Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • taking a retro mtb fork / stem and bars off
  • juiced
    Free Member

Hi Got an old Marin and need to remove the fork and stem have undone the the bolt on the stem. the headset bolts undoe but it won’t come apart? Do I need to lift the stem out? Does not seem to want to budge.

any help is great.

AlasdairMc

Assuming a threaded headset: Unscrew the bolt on the top of the stem, leaving it still threaded. Give it a tap with a hammer if it’s still stuck to dislodge the quill. Once the stem is loose, lift it out. You’ll then need to unscrew the headset lockring, remove any washers, then the top race can be unscrewed. The fork can then be dropped out.

juiced
    Free Member

cheers sounds spot on.

juiced
    Free Member

ok ‘ ive given it some whacks and used plus glus and it’s loosened up now the bolt has moved downwards. I can turn the bars sepereatly now but it won’t come apart..ahh

any ideas, ..use a longer bolt and keep banging it?

just pulled the setem a couple of inches out.but it’s tightened again .will keep trying

juiced
    Free Member

how to the stem and forks keep together? cannot find an exploded diagram and could do with trying to get my head around this 😉

whippersnapper
    Free Member

the wedge has probably got stuck or rusted in a bit to the forks. Is there a hole beneath the fork crown, if so and you have something that will fit in it you could try tapping it to dislodge it that way. A bit of WD40 might not hurt either.

juiced
    Free Member

ok thanks. I’ll put some more plusgas in and try and remove.If not i’ll tap it out. Thanks so much. 😆

juiced
    Free Member

Can someone please help if at all possible. Bars move around when front wheel is clamped between my knees. Bars move up an inch. And that’s it.

Not sure what the problem is.

Steel stem. Steel Forks.

Stem is 1 inch and continues into the headtube unlike modern stems.

If it bang it from below ( a the bottom of the fork’s hole) then surely i am wedging the wedge in further. So should i just put a tube in the stem hole and bang that.

Each time i give it a tap something move’s and inch inside. But still the stem only move’s up and inch.

So the stem and fork are not welded together as the bars spin.
    So the thing is not welded together as the stem moves an inch upwards.
    So the wedge is not welded in as i can feel it move when tapped.

Any ideas?

May need to get a long threaded rod and tap that from above the push the wedge down.

Thanks

willej

Don’t bang the wedge further down the steerer, it may get even more stuck as the internal diameter of the steerer may reduce or be obstructed as you get towards the crown (where the steerer ends and meets the fork legs). You should be able to get the wedge out by tapping it out from the crown end, using a suitable drift.

juiced
    Free Member

so tap it from the underside of the forks?

willej

Yep.

juiced
    Free Member

cheers. Just been reasding about using coca cola or freeze spray if it’s seized.

thepodge
    Free Member

THIS might help you with whats going on inside

juiced
    Free Member

juiced
    Free Member

it’s all now. no corrison. just didn’t understand how to remove.

THANKS. so much everyone. final strip down tricky bit on build now finished.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘taking a retro mtb fork / stem and bars off’ is closed to new replies.