Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • New wheels
  • Taff
    Free Member

I’m on the lookout for some new wheels and am after the guidance from the oracles! Currently running 717 discs and love them for their strength and weight. Don’t really know what alternatives to use as always used 717s or their predecessors. So… I’m after something new, don’t mind if they are 717s or something similar but don’t know what’s good outside of the Mavic bubble. IN terms of hubs I wanted them to be sealed, 6 bolt and QR.

So far the best deals I’ve come across are:

On-One Wheelset – don’t know the weight or any other details.

Switch Hubs & 717 rims

Alex rims & Switch hubs same as above really, just slightly different rims.

Stans rims & Switch hubs – OK, don’t know much about tubleless but I hear it’s going to be popular!!

If anyone else can suggest anything else or has any views on the above then I would be grateful.

Thankyou please.

RealMan
    Free Member

Stans rims of your choice on pro II is the standard wheelset of choice. Might be above your budget though, how much you want to spend?

Taff
    Free Member

circa £200. You’re right I can’t afford hope/stans although. My front 717/hope xc is mint so there is potnetial to sell it for decent money afterwards or just get a rear but I still think £190 for a single rear wheel is expensive!

Taff
    Free Member

I think I may be swaying towards the Stans Crest and Switch combo. Bit more than my budget but I reckon selling my hope xc/717 which is in good condition should claw some money back. Got a ropey old rear XT hub and 717 which could sell for paenuts but may keep me (back in) in her good books!

djflexure

Just ordered these for the wife. Look like they are worth a punt for 180. Include stans rim tape and valves.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=63318

HarveyStedham
    Free Member

I take it you are after fairly light xc wheelset?

I would normally recomened the hope stans combo also, but as you cant stretch that far then out of that list i would choose the switch/stans wheels. You can also then go tubeless, which is a bit of faff to set up but well worth it once done.

Othrwise on crc there is this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=63318

Seem to have a stans licensed rim design so should go tubeless fine too.

Onzadog
    Free Member

What brakes are you running? I’m selling some hope bulb hubs with flow rims for £125. They are the 5 bolt pattern but hope still custom cut rotors.

Taff
    Free Member

I like the looks of the Ringle wheels. Look like better value than the switch/stans but then you are getting authentic stans I suppose. I need to google tubeless set ups. No idea how they work…

Taff
    Free Member

24 holes? How strong would that be? Only ever had 36 or 32.

Nobby

Never had a problem with my 24 spoked wheels.

those black flags look proper good value.

HarveyStedham
    Free Member

my mate has never had any problem with his 24 spoke crossrides (at least i think they 24…) on his hardtail.

I have had no issues on my 24 s hope pro 3/355 altho i only weigh about 10stone. I chose to run a rear 32 as i have a stupidly stiff hardtail, but im sure i would have got away with the 24 also.

Taff
    Free Member

Wicked. Bit of comfort there. Im’ only just over 10stone myself and not normally a harsh rider so should be ok.

Edit: I may have recently put some weight on.. almost 11 stone! 😯

Taff
    Free Member

I’m getting conufsed about what’s actually required. Can these be run with a normal tube as well? It comes with some gunk and valves so what else would I need for a tubeless set up?

djflexure

Yes you can run with tubes as per normal.
    Otherwise a UST or LUST tyre may be required.

Many ‘normal’ tyres can apparently also run tubeless.

Low vol tyres (up to 2.3 or so) seem to inflate easily with a track pump.

I have had to use CO2 for bigger tyres but have now dumped tubeless on my bigger bike.

Tubeless works fine on XC bike and helps protect against thorns on the local routes I do.

stayhigh

those black flag wheels do look a right good bargain, shae about the gold hubs and nipples though, has put me right off 🙁

Taff
    Free Member

Hadn’t noticed the gold hubs. Not sure that fits in with my clour regime but I’m tempted to say sod it…

dh
    Free Member

these might be ok – maybe a bit heavy?

linky

Northwind

Sorely tempted by the 29er Blackflags myself, stunning value… Can’t say I’m blown over by Ringle hubs though.

Taff
    Free Member

Dh – I did look at those but at that width they can’t be far off my old D321s so some of my skinny tyres would be no good. Still really good value for money though.

North wind – at that price I think it’s worth the risk. A blind man would be pleased to see them!

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of Black Flag Pro’s and have been very impressed with them.

Spin a fair bit longer than my Pro2’s if you set them spinning and time them.

At £180 that’s a steal for decent wheels complete with the yellow tape, valves and sealant to convert tubeless. It doesn’t say so in the description but they come with QR, 15mm and 20mm adapters too I think.

Taff
    Free Member

Hi Neninja, With the good reviews on here and on the net I found it rude not to buy them. I don’t think they will quite go with my colour scheme but never mind 🙄

Just need to find some tubeless tyres now.

I will apologise in advance though as I think I will be bugging you all about fitting the tyres as I have no idea at the moment despite a 30minute conversation with my brother in law!

neninja
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about the colour, gold hubs will just look a bit flashy.

I’ve set up 7 sets of Stans rims tubeless (5 for myself and 2 for mates) and all have been with regular tyres and not tubeless specific or UST tyres.

Not had any problems with any of them so if you like the tyres you have (look like Fire Pro) just use them.

Taff
    Free Member

My rear is nailed anyway so that will get changed hopefully ready for the STW new years ride. I’ve heard about regular tyres being used. Will try it out and see how it goes. Many thanks.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Review: Sun-Ringle Black Flag Pro 29er Wheels, Plus Originals

Looks like they do come with the adaptors.

Just changed canceled my order with super star and put an order in for these

Taff
    Free Member

you get adapters for the front wheel but the rear wheel adapters need to be bought, think one of the reviews said 8.99

Shorty121
    Free Member

Yeah I read that aswell.

stayhigh

The Chargers look a bit better, not entirely convinced by the graphics but they can always be peeled off.

Not sure theres much of a weight saving between them and the Crossride I currently have on though but do have the advantage of being tubeless ready.

Hmmm, goes off to ponder…

kamina
    Free Member

The black flags look like they’d suit me well for a light second wheelset, but I’m worried about the proprietary rims. What happens when you taco one? Will they send you a new one or do you have to send the wheel in? What about spokes? Can you order spares? Looking at Mavics I can immediately find spares (atleast for the deemax) online, but nothing on these…

Shorty121
    Free Member

Yeah the spares is the bit I am only worried about

stayhigh

Its a good point with the spares, who does the UK distribution for Sun? I would have thought though any problems with them they would go back to CRC?

Taff
    Free Member

who does the UK distribution for Sun

Hotlines I think.

Don’t go giving me negatives now… far too late

stayhigh

hmmm dont Hotlines have a less then speedy reputation?

Shorty121
    Free Member

Taff – I’m thinking the same as I ordered a set aswell

Taff
    Free Member

I’ve been running the same wheels for eyars, never pringled, broken a spoke or gone too far out of true. Mates have had Mavics and local shops have had to order stuff in which has taken a few weeks. I’ll run the risk. I have a years warranty with CRC so I’m happy

Shorty121
    Free Member

Ah you mean you already have that set of wheels?

Taff
    Free Member

No, been running a ropey set of 717s since forever without issues. Also used to ride my dh course on them back in the day when I had a DH bike

Shorty121
    Free Member

Alright you ordered the wheels from sun?

stayhigh

Ok here is where its at for me.

I’d like tubeless wheels as I’m sick of punctures & the faff of using a kit. I currently have 08 crossrides on my heckler & my riding is mainly local trails with a couple of trips to Wales thrown in. I’m not really into big jumps & the like but have the odd little one now & then.

The BRP’s look a great deal and would help bring the bikes weight down. Would they be upto my riding and can I live with those gold hubs?

The Chargers on the other hand don’t save a lot of weight but would be a bit more robust given the extra heft.

takisawa2

That garden is way too neat for STW.

Shorty121
    Free Member

If they have 20mm axle adaptors then surely they are designed for taking a bit more punishment

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘New wheels’ is closed to new replies.