Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • Superstar Components – mega thumbs down
  • discapade
    Free Member

Yep agreed, but they are the go to company for ‘cheap’ parts. In my personal experience, there stuff is pretty good..!

v8ninety

Two wheel sets and all my brake pads from them. Got to be 3-4 years ago now. No problems at all.

duckman

How on earth is a chap to properly colour coordinate his dandy chariot without superstar? Not had any problems with their kit and as said the pad issue was a fair old while ago.

andyrm
    Free Member

Over the years I’ve had:

– 3 wheelsets on 3 different big travel bikes
    – bars and stems
    – grips
    – hose kits
    – rotors
    – brake pads
    – chain devices

The only issue I have ever had was a Tesla freehub which went just inside 2 years after very hard use. This was a pretty well documented problem (with some unnecessary hysteria on this forum in particular) – a polite email exchange where I sent photos and asked for help (no mention of SOGA, “not fit for purpose” or other bullshit, just human decency asking for help) and it was sorted with a rebuild on a Tesla Evo and brand new spokes.

Their new catalogue has an infographic detailing the pretty staggering number of units they sell – occasional errors or failures are a statistical inevitability. Definitely not worth an online rant.

kayla1
    Free Member

Not worth an online rant? How very dare you. You’ll be expecting one human being to deal with another human being in a calm and polite manner next, will you? Eh? Bloody hippy pinkos…

michaelbowden

Well just to finish things off.

Replacement grips ordered about 2.30 Friday. Delivered FOC sat before 10.30. Correct and as ordered.

timmys

You can debate all day and night about the quality of the products but the fact is the guy is dishonest and lies to his customers. Your mileage may vary but I’m out.

matt_outandabout

^timmys hits the nail on the head. Same for me. Add on top some questionable quality at times, and they are ‘on the list’ along with nPower, Talk Talk and that car garage in Retford.

ThePinkster

Oh – and they delete bad reviews from their site.

Any evidence of this? From what I can see in the reviews here and against other items there are bad as well as good.

nach
    Free Member

A bad review I left over a year ago is still up (I’ve had some good things from Superstar in the past, but not QRs and only 3 of 4 brake pads I stocked up on were usable).

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

They are, by some considerable margin, the worst company (bike or otherwise) that I have had the mispleasure of dealing with, peddling poor quality dross with horrendous customer service when it goes wrong, and perfectly happy to accuse you of lying about how their substandard products came to break.

Wrong company? Surely this is referring to Dave Hinde?

ajantom

To counter the OP – I bought a NW ring a few months back. Finish is excellent, no obvious burrs, and it seems to run smoother than the Works Components one it replaced. No dropped chain yet, so obviously machine well too.

So maybe their QC is not great, but I’m happy enough with them.

rsl1
    Free Member

IME they are good as long as the product you buy keeps working – got me into biking on a budget but since things have started breaking I am fed up with the curt single sentenced replies to my attempts to sort things out.
    If you have the money it is definitely worth going elsewhere, I certainly am

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Surely this is referring to Dave Hinde?

It’s the same business model as DH; and keeps going for the same reason.

So long as price trumps everything else there will be a Superstar/DH

kerley
    Free Member

Didn’t realise Dave Hinde were still going. I had hassle with them 14 years ago and they had a pretty bad reputation then (discovered afterwards, not such busy internet etc,.)
    I suppose it is the same as people buying stuff from an eBay person with loads of negative feedback.
    “It won’t happen to me attitude” I suppose.

hora
    Free Member

Whoa there. Seriously. Don’t even say Dave Hinde and SS in the same vein.

I had the pleasure of buying something from Dave Hinde. I’ve shopped numerous times with fruit and although I don’t like the Tactic rim at all- I’d class the products as existing, turning up very quick and zero contact needed as all info is there.

None of these conditions were present when I dealt with Dave Hinde. Thankfully he/no one at his shop threatened me. I’m always gobsmacked when someone threatens me.

hillsplease

For me – stuff with no bearings in good, stuff with bearings in not for me. Apparently I fitted the BB wrong and 6 rides later it was toast. The next one at cost failed after 3 months, but it was winter.

Still using Superstar, must be 10 years on and will continue to do so.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Servicing instructions for their Delta pedals would be useful, saying as it is necessary every 6 months in my experience.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

but the fact is the guy is dishonest and lies to his customers. Your mileage may vary but I’m out.

Apply the same logic to most of the big/establishment companies as well and you’d have to resort to making your own components!

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

I got the impression that superstar didn’t want new custom when trying to order a set of wheels over the telephone, hence why I never did follow through…

By sounds of it, if I did go though with order, and my wheels collapsed, I certainly would follow through 😆

scandal42
    Free Member

What was the issue with the Tactic rims Hora? I’ve had a set recently and they seem spot on.

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Components – mega thumbs down’ is closed to new replies.