Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • superstar rotors – seen this problem?
  • retro83
    Free Member

Anybody else damaged pads from them? I can’t see/feel any burrs on the rotor, but it also seems doubtful that a bit of grit would stay in the pads long enough to wear a 1 mm deep hole into a sintered pad.

The left pad also has similar marks but they are very light. They haven’t been rubbing, and have only done about 85 km so far.

Maybe it’s a conspiracy to make me buy more pads? 😆

kayak23

Not had any issues with my Superstar Rotors, sorry…

scaredypants

poorly fitted, I’m afraid

retro83
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member

poorly fitted, I’m afraid

What? It took me ages to find a rock which fitted those stupid little rotor bolts 🙁

blahblahblah
    Free Member

Is there potential for the rotor to have a slightly raised edge on one of the machined gaps in the disc? I would take the rotor off, inspect, lay on a flat surface and then go over the breaking surface with a sanding block. Once you are satisfied that there are no burrs, raised edges or anything else that might gouge a pad, refit.

bigyinn
    Free Member

At a guess one of the holes in the rotor’s braking surface has a burr which isn’t wearing away very quickly, but it is taking the pad surface off.
    Check your rotor ASAP for any raised edges.

Janesy
    Free Member

Its a poorly fitted caliper. not rotor. LOL how to you fit a rotor wrong……….. my god spellingz

retro83
    Free Member

Janesy – Member

Its a poorly fitted caliper. not rotor. LOL how to you fit a rotor wrong……….. my god spellingz

I don’t know – equally though, how could you fit a caliper incorrectly and cause this?

bigyinn – Member
    Check your rotor ASAP for any raised edges.

blahblahblah – Member
    I would take the rotor off, inspect, lay on a flat surface and then go over the breaking surface with a sanding block. Once you are satisfied that there are no burrs, raised edges or anything else that might gouge a pad, refit.

Cheers for the sanity check, I’ll have another look – couldn’t see any last nigjht tho.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’d say the incorrectly fitted caliper is BS. You would end up with uneven pad wear, not grooves in them.

tenfoot

I concur

Just out of interest retro83, were they noisy? I have SS sintered pads that make a racket.

Janesy
    Free Member

Ive had this before, it was because the caliper was’nt aligned with the rotor correctly. The caliper was ‘raised’ away from the rotor so the top of the rotor was rubbing the pads. The top of the rotor should be above the pads – ever so slightly.

I had it with Avid Elixers with ‘spacers'(like old V brake spacers) on the rear post mount. caliper was too high.
    Again – not making much sense as ive had a HARD day. Pretty knakered.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Mine were howling a bit last night, so they do make a bit of noise sometimes.

retro83
    Free Member

Haven’t had a chance to look at the rotor yet. Will post a pic if I find the cause!

tenfoot – Member
    I concur

Just out of interest retro83, were they noisy? I have SS sintered pads that make a racket.

Not at all, only time I’ve had that on sintered pads was after I used muc-off disk cleaner. Oh and once when they got really cold up on snowdon. Quite handy alerting walkers to your presence 😀

Janesy – Member
    Ive had this before, it was because the caliper was’nt aligned with the rotor correctly. The caliper was ‘raised’ away from the rotor so the top of the rotor was rubbing the pads. The top of the rotor should be above the pads – ever so slightly.

I had it with Avid Elixers with ‘spacers'(like old V brake spacers) on the rear post mount. caliper was too high.

Think i know the setup you mean. These are Shimano/Post mount, so other than alignment (which is bang on afaict) can’t see anything you could do wrong…Besides, it’s only on the right hand pad, and it’s a (number of) groove(s) in the middle of the pad!

pitduck
    Free Member

i`m with janesy 🙂

Northwind

Weird one tbh… That’s a big ol’ score, it should be very obvious to the touch what’s causing it, if it’s still there. Makes me wonder if you’re looking at something that happened fast, rather than a persistant scraping, but it doesn’t look that way. Examine rotor more closely.

Janesy – Member

You would see the same wear on both pads if that were the cause.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Assuming hte isc is ok, the only possible cause for that sort of wear pattern would be getting a bit of grit or something stuck in 1 side of the rotor vent hole and gouging out the friction material.
    Perhaps there was a burr which wore part of the friction material down but has since gone. It would take a while for the rest of the pad to wear down to the bottom of the groove. So perhaps the groove is historical and not recent?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘superstar rotors – seen this problem?’ is closed to new replies.