Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)
  • Surrey Hill – Where do I start?
  • bright
    Free Member

Got a Christening on Sunday in the south east so I have negotiated an exit pass for a ride on Saturday, I’ll be in Leatherhead so I assume Surrey Hills is the obvious choice? As a humble Welshman where do I start? I’ll be driving to “the hills” so where is best start location / where are the best trails?
    If anyone local fancies a ride I’m hoping to be there about 12, I’ll be the guy looking lost in a battered old 407!

njee20
    Free Member

Peaslake is the epicentre of it all, the trouble is that there are no waymarked trails. You could just follow your nose and you’ll probably find some decent stuff, but you could lose hours and miss everything worth riding.

It’ll be busy, you could do worse than hook up with a random group and ride with them, or ask for directions at least!

bright
    Free Member

Sounds good, I’ll head there and try and become a tag along. Anywhere in particular to park, a pub or something?

bentudder

Park at Walking Bottom car park in Peaslake – assuming you can find a space! If not, and if you don’t mind a climb back to the car, there’s a car park at the top of Holmbury Hill, too. There are not very many spaces in Peaslake to park, and it’s generally considered a good thing to stick the car in one of the Hurtwood Control car parks if you’re heading off for a while. HTH – and enjoy the ride!

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

pretty much what njee said.

Your best bet is to stick to Pitch Hill and Holmbury (Barry’s and Yogurt Pots are easy enough to find)

Pitch Hill has a myriad of stuff, you could swing by Pedal & Spoke I think they used to do a sort of trail map but I can’t be sure…

jambalaya
    Free Member

drop me an email

Car Park 2 is walking bottom, 3 is top of Pitch – both popular with bikers. 11 is near Barry Knows Best (and generally quiet/empty), 1 top of Holmbury and mostly walkers

Hurtwood Maps – Car Parking

bright
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, especially the map jambalaya; I’ve sent you an email.

Any trails I should make a point of riding / any you would miss?

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

there is no email in your profile but if you want t ping me as well, happy to point you in the way of some of the good stuff

bright
    Free Member

Emailed, I will update my profile now. Still getting settled in here, don’t get me started on my attempt to quote you!

rewski
    Free Member

You could always get a map from Nirvana cycles in Westcott. I tend to ride up to Leith Hill from Westcott, or drop in from top of Ranmore Common, less traffic and longer ride.

njee20
    Free Member

If you’ve got a GPS type thingummy this ride has most of the major trails on Winterfold/Pitch/Holmbury. Winterfold is a bit of a mess at the moment, I’d probably skip that depending on how much time you’ve got/how quick you are.

I’m wondering if I could be persuaded out now…!

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

go on njee you know you want too

njee20
    Free Member

If an email goes round ping it on to me as well, email in profile! I could do with being back earlier, but the weather looks good, so I’m tempted!

bright
    Free Member

Just emailed you njee, if anyone else fancies coming out send me an email.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@njee – Strava tracks like that just remind me how slow I am 🙁

bright
    Free Member

Njee, I’ve just looked at that gpx and realised it looks pretty rapid! There’s even a cup in there! 😕

njee20
    Free Member

S’ok, I’m happy to ride more slowly! That was a pretty hard ride. Gee of this parish is a bit of an animal, it’s never a slow ride if he’s there!

mega
    Free Member

stick me on the mail list pls! bright I sent you a mail

bright
    Free Member

Mega, your on the list (making 3 of us!) And I have forwarded you the email. If anyone else fancies it send me an email orbpost here.

njee20
    Free Member

Just replied Bright – I’m in!

Gotama
    Free Member

Yep, could work for me too. Was planning to go out Saturday anyway, albeit earlier than this but we have nothing planned so should be fine.

njee20
    Free Member

Bloody hell, this is verging on becoming something organised!

I’ll warn folk now, I don’t own baggies, and will wear lycra 😉

bright
    Free Member

Great stuff Gotama. Really looking forward to this, weather even looks OK!

Gotama
    Free Member

Njee – I’m more worried about you tearing my legs off than your lycra to be honest!!

njee20
    Free Member

Haha, nah, you’ll be fine! You can all laugh at my mincing on anything downhill!

mattjg
    Free Member

nothing to see here, I recommend Swinley.

singletrackmind

I might be tempted out to play.
    It gets dark pretty early so earlier is better for me if at all possible, even 30mins would be good.
    usual rules.- If Im there , Im there . If Im not there then do not wait.

njee20
    Free Member

C’mon Rob! Meeting at car park 10 – just up the hill from Walking Bottom, it’s smaller, but generally far quieter.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Ah, I’d have tagged along, but I’m going on Sat instead.

Gotama
    Free Member

Errr, this is for Saturday. Unless we’re all going for a ride whilst the OP goes to a christening 😀

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Whoops! Misread that!

Might see you all there then!

bright
    Free Member

Its definitely ride Saturday, christening Sunday. If I get that wrong, arranging time for future STW rendezvous will suddenly become a lot less difficult! 😕

njee20
    Free Member

Mid day, car park 10 then – just up the road from Walking Bottom on Lawbrook Lane.

thewanderer
    Free Member

Might join y’all if that’s ok – will be riding my Titus Fileline.

njee20
    Free Member

The more the merrier!

Nobby

Hmmmm, tempting. Not sure if being ruined in the woods by njee is an ideal recovery from manflu or my current dose of fatandslowitis.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Have fun guys should be a good one looking at the forecast.

@bright may I suggest you bring a £1 and put it in the collection cairn at the entrance to walking bottom car park. Money goes to Friends of the Hurtwood, supports the work of the ranger etc.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Perhaps you and I should ride together @Nobby, my last ride there was 12km in 2 hours, clearly the mud was 2 feet deep, the climbs steep and technical the descents very tricky. I did stop a lot 😐

njee20
    Free Member

Not sure if being ruined in the woods by njee is an ideal recovery from manflu or my current dose of fatandslowitis.

That sounds a lot more dodgy than I’d like 😉

teasel
    Free Member

Two social gatherings in one month?!

Naaaah…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hill – Where do I start?’ is closed to new replies.