Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Talk to me about 1 x 11 speed please!
  • njee20
    Free Member

What sort of cost can your setup be done for?
    I was tempted by the Shimano offer on CRC with 1×10 for around £120 ish.

An X1 group set can be had for about £500, but you need a compatible hub too.

stophe
    Free Member

To answer the OP’s question on the hub, ck do an xd driver for their ISO hub. Ca £140 retail

stoney
    Free Member

I was building from scratch ( well sort of….was an ex demo full build which i then “altered”) and went for the Sram.

XO1 cassette, was on the bike
    XO1 rear mech, was on the bike
    + chain….

Swapped out the crank for XX1 (this is the only one with 76 bolt spacing for the 28 ring), also swapped out the shifter for twist grip, (can`t use triggers all day)

Got the crank from Aspire velotech 9in the states, and the front ring from CRC.

I tried to get it all from Aspire, but they had ran out of stock, it would have been roughly $1k, (approx £600)& you take a chance on import tax, even then it`s till miles cheaper….. 8)

njee20
    Free Member

I got all of mine from Starbike in Germany, who were cheapest at the time (notwithstanding US shops and gambling on import), but it’s worth shopping around, prices are really volatile. I think I paid just over £700 for the whole XX1 group set.

stoney
    Free Member

stophe, is that the drive shell on it`s own?.

I have CK hubs and worked out that to alter my existing hub with a new 142×12 and the drivshell, it was only another £50 to buy a complete new XD hub.

To convert with both axel /driveshell it would be roughly £150 ( $250 again from Aspire Velotech!!!) 😛

njee20
    Free Member

Assuming the same hub shells it probably is a better idea to buy a new hub and transplant axle/freehub body, then sell the old one!

stoney
    Free Member

That`s what i ended up doing njee20, piece from here, piece from there…

If AV had the stock in at the time i`d have benn laughing…. 😆

dirtyrider
    Free Member

34t 42/10 here

lincolnshire/peaks

have an oval absolute black ring coming

dirtyrider
    Free Member

sell the king, get a DT 240 hub

xcstu
    Free Member

For all the sram users out there with the 1×11.. has anyone experienced the weird creaking from the rear mech? Have an 1XO rear mech and is only 100miles old?!

stoney
    Free Member

I have`nt had it happen yet, but it is an easy fix. the clutch is the problem and just requires a little grease, there are vids to show you how to do it….. 8)

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I had an issue where the mech was clunking, was like a pivot on the swingarm of my tallboy was very warn – stripped down the clutch which resolved the issue

cruzcampo
    Free Member

In terms of overall value then the Sram 1×11 setup seems outrageous price wise compared to Shimano 1×10?

Is it purely because they can brag more range of gear coverage?

tomhoward

More to do with the cost of producing the rear cassette, and that mugs (myself included) will pay though the nose for the latest thing. If anyone is interested, I have an as new (taken off a new bike before use) x1 shifter, cassette, mech and chain you can have for £300 (what I paid on here for it, not looking to profit, just that plans have changed) mail in profile. It’s not that I don’t like it, I do, it’s brilliant and have it on 3 bikes, I was going to build a bike from frame only but then was made an offer I couldn’t refuse on a full, 1×11, bike but had already bought the above kit.

[\shameless advert]

njee20
    Free Member

Well XX1 is cheaper than XX, and X01 is cheaper than X0, so it’s not really a premium at all, it’s just top end group sets.

The cost is driven by the construction of the cassette, but a 10 or 9 speed cassette produced the same way is comparable in price – check out the XG 999 or the XG 1099.

honourablegeorge

stoney – Member

I tried to get it all from Aspire, but they had ran out of stock, it would have been roughly $1k, (approx £600)& you take a chance on import tax, even then it`s till miles cheaper…..

Aspire more expensive than the German sites, and no risk of import tax from Germany

xcstu
    Free Member

Tom YGM 🙂 cheers Stu

moshimonster
    Free Member

For all the sram users out there with the 1×11.. has anyone experienced the weird creaking from the rear mech? Have an 1XO rear mech and is only 100miles old?!

Possibly have actually. It happened a couple of times on my first ride and I put it down to not being properly in gear when cranking. But now I’m thinking it could be this? Is yours creaking all the time? Mine isn’t. It’s happened twice I think, but sounded quite severe. I even stopped to see if something was broken the second time, but everything seemed fine and it didn’t do it again afterward so I was none the wiser.

xcstu
    Free Member

Possibly have actually. It happened a couple of times on my first ride and I put it down to not being properly in gear when cranking. But now I’m thinking it could be this? Is yours creaking all the time? Mine isn’t. It’s happened twice I think, but sounded quite severe. I even stopped to see if something was broken the second time, but everything seemed fine and it didn’t do it again afterward so I was none the wiser.

Its was doing every pedal stroke.. I took it apart and gave it plenty of grease but couldn’t really get into any clutch mechanism that was obvious… Its now on and off creaking so maybe needs some more tweaking!!

moshimonster
    Free Member

Its was doing every pedal stroke

Maybe it’s something else with mine then. Perhaps it was just slightly out of gear when I cranked it then. Think I’ll check the adj, of the mech as it occasionally seems to slightly over-shift when downshifting.

xcstu
    Free Member

Maybe it’s something else with mine then. Perhaps it was just slightly out of gear when I cranked it then. Think I’ll check the adj, of the mech as it occasionally seems to slightly over-shift when downshifting.

Sram Tech gave me this reply when I asked:
    The clutch on the derailleur does require some breakaway force. This is normal. In some cases, with some frame designs/gear ratios/setups this breakaway will be more noticeable than others. This does not mean that there is nothing wrong with your particular derailleur.

?? Mine seems to have improved but only time and a few more rides will tell!! To top off snapped a tooth off my cassette which has gone back to Sram

M6TTF
    Free Member

only thing that puts me off 1×11 is the cost of a replacement cassette. however, given that x1 is out now, and starting to appear on more and more bikes, i imagine the price will start falling

njee20
    Free Member

only thing that puts me off 1×11 is the cost of a replacement cassette. however, given that x1 is out now, and starting to appear on more and more bikes, i imagine the price will start falling

I think I’ve said it about 50 times on various threads now, but it’s not expensive because it’s 11 speed, or because it’s new or anything else. It’s the construction. Similar 9 and 10 speed cassettes are comparable prices, and haven’t changed in the 5 years they’ve been on sale. SRAM may reduce the cost of cassettes, but I wouldn’t bank on it, until they make one in a more ‘conventional’ way.

whitey
    Free Member

What about the 40t or 42t adapters that are knocking around? They will fit to SLX or XT 10 spd cassettes. General lee is the name of one – can’t remeber the other.

moshimonster
    Free Member

until they make one in a more ‘conventional’ way.

like the new X1

njee20
    Free Member

Getting there certainly. Almost down to XTR pricing!

What about the 40t or 42t adapters that are knocking around? They will fit to SLX or XT 10 spd cassettes. General lee is the name of one – can’t remeber the other.

There are loads of them now. You still don’t get the range of 11 speed, but yes a cheaper alternative for sure.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about 1 x 11 speed please!’ is closed to new replies.