Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Superstar Wheels
  • markcdo
    Free Member

So, Superstar Wheels, any good then, any owners/ experiences/ comments welcome

cheers all.
    Mark

BoardinBob

XC430s

Been running them since January. Very strong, hubs still super smooth.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pulpo a la Gallega, anyone?

matt_outandabout

cheers cap’n

Tom83

Here we go again! Got a set of the stans wheel set offer last time round. Good price, crap build (on mine). Got them sorted out by lbs and now they’re spot on. Also got a pair of the cheap £100 wheels, Built well enough. 50/50 for me…

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

DH rims on whatever the normal hubs are. a few UK days DH before 1 week in morzine and very strange markings on the rim. perpendicular across the centre of the rim. 2cm long? No photos yet but will be putting some up and asking peoples thoughts before sending emails to superstar.

So far – Unsure.
    Mind you still true. I’ll give them that.

stevede
    Free Member

Hope they turn out to be ok, i’ve just ordered some switch xc430’s as they have just been reduced to £127.49 which for me is a bargain price (unless i get a bad set).

steezysix
    Free Member

Have had a set of DH rims on switch hubs for 2 years – use them pretty much every day commuting and off road as well – still running true and smooth. People have a lot of bad stuff to say about superstar and while their customer service might be complete poo, I’ve been pretty happy with the products.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’ve got some AM 490’s (? on the number) for a year and they have been less hassle than my hope hoops. Maybe I’ve been lucky. Good price tho!

hambl90
    Free Member

Got the Am 490 rims on the switch evo hubs , very happy with mine.

dekadanse
    Free Member

Got XC 430s on my Stumpie (that’s the one I bought instead of yours, Mark – sorry!) and boy, are they quick. Seem quite robust so far too, and very easy on the eye.

robhughes
    Free Member

dirtbiker100 …Good luck there bud.
    He hasn’t replied to 14 emails off me now about a replacement set of goosed seals..

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I think (and I have no imperical data bar what I’ve seen on here) you have the same percentage chance of getting a bad product as with any other importer, but a much higher chance of getting crap service if/when it goes wrong.

I personally won’t buy off him due to his attitude on here, his underhanded tactics slagging off other companies products under a pseudonym and his whole outlook on after sales care.

Very much in the “easyjet” mould of business if you ask me. Fine if it all goes ok, shite if something goes wrong.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I have their hand built wheels, Superleggera Ti hub (switch front I think), Sapim CX ray spokes, ZTR Apline rims. Been using them regularly in the Yorks Dales all summer. So far so good. I’ll probs save them for summer riding, so swap them for older wheels over the winter.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

aye robhughes – if it does come to it i’m hoping for the best but not expecting it…

toys19
    Free Member

I have two sets xc and am, both true and no bearing hassle after nearly 2 years. I could not say that about my hope hubs.

Janesy
    Free Member

B.A.nana – how heavy is that wheelset?

Cheers

Euro
    Free Member

Switch Enduro wheelset. Downhill use. No issues.

Twin
    Free Member

AM 490’s with the Slick hubs. Been using them since Xmas with no issues, and I’m a really heavy rider.
    Very happy.

yunki
    Free Member

the ‘superstar’ hubs are the same as Halo’s are they not…?

should be pretty reliable..

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Janesy, I’m not absolutely sure, they came set up with tubeless tyres, but I worked them out at approx 1370gms. They cost less than £400 iirc. The rear hub makes a lovely buzzing noise, although I could imagine it irritating a few peeps, it certainly turns heads. The pawl engagement is noticeably quick, which feels good.
    EDIT: Been and found the receipt they were
    Titantium Superleggera QR rear hub
    Superfast QR front hub
    Stans Alpine disc rims
    CX ray Sapim spokes
    £394.99

bigjim

I have the crests on switch evo’s, good hubs, bad build on rear though, which is common. Hubs are decent inside, pawl isn’t as good as a hope hub but sealing is better. I’d probably buy them again even though if you ever need any spares or aftersales support you are completely screwed with Superstar.

toys19
    Free Member

yunki – Member

the ‘superstar’ hubs are the same as Halo’s are they not…?

should be pretty reliable.

I have halo spin dr wheels, defo not the same as my superstar switch or tech hubs

philfive
    Free Member

I’m currently waiting to see if I get anywhere with superstar regarding a cracked freehub. It cracked under all 3 pawls. Other than that they have been good wheels.

Janesy
    Free Member

Thanks B.A.Nana! I’m interested in getting these wheels in a month or two.
    Weight seems very impressive.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have had the XC rims on switch hubs for ~ 6 months; 20mm on the front and 9m qr on the back. No issues so far.

markcdo
    Free Member

thanks for all the input folks, I’ll probably take a punt on a set of switch/430 and see what happens, I had no idea they’re after sales care was so poor/non-existent….
    Mark

Northwind

I’d consider it but budget for a rebuild if needed, because the build quality’s so variable- some I’ve seen have been ace, some awful. And yep, aftersales is terrible.

(a mate of mine bought the AM/Switch wheelset. After 2 rides round Glentress red on his XC bike the rear basically fell apart and the front was wandering out of true. So he sent them back, and SS said “For that sort of riding you need the downhill wheelset”. So to give them a little credit, they did replace the wheels free of charge with a DH set, which are holding up OK but had pretty uneven tension and were a little out of true from new.)

barbus
    Free Member

I bought a set of S/S wheels a while ago. Superleggra TI rear DT Swiss 350 rims Sapim CX Rays. Less than 1400 grames all in.

Mixed views for me, rear was incorrectly built, one spoke had been inserted from the wrong side causing a horrible spoke path. Fixed that myself easily enough. Spoke tension was very low on both wheels but again easily fixed.

Rear Bearings developed play within about six months, S/S couldn’t tell me the sizes I required but did send me a good A4 instructional. New bearings were easy to fit and cheap.
    I like the ‘buzz’ from the freewheel but if it gets on your nerves a small amount of grease makes it almost silent.

So, All in all If you don’t mind a bit of fettling then they are good value. If you want to fit and forget stay away.

mk1fan
    Free Member

even though if you ever need any spares or aftersales support you are completely screwed with Superstar.

Not at all. I sent an email last week about a broken spring in a 4-year old sinlgle speed tensioner. An hour and two e-mails later, two replacements were in the post.

Arrived whilst I was in Morzine – with some sweets to.

As for the wheels – I’ve got one of their single speed hubs that’s been great. Got my guy to build it up. Hubs been fine – jumped and generally abused on my ‘play’ HT.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Wheels’ is closed to new replies.