Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Surrey Hills – Holmbury/Pitch
  • davosaurusrex

Anyone ridden there today? How are the trails running? Thankyouplease.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

As no one is answering – I was on Punchbowl this morning, a few puddles and standing water but still very dry. Doubt pitch is that different.

davosaurusrex

Cool, ta

jambalaya
    Free Member

Holmbury is always the drier of the two, supernova, John the Baptist on Pitch and Orange Clawhammer on winterfold plus the “rocky” stream bed bridle way usually run well after any rain. Let us know how it is I’ll be there tomorrow.

timpol
    Free Member

Did most of the trails on pitch today, all running well with minimal mud.

davosaurusrex

Cheers fella. We’re riding there tomorrow too. What time are you striking out jambalaya? I’ll be the lanky **** on the black Turner sultan

bubs

Leith is still quick and even Ranmore is holding up well. Holmbury seems to be good no matter what the weather throws at it, same goes for the steeper bits of Pitch. Have fun.

shortcut

Holmbury and Pitch are pretty dry. Leith not so much.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Orange Clawhammer

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pwg3qz]Clawhammer no more[/url] by SimonStill, on Flickr

A line was coming back when I was there a few weeks back but the trail’s a shadow of its former self. Latter section through the pine needles just needs a bit of riding in but the upper section’s basically gone. As has the claw.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@dave – 10 from Walking Bottom is the plan, blue Cotic, rented zip car Golf

@simon, that’s a bore I liked that trail especially the pine needles bit it generally ran well, will have to try and ride it in a bit !

davosaurusrex

jambalaya – we’ll be starting closer to 8 but I’ll say hello if I see you.

Anyone else starting early who fancies showing us a few of the lesser known trails? I know where evian, secret santa, supernova and a few others are but sure there’s a lot I’m missing.

davosaurusrex

Bubs- you still on my old 5 spot?

bubs

No, it has been hanging up in my shed for most of this year. Great frame (xl, 2011, gun metal grey, for sale at bargain price :D) but it was perhaps overkill for my local trails (Surrey Hills). Back on my Hemlock which just seems to make every ride fun (even on its little wheels). Think some of my mates are heading out early tomorrow, I’ll ask them to look out for you (but it usually pretty busy Sunday mornings so you will find someone to point you in the right direction).

jambalaya
    Free Member

@simon, indeed Clawhammer is no more, we attempted to ride down what was the trail but it rapidly turns into a mass of branches, debris and ruts from the logging vehicles. We got lost so couldn’t find the second section in the pine needles. Ended up a hike and bike and a clamber down the bank onto the road.

Good ride overall with trails running sweetly, even saw some “proper riders” doing the big gaps etc.

davosaurusrex

jambalaya – thanks for the info in the email, unfortunately only saw it after we got back, will have a look next time.
    We went down (what I assume was) clawhammer too and ended up clambering down the bank, in fact we caught up with another group of riders doing the same thing, Wasn’t you was it? Guessing not given the number of riders up there, Winterfold car park was half full at 8:30, the amount of bling around is just insane as well, you can barely move for carbon Santa Cruz!
    Couldn’t believe how dry and grippy it was, pretty much perfect after the rain and a bit of drying. Had to wait around for a few late starters so did Evian five times, fun!

jambalaya
    Free Member

No not us. Will drop you another email later. Car park was full at 9:30 so we parked half way up Radnor Road, top Pitch Car Park was full also when we rode past at 10:30

deadkenny
    Free Member

Went down clawhammer a few weeks back for first time in a year or more and there was a fresher line going off to the right and hooks up with a different entrance to Endor.

Real shame the old stuff has gone though. On the other hand we have Secret Santa, or the second half of it at least (the best bit).

davosaurusrex

Couldn’t remember where Secret Santa is, gah! Second half is one of my favourite Surrey trails

mattjg
    Free Member

The Clawhammer replacement seems better named Spirit-Level. A shame, I always enjoyed it and it had character, but trails come and trails go. Que sera sera (and thanks to the pixies as ever).

There’s other good stuff popping up, and we were out yesterday afternoon on another patch enjoying fantasy conditions. Mustn’t grumble!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@dk I decided I was going to navigate my way using special powers from ex-Orange Claw Hammer to the start of the second bit of Secret Santa with a bit of “how hard can it be, its near here somewhere and just off the track”. Just resulted in clambering through lots of debris and an apology to my mate 😳

mattjg
    Free Member

lol not sure how you lot managed to get that wrong really, these are not-enormous squarish blocks of woodland bounded by tracks!

please don’t ever go to Dartmoor …

gee
    Free Member

They’re all riding really well. I rode everything on Winterfold, Pitch, Holmbury, White Down and Leith yesterday and came across about 3 puddles and one wet bit from logging vehicles.

thewanderer
    Free Member

As the trails are so good… is anyone up for a night ride tomorrow before the rain comes down??

I can make Peaslake for 6:30.

deadkenny
    Free Member

A few months back went down the remains of Clawhammer and while the old trail is gone, a new line was running off to the right and straight into Carpet Land which was rideable but had to guess where the trail is.

Went down it today… all gone. The new line utterly trashed and have to lift bike over. Get to the path and the line into Carpet Land looked okay and tracks in… bugger. He’s trashed all that now. He’s not cut all the trees down, but the debris from what’s chopped has been evenly spread all over the remains. Can’t ride it at all.

🙁

mattjg
    Free Member

that’s a shame, but these things are cyclical. where one trail closes another will open.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills – Holmbury/Pitch’ is closed to new replies.