Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Fight Back…… or not, what to do?
  • samuri
    Free Member

I’ve typed and retyped quite a lot and now I’ve deleted it again. It’s very hard for me to stay un-emotional about this. I’ll leave it at this.

I hate bullies with a passion. I don’t care what made them that way. I was bullied constantly at school, very nastily at times. I would never, ever tell my dad. As an ex-soldier he would have considered me a wimp.

If I ever would have got the chance to punch just one of these bullies in the face, I’d have done it till I could punch no more.

I still hate bullies. That video up there made me smile.
    If someone was bullying your lad and he hit them only three times, don’t be to hard on him.

yunki
    Free Member

Get him down the local boxing club

crikey
    Free Member

Jeez, times have changed for sure. This kind of low level physical stuff was routine when I was at school and warranted a telling off rather than all this soul searching and distress.

I had to put a fight off to go home for my tea, cos I was more concerned about being told off for the tea thing than the fight.

I lost, but had my tea….

molgrips
    Free Member

In my experience, the bully will not pick on him again.

That’s not my experience. I had our year bully try to indimidate me. I managed to nullify him by not being afraid of him and being more intelligent than he was. He was expelled.

anagallis_arvensis

managed to nullify him by not being afraid of him and being more intelligent than he was

You have to be more intelligent than someone I suppose. 😀

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I seriously doubt a 13 year old has ever killed anyone with a punch to the face.

But a 14 year old has…

We use the above example when explaining to pupils and parents the seriousness of an inappropriate response. In almost every situation multiple blows to the head are inappropriate.

flap_jack
    Free Member

IMO 3 is restrained. He didn’t start it, and as long as he continues to not start something, all is OK. If he starts something, then get worried.

Finishing it is OK IMO.

Woody
    Free Member

I managed to nullify him by not being afraid of him and being more intelligent than he was.

The more I read that, the more I giggle.

Was this on a school forum? 😆

Frankers
    Free Member

Turns out the lad “Kyle” grabbed my lad round the throat so he decided to punch him, Kyle is known trouble maker and expelled from last school.

My gut reaction is well done for standing up for himself, I hate bullies!!

DT78
    Free Member

There are some fantastic and easy self defence moves for the good old throat grab….It’s great if they do that, in effect they have given you one of their limbs..

My personal favorite and used to great effect – is stick 2 fingers in his throat where the top of the collar bone is, just above the v bit of bone. Push in hard and downwards hooking below the bone. Give it a go on yourself now….(gently!)

Oh and worth digging in your chin and turning it to the angle of the arm helps too.

Simples. Low risk and guaranteed to work. No need to punch.

My other favorite, bit more complicated, is an upper palm strike to the privates, grab the nuts twist and pull. You can add a secondary strike just above delicate parts (aim for just below the belt buckle) with your other hand, as you pull. Women normally like that one.

molgrips
    Free Member

managed to nullify him by not being afraid of him and being more intelligent than he was
    You have to be more intelligent than someone I suppose

Given the kid in question, it was not at all difficult 🙂

Wozza
    Free Member

My brother decked the school bully. This lad not only never tried anything on him again but he left everyone else alone too. You can’t be intimidating when your victim responds “I’ll get Scott to knock you out again”.

In all seriousness your lad stuck up for himself and did the controlled thing and stopped at 3 punches. Good lad I say.

sparksmcguff

Martial arts club if you’re worried about him losing his calm. It’ll certainly help him learn to control his situation better.

scousebri
    Free Member

He is a 13 yr old lad, lads fight sometimes. I wouldn’t worry to much about it.I’m sure it wont be the last time he comes to blows with somebody. As long as its kept civil ( no stamping, hitting when down etc) then just tell him you’re not impressed with his behaviour. If he was hit first the lad has every right to hit back .

loum
    Free Member

support him for the first punch.
    explain that the second and third punches were probably unnecessary – and make him do the dishes/hoovering/whatever paint the fence and wax the car as ‘punishment’?

edit. sounds like he did the right thing.

trambler

I think he probably hit the bully a second and third time to repel the attack as the bully was still a threat about to do your lad some damage. Right to self defence an all that. Like people have said, one punch can and does kill, so you’re lad was defending himself from and was in fear of that. ……..

JulianA
    Free Member

I wish I’d beaten the crap out of the first person to bully me… Might have saved me from twelve years of school misery.

Coyote
    Free Member

FFS! Talk about hand-wringing bollocks.

You should be proud of him. Lad went for him, he gave “Kyle” acouple of smacks in the chops will make him think before doing it again.

Totally agree with samuri.As someone who was a target at school I wish I’d had the balls to fight back. Good on him.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wish I’d beaten the crap out of the first person to bully me… Might have saved me from twelve years of school misery.

Yeah, didn’t work for me. I always hit back, never made any difference.

Bullying is a state of mind – otherwise it’s just lots of fights (or stand-offs)

JulianA
    Free Member

Maybe you just didn’t finish the job properly Molgrips 😀

Totally agree with Coyote.

brakes
    Free Member

one punch can and does kill

how probable is it though? especially with kids?

tymbian
    Free Member

OP.you don’t know how long this thing with Kyle intimidating your son has been going on. Sounds to me like Kyle the bully got what he deserved. I’ve told all my sons never to be the bully but do whatever you feel you need to do incl. walking away if necessary. Also told them not to wait until the bully throws a punch or the suchlike…if you feel threatened = react.

Hope there are no repercussions for your lad ( from the bully, bully’s mates or teachers ).

NZCol

I was bullied at school, for ages i tried to just walk away and ignore. One day I had had enough and when the school ‘hard man’ gave me a smack i twatted him one. I then booted the crap out of him. Funnily enough i never had any further problems at schoool. It was self defence really and quite frankly my kids will get the same advice as tymbian above said ^
    Don’t go looking for trouble equally dont be doormat, stand up for yourself.

martymac

i was bullied terribly at school, by a few kids, but one in particular.
    eventually the main one pushed and pushed until i snapped and punched the shit out of him.
    the blood was everywhere, i broke his nose and cheekbone as he was sitting leaning against a brick wall at the time.
    he didnt get out of hospital for 3 days and shortly afterward had to start wearing glasses.
    no action was taken against me as my dad phoned the school and pointed out that i had reported the previous bullying to them and they had done nothing about it, this was backed up by many other pupils telling the staff what had happened.
    i am definitely not proud of what happened, but i will say this, the guy never spoke to me at all for the rest of our time in school, and all the other bullying from other kids stopped at the same time as well.
    many years later (when i was about 40) i found out from a friend that the general opinion around the school year was that this guys mouth was gonna get him in bother, it really was a matter of who he was gonna piss off first, which made me feel a bit better.
    i will say, im not sure i would be so confident in the same (ie, being a kid) situ these days, i would be worried about being stabbed.

zokes
    Free Member

I managed to nullify him by not being afraid of him and being more intelligent than he was.

These days he gets his own back by overtaking whilst you’re in the ‘queue’

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Fight Back…… or not, what to do?’ is closed to new replies.