Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tabs and windows ..someone please simplify the difference ( old chestnut i know)
  • kaiser
    Free Member

always found it hard to understand the difference /advantages etc.All i see is that a window is a bit like a folder, and tabs.. files within.
    Also …I like to have loads of tabs/windows open at any one time ….is it better to open webpages in windows or tabs to reduce the strain on the laptop performance?
    thanks in advance
    Bill

nbt

Tabs are *in* windows.

E.g., open your browser, that’s a window.

open a few pages in the browser – each one’s in a tab.

If you want, you can open a second browser window, which can then contain more tabs

sharkbait
    Free Member

I think tabs might be better on memory usage but then I could also be very wrong.

stumpy01

I tend to use tabs in a browser for looking at similar things – for example, comparing seatposts I am thinking of buying.

I use a new window if I am looking at completely separate things, or want to keep something open (mail/web radio etc.)while generally surfing about in another window.

If you are concerned about how fast your computer runs when you have lots of windows/tabs open, try Google Chrome. It definitely loads faster and seems to use less resources than Internet Explorer. It also opens every tab as a new program so if one crashes, you don’t lose all the other tabs you are browsing – well, that’s the theory….

nickname
    Free Member

It probably doesn’t make much difference.

Some browsers are kinder to memory when you minimize windows (by swapping out to disk), but I imagine they use the same technique for tabbed browsing.

Chrome open tabs as a new process, so I imagine tabs and windows will use similar amout of memory.

For a snappy feeling, I use Chrome with a Flash blocker. This may not be the kindest combination for memory though, but as I said, there’s conflicting benchmarks on the net.

Lastly, if you have free RAM, it’s fine for applications to use it. Generally I see that Chrome has high memory usage, which probably explains why it’s fast, because lots is already loaded in RAM.

peterfile
    Free Member

I tend to use tabs in a browser for looking at similar things – for example, comparing seatposts I am thinking of buying.

Living the dream………..

😉

stumpy01

peterfile – Member
    Living the dream………..

You better believe it!!

I actually meant blow-up dolls, but was too embarrassed to type that……….D’OH!!!!

Cougar

For all practical purposes, I’d hazard personal preference will outweigh any performance benefits on a modern machine (unless it’s crashing all the time and you want to try and force a separate process for resiliency).

Easiest way to tell real-world would be to open loads of windows, look at Resource Monitor, then open loads of tabs and check again. They’ll probably be as close as makes no odds.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tabs and windows ..someone please simplify the difference ( old chestnut i know)’ is closed to new replies.