• This topic has 25 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Looking at a Vw Transporter T32 140 SWB with 120000k.. Am I Asking for trouble?
  • womble72
    Free Member

Wanting, needing more space for my business junk and also a decent ‘lifestyle’ car for dogs/bikes/adventures, I’ve been looking at getting a Vw Tranny. Seen a 2010 Kombi (ply lined 1/3 so probably a crew van) up for sale at 16k. It’s fully loaded with all the toys, is the colour I want and won’t make me look like a gangstaaar or a hippy surfer 🙂 Only problem is it has done almost 120k since 2010. So with that mileage, am I likely to get a vehicle that will be a money pit? Any owners/experts on here that could tell me what to look out for and if the T5 is a good vehicle to buy?

nasher
    Free Member

I have seen higher spec lwb shuttles going for cheaper than that and with less milage.

cant say on the new 2ltr engines but my 130 2.5 I bought with 150k on the clock, its now 200k after 1.5 years and the only fault I have had is the alternator bearings were going.still worked tho.

They are great vans, but costly to repair…… on that van I would want a new dual mass clutch fitted (they go at around that milage) and very costly to replace

burko73

They’re designed to do astronomical mileage quickly. They are also designed to be serviced and looked after. If the van looks like it’s been looked after and the services have been done on time etc then I wouldn’t worry about the mileage. Unless it’s obviously been a delivery van in town rather than eating up motorway miles.

I bought a 2.5tdi t4 6-7 yrs ago from the aa. It had 125k miles on it and was pretty good and very reliable. There were a couple of things that needed sorting over the yrs I had it but some were issues that always go on those like the clutch pedal mount. I had a clutch on it at 135k miles and did the timing belt which cost a few quid but they were pretty much service items at that mileage.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

A lot of the toys are relatively easily retrofitted so I’d be tempted to look for a lower mileage well looked after van for the same money (which seems a lot for a 120k old van).

timc
    Free Member

womble72 – Member
    won’t make me look like a gangstaaar

its a van mate 🙄

BoardinBob

16K???? There’s an 8 year old Vito for sale near me in immaculate condition with 160k for £5k. Bonkers.

Here you go: http://vans.autotrader.co.uk/used-vans/mercedes-benz/vito/2006-mercedes-vito-111-cdi-xlong-diesel-livingston-vfpa-8aa139cc489ced470148a212b5013e0f/sellertype/private/radius/50miles

trail_rat
    Free Member

its a vw – ofcourse its going to be a money pit…. but a money pit you cant getyour money out of unless you spend the silly money to fix it …

120k is nothing for a well looked after van of todays standard- how ever is loads for something thats been mistreated all its life.

16 k is stupid money though. not a hope in hell id buy that.

nasher
    Free Member

a new panel van has a list price of about 18k plus vat…. and you can easily convert to a kombi quite easily, and as said above you can easily retrofit a lot of spec options……

NorthShaun
    Free Member

Buy a Vito, then sit it on the drive and watch it rust!

bigyinn
    Free Member

NorthShaun – Member

Buy a Vito, then sit it on the drive and watch it rust!
    Beat me to it, tin worm loves a Vito!

Del

16 fricking k!!!!
    i wouldn’t go anywhere near it. it’d be like a scene from fight club if i bought that, with me repeatedly punching myself in the face.

molgrips
    Free Member

120 million miles? Holy cow!

They’re designed to do astronomical mileage quickly.

Given the moon is only 240,000 miles away, safe to say it’s already done that.

colp

I’ve got a 2006 Vito with absolutely no rust whatsoever, maybe the old model had problems?
    Had a Transporter hire van a few weeks ago and it was horrible compared to the Vito.

redstripe
    Free Member

Get one of the last 2011/12 Toyota Hiace 120’s, £8-10K, add £1000 on crew van conversion, won’t go wrong and plenty of change to spend on something else

womble72
    Free Member

This is the car in question T5 Kombi

h4muf
    Free Member

All Vito’s from 58 plate on are galvanised.

hora
    Free Member

My mate bought one of those back then new when they piled up at the docks due to the crunch for that price.

Converted or partially converted maybe but a tall 5 seater vehicle at 16k? No.

Be honest. In that setup how much useable space is in the back to warrant a change?

peabrain
    Free Member

My T4 has 230 000 ish miles on it and still going strong

steveh

h4muf – My understanding is that they have always been galvanised just not well enough. It supposedly changed for 58 plates onwards however the amount of vitos newer than that showing lots of rust at auctions shows it’s still not what it should be.

womble72
    Free Member

I’m currently driving a Landy disco3. My train of thought was that a T5 kombi would have more space if I removed the seats as and when needed then pop them back in when I need to ferry family/friends around. Perhaps a T5 van would be a better choice as i already have use of the wife’s car.

hora
    Free Member

You’d have to unscrew/rescrew from the floor?

womble72
    Free Member

Do they not have a quick release system? Un bolting them from the floor every time could be a PITA

burko73

My old t4 kombi had rear seats that un clipped easily on mushroom bolts fitted to the floor.

It is a lot of cash for “a van” but it is a quality van and a lovely drive vs a transit. Is it a 180hp?

At the end of the day, it’s up to you. If you like it, think it’s a reasonable deal and can afford it and it suits your needs just get it. Esp if your business is subsidising it. More tax efficient than a disco 3.

It’s amazing how much the add ons actually add up to. I was thinking of changing my stereo on my california as it doesn’t have Bluetooth or dab. It’s basically a grand either way I do it to keep the Oem look. Things like cruise, reversing beepers, fog lights, climate all aren’t that easily retrofitted, at least not in a value for money way.

Shop around and don’t get too fixed on that exact van. There will be others like it if not exactly the same.

mos

I’ve been looking at a similar thing but maybe a year newer & that price is pretty fair.
    like others have said, if you want a deal on a s/h kombi then you have to be flexible on spec & be willing to travel.

hora
    Free Member

& be willing to travel.

This. I travelled from Manchester to Dorset to pick up my Forester. It opens up more and you can be choosy. The only issue is if you buy a from a dealer a distance away if you had issue with say the DPF you wouldn’t necessarily want to drive 200miles to sort.

Mine comes with a 6months main dealer warranty. The only time I’d drive back is if the gearbox was on its way out but driveable. The rest I’d sort locally.

General note- remember if you buy privately to ensure the car comes with all the keys (logbook loans).

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Looking at a Vw Transporter T32 140 SWB with 120000k.. Am I Asking for trouble?’ is closed to new replies.