Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Swinley lap under an hour?
  • lustyd
    Free Member

Has anyone managed to do the current blue/red/blue course in under an hour? I feel like I could probably manage it if I ignore the pain and get just the right pressure in my fatty tyres 🙂

m0rk
    Free Member

23km/h

Maybe….. I’m about 36mins shy of that, so if you were an XC whippet then it’s probably in range.

Not on a weekend, or when it’s just rained I imagine

akira

Labyrinth seems to take about an hour, that could just be me though

Trimix
    Free Member

Im sure someone has. There is always someone faster. I remember doing Cwn Carn once pretty fast, or so I thought till I looked up the record. Its 38 mins FFS.

I cant even do the flat bit along the valley that fast, never mind the whole thing.

coldlambcurry
    Free Member

Trouble is when the weather improves they shut some trails for those bloody ground nesting birds. Without tank traps as they close that, it’s been done at least on strava. With it all open it’s not far off. Don’t try on a weekend though it’s a tad busy…

mb51
    Free Member

Hi. I’m 51, 102kg. Not that fit I just done it in 1hour 35mins in fairly muddy conditions, and I stopped a few times.But I do it for the buzz,time comes second So you might wanna get a bit fitter , and thinner tyres are a bit quicker, plus humidity can make a big difference. I suspect someone would of done it in an hour, but as u said , would have to be in week early or late in day. Best of luck doing it in an hour. I’ll keep out of your way as you fly by me.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

That’d be a stonking quick lap

It’ll not be me that does it

lustyd
    Free Member

@mb51 thinner tyres aren’t quicker I’ve done a 1:24 on the Jumbo Jim’s at 4.8″ and a 1:27 on the Rocket Ron’s 2.2″. You’re all right that Saturday is not the day to try, need a big horn to get the people out of the way in time! Hope they don’t close any more bits soon, I need to get this done!

Kryton57

1:13 at 9am and 1:17 with some traffic on the second lap today. On Ron 2.1s.

thomthumb
    Free Member

sträva has 2 segments; 18.1 & 22.2 km, listed for red+blue – no idea which is current?

KOM on 18.1 km is 1:07 and 22.2 1:26.

1:00 possibly.

olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

My riding buddy at Swinley has done it in 1.05, not when I’m slowing him down though!
    He rides with another guy sometimes on a 22lb rigid niner who’s even quicker than him though, so yes I’d say it can be done in under an hour.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Easily (pretty sure it had been done comfortably on Strava?).

I got as low as 1.10 years ago when the new trails were fairly new (so pre the new seagull bits), and was still being occasionally overtanken by propper XC whippets. That was on a rigid steel SS so there was more equipment derived speed to be had too.

I wonder if it would be quicker on a cross bike? It must save significant ammounts on the fire roads and stickler, but would probably struggle to maintain speed on deerstalker?

DT78
    Free Member

Should think I could do it. Blue warmup, blue red blue at decent pace with stops and chats is a chunk under 2hrs for me and my buddy. I seem to always go wrong somewhere on red though and never get a proper loop time.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

akira – Member

Labyrinth seems to take about an hour, that could just be me though

Not just you

…. but it could just be us.

LittleNose
    Free Member

Not just you

…. but it could just be us.

that section is just not enjoyable at all

Tiger6791

I think current Swinley in under an hour is a big ask!

On Strava KOM for a full loop (this year) is 1:08

Current one with Tank Traps at end of Red

https://www.strava.com/segments/13358122

Fastest STW’er appears to be Darren T @ 1:22

njee20
    Free Member

KOM on 18.1 km is 1:07 and 22.2 1:26.

1:00 possibly.

The 1:07 is a team mate of mine, surprised how slow that is for the KOM actually. Feels that 11mph average would be incredibly doable round there. I’m really surprised it’s not faster. I wonder if there’s something odd in the segments that means people don’t usually pick up the “official” ones. I’d expect George Budd or Isaac Pucci to have done it.

cookeaa

I doubt that many people actually go there chasing the full loop KOM really…

I would be interested to see what the “perfect” swinley loop bike turns out to be, my head says lighter, rigid 29er with a bit of tyre girth, but I could well be wrong…

Scamper
    Free Member

Budd and Pucci? Recognise those names, think hold most of the KOM’s down the road on Chobham Common. Or at least did until a new local rider came in.

coldlambcurry
    Free Member

I did it last year when they opened tank traps again in 110.59 wasn’t pushing it, on a s/s rigid. You gain some & loose some it’s all fitness based over there, you can only push so far at 52 though…

deanfbm
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound fun

njee20
    Free Member

On Strava KOM for a full loop (this year) is 1:08

It’s March… give it a few months until it’s warmer and faster. Definitely doable I say. Not by me, mind!

benpinnick

My best time for both combined is 1:07, so maybe 1:12 allowing for extra tiredness if I did do both at once (I come in a different route so theres no strava lap for where I start and finish). I would not be surprised if someone like Isaac would take that apart and go under 1 hour, but that would be a small group.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Feels that 11mph average would be incredibly doable round there

There’s a lot of segements where it massively underestimates the distance and are hard to maintain speed on. Even what feels like a quick lap of Stickler or Labrynth is unlikely to appear in double digits.

I doubt that many people actually go there chasing the full loop KOM really…

I would be interested to see what the “perfect” swinley loop bike turns out to be, my head says lighter, rigid 29er with a bit of tyre girth, but I could well be wrong…

I spent a summer chasing a 1 hour lap fruitlessly on a rigid SS 29er. I think like most things a FS 29er would be quickest simply because the lack of suspension lost a few bike lengths every corner in the labrynth and there aren’t the long steep climbs where a hardtail would pull ahead. Something like an Anthem, Spark, Epic, Scalpel etc.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I could do a lap of the car park in under an hour!

Tiger6791

There’s a lot of segements where it massively underestimates the distance.

Nope, think it’s pretty spot on.

Segment numbers – Full Loop 2016 Autumn = 22.9km

My Garmin recorded 21.4km for a full loop..

maxtorque

cookeaa

I think it’d be a 100mm FS 29er, because the rear suspension lets you stay sat down and pedal hard through the chop that tends to define a lot of swinley lap. No, it’s not mega rough, but there are plenty of bits where you need to unweight the saddle a bit on a HT, where you could stay sat down on a FS, and hence keep pedalling.

njee20
    Free Member

I’d reckon super light 29er hardtail or FS, which will depend on the rider, but for a sub hour lap you’ll not be sitting down all that much!

Tiger6791

Reckon a Spesh Epic 29er was made for Swinley fast laps* 😀

(if it’s Sunny tomorrow and stays dry between now and tomorrow I might go over and see if I can set a time)

*i don’t have an Epic

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, or a Top Fuel/Spark/Anthem etc. Although as it is smooth I suspect a hardtail would probably be as quick.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

There seems to be quite a few Swinley loop segments on Strava so it’ll depend on which one you’re talking about.

There was one where I managed a 1.04 or 1.06 for a full lap, possibly last year, but I don’t know what the segment name was. That segment had a KOM time of something like 56 minutes.

Tiger6791

Sub 1:10 last year without Tank Traps and the new red bits was quite do-able for a STW chubber 😆

lustyd
    Free Member

I think you’re all confirming what I thought, I need another bike! I don’t have a full sus in the stable hence my appalling lap time

theotherjonv

Although as it is smooth

While there’s no real rough stuff, I reckon being able to sit down and push a gear on the ‘cobbles’ on a FS would be more efficient than being on a HT that’ll skip and skitter over them.

Based on my experience on sections like the flat bits from USP to the boundary with Crowthorne and on to the green gate, where on a HT / SS I always end up feeling like I’ve had a jackhammer shoved up my arse.

(OK, what I *imagine* that’d feel like)

[edit – and 1:18 when I was younger, fitter and lighter, so my experience is probably irrelevant compared to a race whippet on a carbon HT who’d ride it all standing up]

theotherjonv

side issue – who do we think is THE fastest Swinley rider. Budd and Pucci are definitely up there, what about Steve James?

DT78
    Free Member

That 1.22 involved a bit of waiting around for my mate and a couple of chats on the boring stretches.

I’m on a scale and he is on a spark. I’d say a 100m FS is the way to go, my lower back starts to hurt as even though it is not proper rough it isn’t smooth either. Some of the times through labyrinth are insane, the other day I didn’t make a single mistake, no poor lines and put down power whenever I could and still miles off the fastest time. Co e to the conclusion that I personally can’t go much quicker through there, it’s not my legs that are holding me back, and I’m pretty decent at handling a bike to. Must be digital epo…

Kryton57

Yesterday my laps were in my 100mm carbon HT. although I didnt feel it at the time, I feel battered today.

I ran Rons at 24psi and on the Blue trail – I thinks it’s Laberynth – I had a few drifting moments on those cobbles. I don’t like that section, there’s no “flow” at pace as the turns are too tight / close together for me.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

side issue – who do we think is THE fastest Swinley rider. Budd and Pucci are definitely up there, what about Steve James?

Obvs me, having held the KOM on Red 15/The Big Dipper for coming up 4 years 8)

Total pro.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Hob Nob – Member
    Obvs me, having held the KOM on Red 15/The Big Dipper for coming up 4 years

Total pro.

I’m not sure it’s as fast as it used to be, but if your KOM time is the 51 seconds then chapeau! A good 15 seconds faster then me…

thepurist

Some parts eg deerstalker labyrinth red 15 were all quicker when they were fresh, so a time from 2014 isn’t really comparable with a time set this year. That’s my excuse for being miles off my PR, let alone the KOM.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Swinley lap under an hour?’ is closed to new replies.