Chosen because of it’s excellent transport links and cheaper rent.

Nights away in hotel are not an issue.

Again, thanks for all the feedback everyone.

I’ve worked in Crawley for nearly 20 years and lived in Sussex all my life.

In light of the mentioned commutes I’d say Ebo was too far away, especially if you’ve got used to the central location of Crawley.

I don’t know what the prices are like but Horsham, East Grinstead and Haywards Heath might be worth considering?

If you’re not fussed about the seaside but do fancy a bit more countryside then I’d lean towards looking along the A24 corridor. Somewhere like Southwater has good road links and is conveniently located midway between the North and South Downs. Burgger all to do in the village but Horsham is only 10 mins away.

Bear
    Free Member

If you work all over the SE then basin yourself somewhere with poor road network doesn’t make sense. Although I may be biased I think Kent can offer a lot of what you want although not sure you will want to afford Canterbury.

Some good riding around Kent if you know where to look, close to France, good road link if you can get near to M20. High speed train to London, lots of development in the county….

enveetee
    Free Member

It’s cold
    Anywhere worth going to is up hill
    Everywhere else is covered in water
    Every one on MTB are knackered

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about Eastbourne’ is closed to new replies.