Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Superstar disc pads
  • GSI-MAN
    Free Member

Are superstar disc pads ok???
    What compound should i go for???
    I do x country riding.
    Thanks

joeegg
    Free Member

I've used the organic and had no problems with them.Last pretty well,reasonably good stopping power but mine have sometimes been a bit noisey.Trying Clarks next from CRC,similar price.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Got SS sintered, good as oem at quarter of the price

bawbag
    Free Member

I got the kevlar ones and they are great. Stopping power is good, not much squeal and still perform when extremely hot. They also seem to be wearing well

Tracker1972
    Free Member

No issues with their sintered apart from having to take a little off the edge of the backing plates to fit inside my Elixir calipers. Not enough of a hassle for me to get more expensive pads (and the same with Discobrakes pads). Fine in Deore and XTR.
    Edit-Deore pads in Tektro calipers.

crispybacon
    Free Member

being using them for four years + & I've had no probs.

Great value for money IMHO 😆

emac65
    Free Member

Discobrakes are around the same price & of a better quality imo & ime….i.e. – They aint as hit & miss as the SS ones…..

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I get the feeling that discobrakes and superstar are selling the same product. I fitted some discobrakes elixir pads for a friend that had the same problem of the backing plate being too wide. Also people were moaning about de-lamination of them about the same time.

emac65
    Free Member

I don't think they are for two reasons,
    1- I've never had the pad & backing plate come away on a disco one.
    2 – On my Louise rear brake the SS ones are too thick & have to be either used in the front first to wear them down a bit or sanded down to get them to fit.The Disco ones slot straight in….

mattp
    Free Member

never tried disco but have just started to use organic ss in elixirs. so far and in the dry they have been good, smooth and progressive. they have turned my reasonably worn rotors to a mirror finish too [not that that is any reason to choose/use them]

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Fair enough Emac.. I've never bought SS ones, just DB.
    Did you buy them both around the same time though?

BMC09
    Free Member

have had them in my brakes for a while (sinterd) not had a problem with them yet…
    may give kevlar a go as they can be noisy at first..

hamishthecat
    Free Member

How times change… 🙄

emac65
    Free Member

I've been using both across 6 bikes(mine & my two lads) on & off for a few years now.Normally bulk buy & have found SS ones either to be all fine or all complete sh!te.Disco pads have only ever let me down once & then it was only one pad.
    The problems with the SS ones only seems to happen when it's a really wet ride…..

Northwind

Big fan of the kevlar ones in my XTs, they don't do anything interesting though, they just work better than OEM XT pads at a fraction of the price. Same goes for the sintered for that matter. Though the thickness of the paint on teh kevlar ones did mean they didn't fit properly, and had to have a little paint chased off with a file, which is irritating and unneccesary but took 5 seconds so I don't mind.

Disco don't sell the same pads, at least, the Disco XT sintered pads I had were visibly different to the SS ones, and didn't provide the power either. Though they did seem to last a little longer, but I only went through one set on each end which isn't really enough to judge wear.

As far as delaminating, I've had EBC and Shimano pads delaminate, and one of the sets of Discos was always shedding little chunks, though nothing major. Never had a SS set do it but I'd not be too surprised or horrified if they did, as far as I can tell it's just something that pads sometimes do.

Drac

Not had a bit of bother with mine been excellent and lasted ages. Still have 2 pacs left over from when I did a multi pack buy almost 18 months ago.

Jellybaby
    Free Member

Just bought some kevlar ones as spares for our Wales trip in couple of weeks. Recommendation by friends and havn't heard any bad comments. Should be fine for x country riding.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Superstar disc pads’ is closed to new replies.