Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Surrey Hills – mud fest or OK?
  • Rickos
    Free Member

I’m staying in Peaslake for work on Wednesday night and was wondering if it’s worth bringing a bike at all or if the trails are just a swamp at the moment. Any locals like to proffer an opinion?

I thank-you…

jambalaya
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden since Tuesday when it was very wet and its rained a lot since then, that being said it was warm and sunny today, a lot depends on weather the next couple of days. As a minimum you should be able to take a 1hr spin on the better draining trails

nuke

Rode yesterday on Ranmore, Holmbury and Leith…fine as a more muddy XC ride but then I stayed off many of the trails. The main trails like BKB, Summer lightening drain ok but majority of others I can think of will just be a muddy mess by now. Rained again this evening but BBC weather is showing Wednesday could at least be dry.

Cost me a set of rear brake pads and I consciously tried not to use my rear brake…given the almost constant gritty wet grind I heard from the rear caliper I guess I didn’t even have to use it to wear them down. Coming down Wolverns finished them off. All good fun though 🙂

Rickos
    Free Member

Thanks for the info chaps. I think I’ll give it a miss this time and hopefully it will be nice and dry next time I’m overnighting.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Guess what ? Epic thunderstorm overnight …. 🙁

senorj

Yep -like the rest of the Sarf East – best left alone for a couple of weeks………..

soobalias
    Free Member

with the current weather, i wouldnt even recommend a road bike.

mattjg
    Free Member

The Greensands drain well, they’re sandy rather than claggy clay. Take your bike, get wet, have fun.

We do a night ride Weds, mail me for info.

Rickos
    Free Member

matt – will do next time…although I may be persuaded otherwise for this time – I keep changing my mind this morning. I’m staying in Peaslake.

mattjg
    Free Member

Yup I read. We start Westcott.

Personally I’d chuck my bike in the car and see what happens. It’s daylight to 9ish and even when it’s bad around here it’s never that bad.

mattjg
    Free Member

Anyway to answer your question, it’s sodden and puddly but not what I’d call a mud-fest.

timmys

I know twitter is not everyones cup of cup of tea but it is useful for checking out distant trails, the following are good for surrey hills updates;

@hurtwoodtrails
    @allbikedup
    @pedalandspokesc
    @SHMTBer

eg.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Jambalaya – did you get the one massive and extended clap of thunder between 12-1? I thought someone had reintroduced Concorde!!!

Isn’t it best to leave these trails to dry out?

mattjg
    Free Member

Isn’t it best to leave these trails to dry out?

Not sure it makes much difference, though I do go through the puddles rather than around them.

Rickos
    Free Member

Hmmm, this is Supernova…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Never remember which trail is supernova, but that tells enough surely?

mattjg
    Free Member

Yup you wouldn’t want to ride that if you want to stay dry. I was up there on Friday, that’s how it was. It’ll be the same today I think.

th: it’s the one that’s up to the right if you’re riding the big track uphill between the 2 car parks on Pitch. I dno the names either. But we have totally different names for BKB and ‘Yoghurt Pots’ too. Can’t get with these newfangled names….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Cheers Matt – I know the one you mean – think it has a few variations at the top. Does it come right out at the WBCP or is it the one (that seems new or improved to me) that runs parallel with the lower part of the track you refer to?

I have mixed feeling at the moment – don’t mind the mud and the rain, but feel its a bit antisocial to trash trails at the moment. Hence bailed out on peaslake mtbo at the weekend.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Nuts to that!

Time to join a road club.

mattjg
    Free Member

is it the one (that seems new or improved to me) that runs parallel with the lower part of the track you refer to?

This I think.

I rode it on Friday and it was great fun. The wet doesn’t diminish it for me.

As for erosion, I think with all the people Youtubing, writing on forums, setting up segments on Strava and Tweeting about SH, staying in on a rainy day isn’t going to make any difference.

(Are you my friend who is a Blurred architect?)

mattjg
    Free Member

ps feels ‘new’ to me too!

I think with all the people Youtubing, writing on forums, setting up segments on Strava and Tweeting about SH

‘& setting up bike shops’

njee20
    Free Member

You got a road bike? Excellent road riding around Peaslake!

Rickos
    Free Member

No road bike.

Prolly gonna do a few laps of BKB with jambalaya some time between 5 and 6 o’clock. At least BKB seems to handle the wet weather well enough.

mattjg
    Free Member

& if you can’t face a ride, take your trainers and run to the top of Holmbury Hill and back. You’ll have earned a pint if you do that!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Have fun guys – I think I will stick to a slippy run. Now which leaves more of a mess????

Matt – if the architect ? was for me, then no, not me sorry. But was blurred for sure after recent crash on Pitch. Havent ridden for 3 weeks due to sore ribs, chest muscles so this rain hasnt hit me too hard!

mattjg
    Free Member

th: yes it was (and Blur with a capital B). ouch. hope you’re back out soon.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@teamhurtmore – yes it shook the house !

mattjg
    Free Member

‘Laps’ of BKB? Yawn.

mattjg
    Free Member

Apols, totally unhelpful comment. Too much time online …

matt500
    Free Member

Typical Singletrack comment Matt! Too much time on here! Mud’s ok, just gets a bit wearing having to constantly replace pads and clean kit…

Rickos
    Free Member

I’ve never ridden there before, so just staying close to Peaslake is fine by me in all this mud and wet. Not been out for about 3 weeks, so any riding is good, but yes, we’ll probably do a little more than just a few laps of BKB. Jambalaya is showing me a few of the trails on the hill that drains OK (forget the name) for a couple of hours.

Sonor
    Free Member

At least BKB seems to handle the wet weather well enough.

Thats because a number of sections of BKB have been built and maintained to handle wet weather, Unlike supernova.

matt500
    Free Member

Senor, Brilliant. thanks for that.

mattjg
    Free Member

Guilty as charged, I will not become like that.

Rickos it’s a beautiful area, welcome to our extended back garden.

Cheezpleez

Aha! Sun’s out and I’m going for a slither. Actually you can avoid most of the mud if you choose your trails carefully and accept a bit more fire road than usual. Perhaps surprisingly, I find the built trails like BKB and Summer Lightning are not the most fun in the wet but them I’m a slime pervert 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

Have a good one Cheezy. Tomorrow?

jambalaya
    Free Member

mattjg – Member
    ‘Laps’ of BKB? Yawn.

We’ll be riding Golden Birdies, joking aside most people I introduce to BKB ask to ride it again. I’m hopeful we can find some “less wet” trails.

If you don’t mind I’d like to join one of your Wednesday rides, been doing Nirvana noon ride but that’s not going to be so convenient going forward.

mattjg
    Free Member

For sure. Ah the proper name.

See your mail re a ride.

Cheezpleez

Yup, great ride last night, although I did pick just about the most inappropriate route possible – over Ranmore, 3 Amigos, Wiggly wood, Druids Grove steps,etc. Man that chalky clag is slippery! Hoping to be out tonight Matt – see you then

foofighter
    Free Member

Rode the Hills last night. Fairly big puddles on most of the trails still, but nothing a good mud tire cant handle, its not sticky, so grip can be had. The puddles on Supernova are good for practicing berm technique, just rail around the top of ’em !

The worst bits are the bridleways on Pitch. Torrential rain plus logging activity equals impassable conditions. Means getting up to the fun bits would be a slog. We used ‘Death Star Killer Climb’ to avoid.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills – mud fest or OK?’ is closed to new replies.