Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Super Star Componants who else like them
  • DT78
    Free Member

Ok –

nano pedals – fantastic
    chain devices – great
    quick releases – great
    pads – great
    foam grips – great
    lockons – ok
    bottom bracker – 2 rides, not collapsed yet
    crest/evo wheelset – basically fell apart after 2 rides due to shocking build and I had to rebuild, ok now but have a flat spot

I will buy from them again but not a wheelset

bigjim

If its any consolation, out of 5 wheels from Merlin, two have seriously lost tension too, so there isn’t much in it based on that. I’d buy the wheels again, based on the price.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

I got a super cheap Subzero XC/AM Wheelset (£90 iirc) last autumn as a set to use during the winter, they’ve held up fine and haven’t needed any more care than other cheap wheels.

The antics on this forum did put me off but the price made it worth a punt I felt

saladdodger
    Free Member

I can’t. I’m a complete idiot and simply too stupid to comprehend anything really I’m afraid.

elf please do not beat yourself at least you accept your faults 😉

TJ ancient proverb says ” wise man speaks because he has something wise to say, and idiot just speaks”

liggster
    Free Member

I have one of their chain devices…. Its great!! 😀

jonb
    Free Member

Recent pads have been good and headsets are going strong after a few years.

orangefive
    Free Member

Only good comments here, bought plenty!

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve got various (mostly smaller) bits from them. Can’t fault them for brake pads, grips, etc. A lot of it is obviously aimed at MBUK readers though (ugly/tacky).

Like many, my wheelset from them was pretty poorly built, but v.cheap. I guess the moral of that is to avoid stuff they’ve actually had a hand in, unless you know what you’re doing.

captain-slow
    Free Member

used pads for some years and no probs

bottom bracket (aerozine skf) is best I have had in ten years on three bikes

would buy both again without hesitation and probably other stuff, although might be nervous about more expensive items, but that is about mail order generally…

ciderinsport
    Free Member

I have loads of their stuff, I had an engagement ring go on my ss rear hub – they replaced it – it now works, no cost to me!

Edit – Should just point out it was very very very well used and I offered to pay!!

I think they are as good as any small bike shop – just a big chunk cheaper, and not on my doorstep! (although, I have never got any sweets from my LBS 😉 )

Sonor
    Free Member

Elf – just read the thread, count the number of folk who own faultless wheels and the number who own faulty wheels.

Just like to add that the rear wheel I bought off them has given me no grief whatsoever.

Divagirl
    Free Member

I have some very pretty black nano pedals with gold pins for my new bike 🙂 Not tried them yet as I fell off a couple of weeks ago (different pedals!) and can’t ride yet. They sure look purty tho 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

bottom bracket (aerozine skf) is best I have had in ten years on three bikes

I feel there has to be a quality control issue there, as mine has lasted 12 rides before it has seized, and now I’ve come to remove it from the frame, the stupidly shallow indents in the soft monkey metal, have rounded out! I’m gonna have to remove the bloody thing with a pipe wrench now…

robsoctane
    Free Member

Hi all,

a very quick line I heard a while ago… ‘sell a good product & the buyer may tell one about the experience, sell one that’s not so good & the buyer will tell everyone they know’ on the internet that can be a lot of folk.

I have bought Kevlar pads: mint
    sintered pads: mint
    XCR device: got an email saying it was dispatched yesterday, today I got an email saying it’s out of stock? Hmmm. Dave at Tibolts is a nice chap & helps how he can.

I think that we should all support Superstar, they’re one of those companies that should get praise for; dare I say it… keeping it real?

stay safe everyone. 😉

el_boufador

Pads great
    BB OK
    Rims great
    Front Hub great
    Rear hub slightly ropey (superleggera – bearings getting a bit noisy, a bit too early)
    Wheel build great

Sertainly no worse than the more expensive kit from other places, so I’ll continue to buy their stuff.

takisawa2

Bottom bracket was poor, it seized solid after a wet ride. But had plenty of stuff since & its been spot on. Likewise the delivery & the one occasion I needed an order sorting out after I’d stuffed it up.

flicker
    Free Member

Brake pads
    Rotors
    Grips
    Headset
    9mm front QR
    10mm rear QR
    crest/switch evo wheelset

All been spot on. The wheelset has been on the bike for six months, done over 2000 miles now (I have the luxury of an 8 mile off road commute, I love going to work 😀 ) they’ve been battered round trail centres, jumped, dropped etc. still true, never had to touch them.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I’ve had very good experiences with them.

Brake pads and pedals excellent.

BB OK

Tools good for the money – they are ridiculously cheap, so I wasn’t expecting Park quality.

Had good customer service when needed as well.

GW
    Free Member

The rule with Superstar seems to be don’t buy anything with bearings in, they will die very quickly!

having never been one to adhere to rules let me tell you their ISIS BBs is easily the best I’ve ever used, Race Face/FSA last no time (on DH bikes) before they’d have play in them, the Superstar one is solid and spun freely for a few years now (on a mini DH bike)

Haven’t used much else Superstar sell other than:

nanos – great shape/weight/price pedals albeit at the expense of slightly weaker axles than I’d like (they do have strong cage/bodies tho and replacement axles cost little and take minutes to switch over). Got HTs too which were even cheaper.

disc pads – no complaints with their various Sintered pads. been using them for years (pre, during and after the STW “OMG you wil die if you use SS pads era”). their Avid springs need bending to shape tho (common fault with many aftermarket pads)

scraprider
    Free Member

been using them for the past 4 years , with no probs at all ,use there pads no probs, looking at a few more bits and bobs, i have mavic rims on my orange they are always going out of true,so it dose happen to other brands.

stevemtb
    Free Member

I’ve got a DH wheelset and the Flows on Switch wheelset. Maybe been out half a dozen times on the Flows and they seem to be spot on still. DH has been seriously underused so only been out once or twice but took a whole uplift day with no problems and I’m no lightweight.

Been a few little things that I thought could have been dealt with better on the customer service side, but no real complaints so far about the wheels, pads, grips, pedals or other bits and pieces I’ve bought from them.

Will keep buying from them and keep fingers crossed not to have to return something to really try out the customer service.

oldfart

Andy i guess the component you really want them to make is an MTB air bag !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😆

hora
    Free Member

saladdodger, I may be wrong but I thought you were linked to superstar from a post/topic a year or two back. At the very least you posted a similar ‘discussion’ fella.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Na not linked in the slighTest Just get miffed by the er loud folk who bad mouth em

I just give em a break

Mind you I do have a gripe bloody Haribo’s come in too small a packet

OF they send padded bags which I put to good use it is not the dreaded spread

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Super Star Componants who else like them’ is closed to new replies.