Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Supplements WTF?
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

Listening to some guys at work wittering on about bodybuilding supplements. Jesus H, there is talk of “face twitching, it’s now banned etc, etc”. Does this stuff actually work and is it any good for your body? I personally don’t see the point in weird chemicals, but that’s me.

warton
    Free Member

I have a fruit shake for breakfast, with a scoop of protein powder, and a teaspoon of coconut oil in it, that’s all..

organic355
    Free Member

assume the face twitching is some kind of pre-work out stimulant like CRAZE or JACK3D??

I find a cup of strong coffee and a banana/handful of nuts does the trick, no need for all these chemicals.

oh and my breakfast…. Smoothy/shake comprising: sachet or oats, mixed nuts, spinach, banana, blueberries, omega 3 oil, skimmed milk (sometimes almond milk) and 2 scoops or banana protein powder.

Nothing unnatural about that is there?

somouk
    Free Member

A guy I used to train with in the US was into his supplements and they didn’t really do anything for him that a can of Red Bull couldn’t have done.

He’s now swapped to a new diet and training regime which is written for him and has been using some vitamin supplements to ensure he has a truly balanced diet and has seen better gains than ever.

tinybits
    Free Member

Looking at the amount of triangular people, I assume that the steroids supplements do in fact work, and if people just want to get big and sod the consequences, then why not!?

zilog6128

If you want to get “big” there’s very little you need to do except lift heavy weights, eat lots & sleep lots. Bodybuilding supplements (above & beyond simply protein powder) are popular because it’s natural to want a quick fix and/or people prefer to hand over cash than put in hard work but most of them really don’t do a great deal. Not massively different to MTBers being overbiked though, perhaps.

_tom_
    Free Member

I sometimes have a low carb protein shake after a workout as I often think I don’t eat enough protein. Not sure if it works but it tastes nice and doesn’t have nearly as many calories as a normal milkshake 🙂

Nothing unnatural about that is there?

The almond milk, it tastes bloody rank.

Clong
    Free Member

I think it a rite of passage that all gym types go through, i know i did. I have over heard various conversations within the gym about whether or not the protein powder with bat poo is better that the one with unicorn spit. Its all largely marketing.

As to whether they work, maybe. I’ve trained with a couple of olympians and yes they would use supplements, but only because they were free if they endorsed them. They tended to eat a very healthy diet, just a lot of of and the supplements were just that, supplements.

CaptJon
    Free Member

monkeychild – Member
    Listening to some guys at work wittering on about bodybuilding supplements. Jesus H, there is talk of “face twitching, it’s now banned etc, etc”. Does this stuff actually work and is it any good for your body? I personally don’t see the point in weird chemicals, but that’s me.

I bet they skip leg day too.

footflaps

The 40 year olds with acne like a 15 year old are a sure sign that Steroids work (as acne inducing drugs anyway).

monkeychild
    Free Member

I bet they skip leg day too.

Funny you should say that….. THey also ignore cardio too. I get protein shakes, as I take them myself when the need arises. It’s all the bonkers pre workout stuff they are going on about that I don’t get.

zilog6128

If getting big is your goal, then cardio is a waste of time! In fact, doing “cardio” in the gym is always a waste of time (that’s what bikes are for!)

peterfile
    Free Member

Didn’t bodybuilding.com get stung a while back for selling regular supplements which contained banned substances?

They claimed they had no idea, which is even more worrying!

monkeychild
    Free Member

My brother in law is big and ripped, he does a lot of cardio (football, swimming, running) as well as lifting heavy. He just takes protein and eats cleanly. This is why I get confused by it all lol.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I don’t know which supplements those guys you mention are taking but I drink one or two milkshakes a day which have whey protein, oats, dextrose and creatine in them. They taste good and fill me up. As to whether they “work” or not I’m not sure, I work out 4 or 5 times a week and certainly feel that I can recover quicker when drinking the milkshakes. Could be a placebo, but it doesn’t matter.

On a side note it’s really easy to identify the roiders at the gym. They always look a bit off, as if their skin is overly stretched. Not to mention the testicular atrophy obvious in the shower room 🙂

monkeychild
    Free Member

There’s no steroids being used. It was the bizarre stuff they were on about using before a workout. I did ask them why they used it and they got very precious about it, saying they needed it?? Ah well, each to their own and that. I am still none the wiser as to why the hell you would take something that gives you heart palpataions, sweats, etc.

glupton1976
    Free Member

handful of nuts

Titter.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

There’s no steroids being used. It was the bizarre stuff they were on about using before a workout. I did ask them why they used it and they got very precious about it, saying they needed it?? Ah well, each to their own and that. I am still none the wiser as to why the hell you would take something that gives you heart palpataions, sweats, etc.

Yes I can’t quite understand the need for any of that, a bowl of oats and a handful of raisins 45 minutes before working out would be just as beneficial. But then I don’t understand why people drink “Energy” drinks either.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Surely a good healthy diet and regular excise is all you need?
    Shoving all these chemicals down your neck really cant be good for you?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Lots of drugs are sold under the guise of supplements. Various steroids for example, which have never been registered as drugs, hence aren’t (until they get singled out and banned). Generally they’re slight variation to mainstream drugs or ones that were discarded in early trials as they were nasty.

GHB was sold as a supplement. When that was banned GABBA became popular. That’s now banned I believe. It was some weird stuff. As it crossed the brain/blood barrier your heart rate spiked. Really odd.

Generally the not-legal-to-sell stuff is a safer alternative to what you can buy as “supplements” these days. 😯

organic355
    Free Member

handful of nuts
    Titter.

Took you long enough 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

“face twitching, it’s now banned etc, etc”.

G.A.B.A?

Good cure for insomnia too (hosuemate was a bodybuilder, I had insomnia). Your body metabolises it to somethign similar to HGH.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Supplements WTF?’ is closed to new replies.