Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Talk me through….pruning a newly planted hedge
  • ourmaninthenorth

50 (potted) beech whips arrived at the weekend. They will be planted this weekend to create a hedge at the front of the house.

We never did anything with the field hedgerows when I was a lad (hippie mother), so I have no idea what the first pruning should be like and when it should be done.

Any tips?

timbur
    Free Member

If they are just whips then spade them in (Full length of spade diagonally into the ground, pull forward, drop in whip, pull whip up to planting depth and toe it) and remove about 1/3 of the top with a sharp set of secateurs. Nice clean cut ideally.
    That’s how I do my conservation hedges down here in the south and it works nicely.

ourmaninthenorth

EDIT: Yes, they are potted whips c3ft tall. So, rather than a trench, I can just dig the holes? Am going to plant two rows, so assume same principle all along.

Do I trim them immediately after planting? Secateurs better than shears?

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Are these hedges any good for security? Am considering planting some down the side of my land and up the side of the garage to keep the tea leafs away from it…

timbur
    Free Member

Whips tend to be single sticks with roots so a 1/3 off the top bit (ie above the ground)
    You can trim the roots a little if you think they are a bit long however it’s not generally needed unless they have been left too long in pots and become pot bound (roots in tight cirlce balls)
    This is all done at the planting stage btw.

timbur
    Free Member

Are you protecting them from animals?
    Might be worth it. Rabbits and Deer especially like them to eat however a careless dog/fox can charge through and snap them as well.

ourmaninthenorth

Sorry for making an interim edit..!

So, if they have been in the pots for too long, how do I trim without breaking the root ball?

(Sorry, novice gardener, and I;d like to get this right!)

ourmaninthenorth

Are you protecting them from animals?

Not so relevant for where I’m planting (front of house opposite the lane through the village).

We will be putting a hawthorn in at the back, but there’s v little livestock farming where I am (west Lancs)

timbur
    Free Member

http://www.ukagriculture.com/conservation/planting_new_hedge.cfm

Doesn’t mention pruning initially. I was planting the hedge for future laying so it’s good to stimulate side growth with a prune as I described but clearly not 100% necessary.
    It’s raining, I’m sat in front of a computer and going slowly mad. How do people do this day in day out???

timbur
    Free Member

If you’ve got a root ball then gently tease it apart with your hands and spread the roots when you plant them. If you plant it in a ball then it really restricts the growth and the hedge might not achieve much.

ourmaninthenorth

How do people do this day in day out???

Here’s how.

Markie
    Free Member

Are these hedges any good for security? Am considering planting some down the side of my land and up the side of the garage to keep the tea leafs away from it…

A mixed (conservation) hedge will be great for security – hawthorn, buckthorn, blackthorn are all excellent for wildlife but v prickly indeed. IME it will take two years or so to become a real deterrent, but from the start would put off casual interlopers.

ourmaninthenorth

Oh, and cheers for the tips on Gardening for Beginners..!

(It frustrates the living daylights out of me when I don;t know how to do something, so apologies for the idiot questions.)

ourmaninthenorth

I was planting the hedge for future laying so it’s good to stimulate side growth with a prune as I described but clearly not 100% necessary.

So, assuming I want to encourage it, prune both sides as well as top?

timbur
    Free Member

Shouldn’t need holes, just a spade split in the ground with roots spread. Prune once in the ground. Secateurs are much better as a clean cut and more control. Does less damage to the plant and therefore less chance of disease.

Neil – yes. Hawthorn, blackthorn, holly. All great for wildlife and even better for preventing people wandering through.

Plant in staggered double row for a good fill.

Oh – pics of that mech!!!! (Neil)

timbur
    Free Member

Nope, just top. The whip will do the rest next year.

timbur
    Free Member

OMITN – Oh yes, had 12-13 years behind a desk. STW was my saviour and my downfall.

ourmaninthenorth

Cheers Tim – much appreciated..!

Here’s part of my hedge.

Double row of holly, hawthorn, hazel & blackthorn planted last year.
    I was getting impatient, so I planted a third row of slightly taller holly and beech this year.
    It still doesn’t look much now, but it should look like the established hedge in the background in a few years.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Talk me through….pruning a newly planted hedge’ is closed to new replies.