Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 214 total)
  • Surly have got the right approach to customer service…
  • toys19
    Free Member

I’ll be honest, that is somewhat off putting.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Heh

khani
    Free Member

😀 funny, although if I wanted a pig iron frame I’d get an on one for half the price…

bearnecessities

I agree.

bikey
    Free Member

I suppose you can try too hard to be “Niche”…

chakaping
    Free Member

Imagine the outcry if Superstar put that on their site!

toxicsoks
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

That level of honesty would be refreshing.

seba560
    Free Member

I like, sorts the wheat from the chaff.

toys19
    Free Member

bikey – Member

I suppose you can try too hard to be “Niche”…

That’s kinda what I was thinking, too cool for you. I friend of mine is insanely rich and I was with him one day when he went to look at/consider buying a brand new merc. He asked the price and the salesman cliched with “if you have to ask the price you obviously cannot afford it”. My mate was a bit turned off buy this and just walked away. I think he gave up any pretentsions of showing off how rich he was because he bought a toyota for practicality.

chakaping – Member

exactly.

Ewan
    Free Member

Hmmm. Not buying anything off them. That is possibly the point tho.

seba560
    Free Member

🙂

RustySpanner

Bit knobby, tbh.
    Trying way too hard.

Simlarly, there must be a good market for a Cross-Check Disc, but they won’t make one.
    Shame really. Daft to turn money away at the mo.

bencooper
    Free Member

Funny, considering the number of Rohloff builds I’ve done on their frames 😉

The one thing about Surly that annoys me is that they measure frame sizes differently to everyone else on the planet.

RobHilton
    Free Member

sur·ly
    /?s?rl?/

Adjective
    Bad-tempered and unfriendly

You may prefer http://www.amiablebikes.com

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Try hard, comes across as somewhat immature would make me think twice before spending my money with them, which ultimately as a business should be their aim.

konabunny
    Free Member

Tryhards. I’m sure some tryhard punters will eat it right up.

bencooper
    Free Member

Well, it depends – they’ve probably decided that they attract more people who like their attitude than they repel.

It’s childish marketing – like writing **** in big letters on your clothes. Ooh, aren’t you naughty, what would your parents say?

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Tryhards. I’m sure some tryhard punters will eat it right up

This. Trying to be edgy, but just comes across as dickish, which is a shame as I like Surly.

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Good on them, cleary an attempt at being funny and will probably only offend the Pinkbike-grommet-mafia who will, no doubt, start an entire thread and Bookface page about it thinking they will actually have some chance of destroying the entire company.

What I think Surly should do is . . .

Rorschach
    Free Member

I suspect that’s the idea

tazzymtb

funny as chuff. To be honest the same folks upset by surly are probably the same one who have paroxysms of rage and more hand wringing than an OCD sufferer over Cove bike names as well. It’s bikes, bikes are fun, chill the flip out and get over your little serious selves*… 😆

*or go back to riding you specialneedstrekgiant5’s safe in the knowledge that you can be at one with the trail mincer herds

big snogs

xx

SixFootTwo
    Free Member

part arrogant, part knobbish, think they’ve gone for style (edgy) over content and tried to stand out

Ringo
    Free Member

It’s funny, and to me it sums up surly, no nonsense no shit,

MrNutt
    Free Member

free advertinging works stupids.

tazzymtb

, think they’ve gone for style (edgy) over content and tried to stand out

think it’s more a case of not really giving a flying xxxx about what 99% of mtb world think as they’re happy doing their own thing. If they wanted to be a big corporate cycle company like trek they’d have to be all polite and nice even to folks they think are dobbers

Cougar

Reads like an “I was bored one Friday afternoon” blog post to me.

And it’s got us talking about it, so it’s probably served its purpose.

scaredypants

If they put some good stuff on there “If one of our bikes breaks and it’s our fault, we’ll sort you out” then the direct approach might sound reassuring

As it is: 6th form project B+ 😐

tazzymtb

From surly

Seeing how I am the self appointed “Tsar of Anti-Social Media” I wanted to take a moment to talk to you about social media and how it fits within Surly. I understand some of you do not particularly care for things like Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, so on and so forth (the names alone make me want to hate them right away). Not everyone that works for Surly likes the whole social media thing as well; but everyone understands it has its place and its uses. I get the feeling that most of the angst revolves around the fact that it’s not cool because everyone is using it. It’s not punk rock enough for you and you’re way too cool for that. I get that. I mean, why would you want to be just like everyone else? After all, you’re a unique and very special snowflake, right? You’re not going to fall in line with the rest of the cattle. Just because everyone is doing it doesn’t make it right, right? That’s all well and good but I’m here to tell you no matter how hard you try and ignore it, it’s not going to go away any time soon. For some companies it’s become the way they do business, they live and die in that world. Other companies try too hard and it becomes blatantly obvious that they have no idea what they’re doing. We tend to do things our way around here.

Here’s what I think about social media: Social media should be used by companies to be nothing more than social with the people who use and enjoy your products. I know that may be pretty hard to wrap your head around so give it moment to sink in. I believe that you shouldn’t use social media to sell your products; there are far too many better ways to do that. I’d much rather see you go to your local bike shop for some real world human interaction than have you click on a link on your Facebook page. Trust me, its way more rewarding to do that and you are doing your part to keep cycling alive in your community. I view social media they way Surly does it as an insight to who we are, what we do, how we do it, and the world we live in. Most importantly I think it should be fun. It’s not always going to be politically correct, prim and proper, and even relevant all of the time. It’s not our soap box, that’s what our blog is for. We don’t use all of it all of the time and days can go by with not a peep from us. We don’t have a ton of fans on Facebook or a shitload of followers on Twitter. What we have are honest people that follow us that are true fans of Surly Bikes, not inflated numbers from “fan gating”.

If you don’t get it, don’t worry, you probably don’t like the idea of a single speed fat bike or riding and drinking beer at the same time either 🙂

RustySpanner

tazzymtb – Member

*or go back to riding you specialneedstrekgiant5’s safe in the knowledge that you can be at one with the trail mincer herds

think it’s more a case of not really giving a flying xxxx about what 99% of mtb world think as they’re happy doing their own thing. If they wanted to be a big corporate cycle company like trek they’d have to be all polite and nice even to folks they think are dobbers

If you don’t get it, don’t worry, you probably don’t like the idea of a single speed fat bike or riding and drinking beer at the same time either

Wow!

You’re so individual.
    I’ve never met a rebel like you before.

Of course, I always knew I was special and different, but others just couldn’t see this based on my personality, thoughts or actions.

Losers eh!

Now they will KNOW how special, radical and different I am, because I will buy less popular products from smaller companies.
    They must be better than the mainstream stuff – only individuals like us could possibly understand the cleverness of their ironic advertising.

I feel safe with this brand – they only appeal to special people like us, not all those other idiots.

And now, because I use this brand, other people will know how special and individual I am, even if they can’t tell this from what I do or say.

I love my special life. Don’t you? 😀

ton

no nonsense…..like their bikes.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I have a surly fork (complete with factory-applied Surly Branding just so people know how surly I am) fitted to a specialized frame, on which obviously the downtube logo could be seen from a low orbit. I just don’t know what to think any more. 😀

RustySpanner

Don’t get me wrong – I like Surly products – the road bike stuff is about as tradiional as you can get – solid, old fashioned steel frames at an almost reasonable price.
    Every company used to sell a Pacer/LHT equivalent – Trek still do in the
    states, the 520. Lovely bikes.

It’s people trying to grow a chin by associaion that make me laugh. 😉

tazzymtb

You’re so individual.
    I’ve never met a rebel like you before.

It’s people trying to grow a chin by associaion that make me laugh.

que?

nice set of personal insults there rusty not quite sure they’re directed at me, but hey if you feel you’ve scored some sort of obscure point…then i’m glad to be of service.

nice to see you commenting about “try hard individual” and then starting threads asking about alternative subcultures and music.

me think the lady doth protest too much 😆

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I just thought it was a bit of fun!
    Do people really read that blog and make a decision not to buy a bike off a company on something like that? ….really! Wow!

Basically they are the us version of on one before on one got more organised/ serious are they not

Oh and rusty spanner Taz hasnt got a surly but has got a sense of humour- try it you might like it 😉

seba560
    Free Member

*starts compiling a list of people who seba would like to go for a drink with and who to avoid at all costs*

RustySpanner

nice set of personal insults there rusty not quite sure they’re directed at me, but hey if you feel you’ve scored some sort of obscure point…then i’m glad to be of service.

Apologies, I thought you were being ironic 😯

It’s bikes, bikes are fun, chill the flip out and get over your little serious selves*…

See, those two paragraphs are completely mutually exclusive.
    You’re ARE trying to be ironic, right?
    You don’t really mean that about people who ride Treks & Giants, surely?

My point was that Surly make possibly the most traditional road bikes on the market.
    Trying to make out that they are somehow alternative is a bit off.
    They have more in common wih the bikes your grand-dad rode than 99% of bikes in the Specialized catalogue.

nice to see you commenting about “try hard individual” and then starting threads asking about alternative subcultures and music.

me think the lady doth protest too much

Eh?
    Music is just music – unless you’re permanently stuck at 12 years of age.
    All musical subcultures are manifestations of the same contradictory teenage desires of acceptance, rebellion and individuality.

True individuality comes from inside your head, not from the width of your trousers.

Oh and rusty spanner Taz hasnt got a surly but has got a sense of humour- try it you might like it

Yes, that’s what I’ve always thought too. 🙂
    Hence the surprise.
    He doesn’t come across as a sensitive little flower. 😀

Northwind

I like it, though I didn’t think it was all that well done… Still,

“The name is Surly. What did you expect, Flowers and ****ing unicorns?”

tazzymtb

unless you’re permanently stuck at 12 years of age.

bit grown up for me that, try about 7 with a child like wonder of all things freaky 😀

You don’t really mean that about people who ride Treks & Giants, surely

yep, never met one I like and they all smell of wee and cabbage

Just out of interest, has anyone here used Surley’s customer service ?
    How true is that ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 214 total)

The topic ‘Surly have got the right approach to customer service…’ is closed to new replies.