• This topic has 26 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by jruk.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Sun Ringle Blackflag wheels
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Anyone using them, they are on offer at Chain reaction, just wondering if anyone using them with tubes?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

were on a better offer @ CRC a couple of months ago (try forum search for PSA and discussion thread), concensus seemed to be nice but with very poorly sealed hubs/bearings.

Shorty121
    Free Member

I got some in the Christmas sale at %50 off and the bearings seem to be holding up well

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jruk
    Free Member

I’ve had my experts for two months and have been impressed apart from having to replace the front bearings already.

raisinhat
    Free Member

I’ve had mine since December, and the bearing are running as smoothly as when I bought them, but if you take the end caps off, the bearings are fairly open, so I can understand if they get worn quickly in really mucky weather.

I’ve got mine tubeless, but even when I did have tubes in they still felt like a wonderfully stiff and light wheelset. There isn’t a huge amount of engagement compared to something like chris king hubs, but it hasn’t bothered me, it’s fine for everyday riding. The straight pull spokes might potentially be a little harder to find and/or true, but they’ve been flawless so far, no noises or movement in the slightest.

Considering the 50% off deal, that was crazy good value for them.

scruff
    Free Member

I had 2011 experts, the freewheel / axle flexed and the teeth dug into the body making a horrible noise. CRC forwarded the problem to Hotlines who didnt get back to me. Some searching shows its not an isolated incident and a guy off here had same problem. Sun Ringle USA were really helpful but couldnt offer a fix, apparently the 2012 are better and can be upgraded to a thruaxle.

Ended up getting full refund from CRC. Shame as I liked the quiet freehub, they went tubeless really easy and were a good wide stiffish rim. Back on noisy Hopes / Flows now.

raisinhat
    Free Member

The 2012 freehub is not particularly quiet, not quite as loud as a hope, but almost. I like it, but it might put some people off. The 2012 ones also can be changed to a thru-axle, so they no longer have the flexing problem even with a 9mm skewer. Mine went up no problem with a trackpump and the right tires for tubeless.

theblackmount
    Free Member

IME SR rear hubs are cack / not up to UK riding conditions. CRC were very good with warranty but save yourself the bother and get Hope / similar.

>I’ve had my experts for two months and have been impressed apart from having to replace the front bearings already.<

Contradiction in terms – how can anyone possibly be impressed by a wheel that gives 2 months out of set of hub bearings?

Interweb’s awash with SR complaints – spend the extra £££ and get something that will work / last.

DickBarton

The freehub body is 180 quid to rewplace apparently…which is a shame as mine is scored on my black flag pros…seem to be very good though, no issues with mine other than that hidden cosmetic issue.

jruk
    Free Member

theblackmount – that’s why I said ‘apart from’, as in ‘not impressed by that bit’, kinda obvious I thought but hey ho.

I’ve emailed CRC and Hotlines asking them about replacement parts for the rear but not had a response as yet. When/if I get one I’ll post it on here just in case.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

The freehub body is 180 quid

lol

theblackmount
    Free Member

Yeah I got that jruk but then they are the only moving parts in a front hub;-) I had exactly the same problem with SR Jumping Flea so I can only conclude that the sealing in their hubs is crap and or they fit cheapo bearings. At least you can deal with the front for a modest outlay – I’ve had 18 months out of the BETD replacement bearings I installed.

On the JF rear Hub (and on the BF it would appear) you have to throw away the Freehub when the inner bearing packs in – it’s a needle roller bearing which is swaged in / not user serviceable. That bearing needs very regular cleaning and greasing – none of which is indicated in any service instructions on the SR website. In fact there were no service instructions provided with the Hubs either. And even if there were, having to replace an entire Freehub to the tune of £180 for one wee bearing is frankly taking the p1ss.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Reading this with interest, since I’m running a set I got in the 50% deal a while back. No Problems so far, but I’ve really only been running them for about a month since I finished my build.

If the back blows, I’ll probably just rebuild them with a pro2. I like the rims, they’re the right combination of weight a strength.

Taff
    Free Member

I’m running the pro’s. Seem to be holding up really well. Just moved them over to the new bike. Nice and light and comes ready to run tubeless. Was more of a bargain when I was hunting for them – Chrimbo Post

theblackmount
    Free Member

I had two Freehubs blow on me under warranty and it was CRC in fact who stuck a Hope Pro on at their cost.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Been running mine for only a couple of rides so far. Front seems a little flexy when pushed hard into corners but appart form that, so far so good. I put some additional grease in the freehub to quieten down the clicky noise. Early days yet but for the price I paid, happy to consider them semi disposable. Using tubes but will be mounting tubeless soon.

Shorty121
    Free Member

PaulGillespie – How did you get into the freehub?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

How did you find mounting tubed tyres on the rims?

Kryton57

I got mine 50% at CRC too.

No faults so far, using Tube Nobby Nics with Stans. The bearings are cartridge bearings anyway so if / when the fail, the can be popped out / in with a (superior if necessary) replacement.

I agree the bearings look exposed without the converters in, but I used the 15mm converters that has an O ring on. The pushed on with much more tightness / difficulty than my prior Hope pro 2’s so I’d hope the sealing would be as good / better.

FWIW, 6 months use once a week on average through the winter and no issues from either end so far.

I paid £175 for mine so if they lasted only a year I’d be a bit peeved, but not head bangingly so….

Taff
    Free Member

No problems with tubed tyres

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Aye, fine with tubes.

Can’t remember how I got the free hub off…. I seem to remember having to pull the end caps off somehow and then just pulling the free hub off…sorry, not much help. I figured it our in about 2 minutes so it can’t be that hard 🙂

raisinhat
    Free Member

Hijacking the thread a little bit, has anyone put a 20mm adapter onto the front hub? I bashed the spacer in on top as best as I could, but both sides are still loose, with a fair bit of play. Do I just need a better fitting socket to get it pushed in further, or is this normal?

matt_geordie
    Free Member

Mine sit loose like that but with a bit of grease on the bearings and on the ‘o’ring of the 20mm adaptor it holds them in place when the wheel is off the bike. Does up just as well as my old Hope Bulbs when on the forks.

monogramman
    Free Member

I will have had mine for 12 months next month, I have only tweaked them once to straighten them out a tiny bit. The bearings still run smooth as silk.

They seat tubeless very easily with a bit of washing up liquid and a track pump.

Taff
    Free Member

Came back from today’s ride and have now got play in the axle!! Tempted fate by saying all was well.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Just set mine up tubeless for the first time ever. Dead easy. Using conti x-kings 2.2 protections and a track pump. I also noticed quite a lot of grease had oozed out of the freehub, I must have put a bit too much in!

jruk
    Free Member

Been meaning to post this for a few days…

I contacted Hotlines and had a response within a couple of hours. Really helpful, confirmed bearing numbers and that the rears can be replaced without replacing the freehub. Was told that they need to go back to have the freehub removed so will be interested to know how PG got his off – will have to go and try it for myself…Hotlines can replace / service the rear and send it back for £40.

If anyone’s after bearings (of any type), speak to http://www.thebearingshop.co.uk/ and they’ll sort you out – they can get composite bearings for great prices if you order them in.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Sun Ringle Blackflag wheels’ is closed to new replies.