Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Swinley…. Worth a visit ??
  • renton
    Free Member

Considering a visit to Swinley at some point over the next few days.

Having never been Im just wondering if you think its worth the 2 hour round trip going?

If so what are the conditions like there at the moment.

Cheers

Steve

SirHC

Where are you coming from?

Its a bit flat, trails flow quite well though and plenty of unmarked stuff about if you wander off the marked trails.

weeksy

Sat morning, 11am Renton 🙂 Me and a few other STWers. We’re with our nippers but i rekon they’ll give you a run for your money 😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

2 hour round trip? Not a chance.

Go to Peaslake instead.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Depends what else is within 2 hrs of you!

I ride swinley alot (like 3/4 times a week). Just because I hate the gym and need to do a bit of fitness. An hour and a bit takes me round red.

It’s dry and running well. Flat as a pancake and only a few decent down hill runs.

If you make the trip make sure you find out where the off piste stuff is (lot more to swinley than the yellow brick road). Join sfmb group on Facebook if you use it for maps and advice on where to look.

If you not been before well worth a trip… I like it but then again it’s all I have on my doorstep. It’s not Wales…. It’s not got hills but for a forest in the middle of Bracknell it’s not bad.

If downhill is your thing rather than xc /edurognarrrrrr give it a miss.

pickle
    Free Member

Depends how far away you are and where you’re coming from but The Surrey Hills are miles better around Peaslake.

I’ve only ridden Swinley a few times but I have to say I found it pretty dull.

hooli

Conditions early in the week were perfect, bone dry. There has been has bit of rain since but not a lot so I expect it will be fine.

People cant agree on Swinley, some love it and spend most weekends there, some find it boring.

I am somewhere between the 2, considering it is a relatively flat piece of land near Bracknell, I think they have done an ace job to create what they have and it is a great hour and a bit to blast around. That said, it is pretty tame and it is no BPW so go with the right expectation and I am sure you’ll enjoy it.

I’d give it a go if I were you.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’d always pop in Swinley for a ride if I’m in the area as I rarely am but no way would I make a special two hour round trip. It’s nice enough but no MTB mecca, just happens to be relatively close for London types so appears more popular than it maybe warrants

weeksy

It may not have ‘hills’ in the context of climbing Whites or up BPW, however, if you go to Swinley and ride blue/red/blue you will be knackered at the end of it ! It’s as good or bad as you want it to be.

IMO for the location, the price and the effort, it’s impossible to beat.

kimbers

Its not that bad, if you can find some pointers to the off piste stuff youll have more fun

just the waymarked trails are best hit flat out ( the signage is a bit confusing at a few points) it can get quite busy on the blue especially at weekends

anyway youve got a challenge ….

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/swinley-lap-under-an-hour

renton
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Im coming from Wallingford just south of Oxford so its about an hour there and an hour back.

Im mega unfit at the moment as Ive been limited to the amount of cardio and loading I can do on my leg due to a suspected tibia stress fracture (plus also just being a lazy bugger anyway)

Weeksy I suspect I would be left well behind by all of the nippers that are riding with you mate !! 😯

Sounds ideal for me then cheers

Might actually get my new bike dirty :mrgreen:

Steve

jekkyl

I had never been before and went for the first time last month, it’s mint, great fun. If you mean it’ll take you an hour to get there then yes go iiwy. It’s weird though judging by the size of the carpark you’d think the forest is a small one but it’s not. Parts are very fast and I loved it.

deadkenny
    Free Member

It’s a bit like Cannock in a way. If you’re somewhere between the two, it can make for a different day. It’s nothing amazing and a bit hard going on a hard tail on the official trails due to the cobbled surfaces, breaking bumps and ruts on the more jumpy trails. It’s also incredibly busy at weekends.

That said, add in the wider forest and off-piste options, and there’s some nice stuff there.

If you’re anywhere west and Welsh places are 2hr away, I’d go to Wales easily in preference (or FoD 😉 ).

If coming from straight down by south coast, I’d go with QECP but if bored with it, maybe Swinley for a change.

However if you’re up for more gnar and fun, Surrey Hills easily, but it’s not a trail centre and you will need to know where you’re going.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Sounds ideal for me then cheers

I think it does. Having marked trails takes away the hassle of navigating and the blue and red are fun. Hope you have a good one 🙂

stevextc
    Free Member

If you’re not fit then its really perfect in in ways that a forest prety much in the centre of Bracknell can be….

Its good use of space and it’s Bracknell not Leith Hill and certainly not a bike park like BPW..

The use of space means its easy to get back to the car form anywhere as you’ve been essentially riding in lots of circles.. You can have cycled miles and be knackered but the car-park is never more than 10-15 minutes away by firetrail…. (Perhaps longer if you were truly knackered)

It’s more technical than say Sherwood and less than Guisburn Forest….as a comparison … I didn’t find a Red at Sherwood more technical than some blues at Swinley but there is nothing as technical as say Hope Line at Guisburn

weeksy

Weeksy I suspect I would be left well behind by all of the nippers that are riding with you mate !!

I was kidding with that bit.

Seriously, come over at 11am fella..

monkeyboyjc

It’s worth a trip, yes it’s flat, but it flows well – just don’t expect BPW.
    I go about 4 or 5 times a year when I’m in the area. If your going over the weekend / bank holiday Monday, get there Early as the car parks gets full by 9:30am….

cokie

Swinleys ideal for you I’d say. Flowing trials with little elevation and a few nice descents. It won’t set your world on fire compared to welsh trails centres or your Scottish riding, but for a weekend ride it’s spot on.

Well armored so it’s rideable all year round. Well marked and you can split the red and the blue, so not a full on commitment if you’re not feeling it (though the best bits are on the red).

Offer still there if you want to ride it sometime.

renton
    Free Member

Thanks for all the offers peeps !!

I will take you up on them I promise but this weekend will be a spur of the moment thing depending on family/work duties etc !

I havent ridden properly in over a year due to work commitments so I know Im going to be pretty rubbish bike wise and fully expect to come off at some point !

All part of the fun though eh 😀

Oh and Weeksy….. I wasnt joking mate I am seriously unfit

Dickyboy

Worth a visit and even better if you can go with someone who knows the place and can tell you what features are coming up rather than going in blind

stevextc
    Free Member

Oh and Weeksy….. I wasnt joking mate I am seriously unfit

Shouldn’t matter as we will have kids with differing ability/fitness…. so the fitter ones might do a loop fast twice whilst anyone wanting a more mellow experience can do it slow just the once and even push any bits they need to….

There would even be opportunity to taking a half hour break whilst some kids do a loop and get back to a meeting place. Last time I went with my brother (seriously unfit and never ridden single track… I had to add a lot of pressure to tyres and shock on my HT I lent him….and he stopped at a meeting point for a smoke and lie down while I did a loop (seriously)

faustus

I only tend to go in winter when I need some off road that isn’t mud, as I prefer XC from the door. But having said that it is good for what it is, and there are lots of trails on the site and plenty are fun. Being flatter you have to work pretty hard if you want to keep some speed, but if you’re not fit then it’s a good place to go round at your own pace, make your own route from the red and blue, and pause whenever you want.

I made the mistake of going on a weekend once and it was mega busy and I hated it, maybe try a weekday evening?

DezB
    Free Member

Hour each way for me too, but it’s a decent place to ride for a change (live very close to QECP). Probably do Swinley trip 3-4 times a year.

whitestone
    Free Member

Called in on the way out to France a couple of years ago. OK if you like riding round in circles in the woods. Not sure I’d bother again, I’d find somewhere on the South Downs next time.

Note: I’m not fond of trail centres so the above comment should be taken as tongue in cheek from a grumpy old man!

petec
    Free Member

if you’re in wallingford, just head to the end of Rectory Road in Streatley, and go up the Ridgeway to Ardington, come down to Stanmore, then back to the Ridgeway, and back to Streatley. Only 30km or so, and no real hills (apart from the first one…)

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Tend to pop in if I’m passing, especially during the winter when everywhere else is mush.

2 hour round trip = hour each way? Yeah, why not, if you’ve nothing better to do. Sat will be utterly heaving tho.

Personally, if it’s dry, I’d head to QECP.

theotherjonv

Ah, the old flat as a pancake thing again.

Yes, it lacks the elevation of the welsh or scottish centres, but there’s still 250m of climb per lap, and in contrast to some of them it keeps coming as opposed to 300m of climb followed by 300m of descent.

If you do a lap of Swinley and aren’t blowing by the end of it – go back and do it again but this time try harder 😉

renton
    Free Member

If you do a lap of Swinley and aren’t blowing by the end of it – go back and do it again but this time try harder

Dont worry, Im fairly sure I will be blowing lifting my bike out of the car !

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yes, it lacks the elevation of the welsh or scottish centres, but there’s still 250m of climb per lap, and in contrast to some of them it keeps coming as opposed to 300m of climb followed by 300m of descent.

Put into context, it’s ~10m per km.

I bet there are hillier TT races out there 😉

DezB
    Free Member

I’d head to QECP.

Im coming from Wallingford just south of Oxford
    I am seriously unfit

I wouldn’t! An hour to Swinley, or almost 2 to kill yourself Petersfield? Not an option for the OP I wouldn’t think…

theotherjonv

and I’m blowing out of my arse on those too.

your point being 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Im coming from Wallingford…

If dry I’d go to the Chilterns. 😉

russyh
    Free Member

Got to say i found the Swinley trails pretty boring/poor when i visited the first time a few months back. They had done a great job of making the most out of the complete lack of elevation. But found it surprisingly laborious as it was a constant pedal fest. I wouldn’t go again in a hurry, but then it is 2hrs away from me. That said you may love it Renton, its just not for me.

joebristol

I think Swinley is great fun personally.

It’s not got a huge hill that takes you hours to go up then a long descent down like some of the Welsh trail centres – it’s much more undulating up and down.

That said the climbs therefore don’t kill you and you’re fresh to just go flat out everywhere. One lap is pretty tiring but I have done 2 in a day before and I’m not hugely fit.

It’s not technical nor are there any steep descents – but it just flows everywhere nicely. It’s all weather surfaced but can get a little slippery. There’s one section at the top of the red route where it gets twisty through trees – there are a few evil braking ruts / steps there by roots so just take it steady.

faustus

theotherjonv: the old flat as a pancake thing happens to be true though, doesn’t it? The limited elavation (in small chunks) basically makes it an XC ride on man made trails, so not your typical trail centre fare. It’s good for what it is, but for me if it’s not that different to my local bridleway riding – especially in summer.

Renton – I said earlier it was fun and worth a go, but if your time is limited then why not save the hassle of driving and go for a nice ride from the door, plenty of decent rides nearby and choose your distance?

theotherjonv

YMMV – what might be flat to some isn’t to others, there are a few sharp sections where it’s perfectly possible to hit max HR and 250m per lap isn’t flat. I think back to the days of the Gorrick Spring BH Enduro, which was run on a very similar type of course, one of the top guys in the 7 lap / 100K event reckoned it was as hard as a day of the TransAlp that he’d done before because of the incessant up-down-up-down nature. That and the fact it was unseasonably hot and Mr Gorrick screwed up course marking and it was closer to 120K 😉

renton
    Free Member

The last trail centre I rode was Glenlivet, how does it compare to that ?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

As my local trail, it’s incredible.

Waymarked, always rideable, fun bits you can session easily and more stuff opens up the faster you get. My biggest regret is not sessioning the gully more when it was there.

Still, not worth the round trip unless the weather is terrible and you want somewhere that is guaranteed to be rideable.

julians
    Free Member

Has anyone done cannock and swinley? how do they compare, they sound similar ish, except swinley sounds even flatter than cannock.

muddyground
    Free Member

Surrey resident…. Just don’t get Swinley at all. Been there a few times, and always come away a bit bored. The cafe is dire. Cannock? Just been the once and enjoyed it hugely. Just a better experience all around. Swinley isn’t as easy to ride as people make out – flat means to get the best, you have to crack on. There are also bits that left me dizzy. OK if you live in the area, but I’d not put any effort into getting there otherwise.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Swinley…. Worth a visit ??’ is closed to new replies.