Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Superstar wheels
  • fozzyuk

Anyone got any care to review or give your thoughts. I know there are strong opinions on superstar but interested in people who have actually tried the wheels please as opposed to the pads ?

bone_idle
    Free Member

I have a set of the Vapour wheels and they are very good for the ££££, the hubs are excellent and have cartridge bearings so you can replace them much better than the Deore hubs you normaly get with wheels in this price range when the cups die the whole wheel finished as the hub needs replacing.They "look" similar in quality to the Hope Hubs. The freehub has a loud ratchet sound like the Hopes to. Anyway only time will tell but so far so good.

llamafarmer
    Free Member

I don't own any, but definitely considering some. They'll do you a custom build if you get in contact with them – the quote I got was great value!

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Looking at a pair of single speed wheel from them , so i`d be interested in any feedback

Northwind

Very tempted by the cheap-as-hell Enduros for the Hemlock, they're pretty weighty but they cost buttons so it's not as if it's a huge risk. Unless they collapse halfway down aonach mor and I'm gruesomely killed.

fozzyuk

Bearings are the main thing for me, 2nd hand good condition hopes a bit too much for me. My current ones are cheapo Shimano but I don't like cup and cone, and I'm not comfortable with paying more for a less cheap but still cup and cone…

Decisions, decisions.

Having said that it's the rims that are out of true on mine so perhaps I should look at Shimano.

fozzyuk

Surprised no arguments in favour of cup and cone, any other good servicible mid price hubs, price point just below a second hand pro 2?

Euro
    Free Member

A 'switch Enduro wheelset' landed in the post this morning. Should get to test them over the weekend, but first impressions are very good. Quality on a par with a set of Mavics on Pro IIs I had built up – but for the same price as the front wheel! The Voltage rims bare an uncanny likeness to the Sun Ringle EQ. Probably just as well, as I bought them for the DH machine.

Vortexracing

I loooked at some this weekend, but managed to grab a set of hope bulb wheels for not much more money.

If the hope ones had not been for sale I would have plumbed for a set, especially given they are only a ton for the Enduro ones.

The only thing I found on the tinterweb when trying to see if any reviews existed was a few people complaining anbout the free hub not lasting very long.

But superstar have new ones for £25, so I don't think you can go wrong for the money.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Yep, ordered their SS wheelset a couple of weeks ago. Paid a bit extra for black spokes. Hubs are very, very tidy and their beefy Vapour rims are OK. Not bad at all for the money. Very happy.

Only slight downside is they were not quite round. There was a definite cam shape to both wheels which I had to tweak out… 🙄

ButtonMoon

I have the 20mm front hub that I got in the sale for £20. I built it up and have been running it for the past 6months, very impressed!

The hub feels every bit as high quality as my pro 2 and the bearings are silky smooth. It's early days, but I'm happy to give mine a thumbs up.

RustyNissanPrairie
    ononeorange

Ordered a singlespeed rear a couple of weeks ago, waiting delivery, can't wait to try it / get the bike back up running again. Seems very good value indeed (from a cup and cone loather!).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Superstar wheels’ is closed to new replies.