Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Superglue on my glasses lens,Help.
  • monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

It’s left a few marks.Any ideas on trying to get rid of the marks.Cheers in advance.

legend
    Free Member

marks as in scratches/digs, or marks as in little bits of glue left over?

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Dried in glue and some light scratches.

legend
    Free Member

acetone eats the superglue, you might be a bit buggered with the scratches though unless you get hold of something like liquid diamond or jewlers rouge (very fine polishes)

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Cheers,your a legend to me.

coatesy
    Free Member

Acetone also causes plasticiser migration from polycarbonates, which may result in them losing their impact resistance(memories of Lexan chassis on R/C cars shattering when crashed). I knew somebody who used Natsil silicone release agent to unglue fingers he’d stuck together with superglue regularly, probably won’t harm the lens.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

I ‘d be very careful putting Acetone on my glasses, the plastic of the lens is very likely to get damaged. Super glue remover usually contains acteone.

legend
    Free Member

^ good points, strangley I assumed we were talking about glasses made out of glass 🙄

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Soak in warm water. It might be a long job.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

seen acetone completely cloud perspex if that’s any help

wild9
    Free Member

Superglue is water soluble, as slowoldgit says just leave them in some water for a day or so and the glue should just wipe off with a cloth.

jkomo

Superglue remover and acetone are both fine on all but polycarbonate lenses.
    It is very unlikely the lenses are polycarb, unless they are rimless.
    Phone your optician and ask.
    The lenses can’t be polished out, it will alter the rx, and cause distortion.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Superglue on my glasses lens,Help.’ is closed to new replies.