Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Survival skills for STW?
  • Hohum
    Free Member

When I first joined this forum it felt a little bit like the Wild West to be honest. A forum with a similar culture, in my opinion, would be scoobynet.

Once I became used to it I am quite happy to admit that I do find it very funny and informative.

If a friend of yours was looking to join the STW forum what skills/personality traits would you recommend he/she use or try to develop to survive here?

meehaja
    Free Member

never say anything wrong. and if its right, support with references.

Jamie
    Free Member

Pick a side.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Troll some zoos and only sign up after 75% fight-success rate.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Thick skin. Leave your pretensions at the door.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Make sure your tyre logo/valve line up is correct.

Doont' misspull things or use bad gramma

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

and trim your grass

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Do you need to 'survive' here? Maybe tell them to take it less seriously than you do. It's the interwebs, not 'Nam

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

We're having a laugh. Its the intermernet don't forget. 🙄

hora
    Free Member

Well I've done three tours in Vietnam (plus an additional one that I am not allowed to discuss).

I can tell you right now that facing the Tiet offensive is far worse than any forum dweller can throw at you.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Leave your pretensions at the door.

has anyone actually achieved that ?

hora
    Free Member

Scoobynet is no where as near as helpful as STW'ers are though.

You can ask a question on here and people are willing to help. Over there you just get a read-receipt counter.

Too cliquey for their own good and unless you say 'I am thinking of taking my car to 400bhp' no one is interested.

MadPierre

Just spout a load of sh*te at folk you don't know even though you'd be scared to do it in the real world.

Stoner
    Free Member

The fact that TJ is always "certain", even if he's not "right" makes for unimaginable pig-headedness.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh Stoner, you've only gone and done it now.

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetleju…

hora
    Free Member

Aye. Don't say we warned you. On your head. Your now going to spend the next few hours arguing in concentric circles.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Know when to not contribute to a thread.

Always use STW forum as first point of contact in the event of a medical problem.

DezB
    Free Member

Don't: Try to promote your bike-related business.
    Don't: Think you know more about bikes than anyone on here.
    Don't: Argue techie stuff with the engineers on here
    Generally Don't: Be Kaesae

Don't: Be a complete twonk
    Generally Don't: Be Smee

molgrips
    Free Member

never say anything wrong. and if its right, support with references

Even that doesn't work if you are arguing with TJ 🙂

I'd have to say though that essential STW skills are a quick wit, sense of humour and the ability to realise that almost everyone here is not stupid, or wilfully trying to upset you. Just read carefully and maintain an even keel.

wwaswas

the reason no one on here can ever agree is that they are arguing from different premises.

igmc.

molgrips
    Free Member

Always use STW forum as first point of contact in the event of a medical problem

Or car trouble, or some obscure building/DIY issue.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Know when to not contribute to a thread.

ie never

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Ho hum – what's your u/n on Scoobynet 😉

Remember, anyone that repeatedly has a go at anyone is a repressed stalker geek…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

hora. Its hora on every single forum I use. I've browsed on their abit though rather than post.

A STW-version of them would be:

'Help my Dart forks arent working' – NO replies

'Help my titanium/with double barrelled-custom reservoir forks arent working' – 40 replies

Hohum
    Free Member

Surf-Mat – Member
    Ho hum – what's your u/n on Scoobynet

Remember, anyone that repeatedly has a go at anyone is a repressed stalker geek…

I think that it was davisa1.

Not been on there for a good few years though.

hora – Member
    hora. Its hora on every single forum I use. I've browsed on their abit though rather than post.

A STW-version of them would be:

'Help my Dart forks arent working' – NO replies

'Help my titanium/with double barrelled-custom reservoir forks arent working' – 40 replies

Very true hora, very true!

Some of the stuff I used to read on there was very funny. You could see the posters who took it way too seriously.

andy_hamgreen

healthy distaste of cats
    also good knowledge of domestic appliances for the 'what washing machine threads'…. 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

Singletrackworld:

An online home for middle aged, middle/upper class, predominantly English xc jey boy mincers whose idea of mountain biking consists of grinding around the country side in brightly coloured lycra on titanium singlespeed rigid ego chariots.

You need a titanium singlespeed rigid ego chariot. Which sounds awesome.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

the Tiet offensive

The "Tiet" offensive. Really…

brassneck

If you anger a forum regular, under no circumstances leave your shoes unattended.

SnS
    Free Member

….or trust a mysterious "bomber" wielding stranger.

Tbh – Just try and treat people as though you were having a face to face conversation instead of being a keyboard warrior.

Chris

yossarian
    Free Member

generally speaking, the law of threefold return is in effect on STW. this is no bad thing, but it does mean that the ability to consider the future before hitting the 'send post' button is a distinct advantage.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Very true yossarian. Knowing when and when not to hit the "Send Post" button has been the skill I have developed most.

And realising that marking something as not safe for work does not automatically mean you don't get a weekend in the cooler 😳

Candodavid
    Free Member

Never forget Tandem Jeremy is the font of all knowledge…or so he thinks

jimmyshand
    Free Member

Always remember that the great one may be wandering amongst you unnoticed.

Cougar

They're all barstewards, f'k em.

(-:

In all seriousness, I think it's a bit of a non-question. So long as you don't take yourself too seriously it's a fairly friendly place.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If yo want to see bitchyness try barryboys.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Be brave and contribute your knowledge, experiences and opinions – the writing is what makes it good. It's much more important to post than to fret about what the denizens might think. But…

Always be polite and respectful even if others aren't. I regret the time's I haven't been. And…

Be prepared to cop some flak and let it go.

molgrips
    Free Member

What's barryboys?

big-chief-96
    Free Member

People take the pi** out of you all the time. Just don't take stuff too seriously

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Survival skills for STW?’ is closed to new replies.