Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Swaledale/Dales MTB Centre – one hell of a week.
  • RustySpanner

Just got back from a superb week in Swaledale:
    87 miles and 7800 feet of climbing – no wonder we're both knackered!

Things we liked:
    The Farmers Arms in Muker.
    Is it possible to fall in love with a pub?

Friendly locals.

The Usha Gap Camp site.

The Lady Anne Clifford Highway – Longest downhill we've ever done plus superb random sculptures.

The friendly welcome, advice and & cake available at the Dales MTB centre – booked in for a weekend in October!

Fast descents – Apedale Road and Old Gang Beck – scary, but so, so good.

The road climbs up to the Tan Hill Tavern and up out of Askrigg.
    Remember kids, pain CAN be fun!

Things we didn't like:
    Being soaked everyday but one. I think I've got trench arse.

The effect of Old Peculiar on the male digestive system. Ms Spanner will shortly be starting a 'What gas mask for Theakstons?' thread.

Seeing loads of rabbits suffering from myxi – something I thought I'd never see again.

Not seeing ONE other mountain biker whilst out riding – such a fantastic area deserves better – where the hell was everyone?

Can't recommend the area and the people highly enough – see you in October for the skills course?

FOG

Ssshhhh!! They'll be all up there if you are not careful.
    Seriously though folks i have ridden in swaledale every year since I got an mtb [1986] and it never disappoints. The MTB centre is a really good addition to the areas charms. Last time we were there we spent an awful long time drinking coffee and eating cakes when we should have been riding.

Kinavit
    Free Member

…..where the hell was everyone?

I was sat at home planning my return visit for my 40th next year. One of my favourite places to ride in the country. Thanks for sharing the pics, can't wait now.

lowey

Gods own country.

We had a STW ride up there this year courtesy of Deejay and Fatgit.

Cant wait to go back.

tinribz
    Free Member

Was there last Sunday doing the Reeth TanHill loop. Had forgotten how great the scenery is round there. On the road bike though, and didn't see many other bikers either. Put it down to the bad weather (and 25%ers).

Will be back looking for some off road routes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Swaledale/Dales MTB Centre – one hell of a week.’ is closed to new replies.