• This topic has 24 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Summer Monkey
  • adsh
    Free Member

Anyone doing this on Sunday?

It’s been a while since I’ve ridden at Ceasars Camp – how does it compare to Windmill Hill.

Looks like the dust might get dampened between now and then 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

Yes I’m going along, was considering the 4 or 6 hour, but it was only fleeting, so 2 hours it is!

Caesar’s Camp does actually have some hills in – a couple of the Brass Monkeys there have been pretty tough.

Yak

Very good venue and hilly too. Only been there for AYTE and brass monkeys and really like it. Probably definitely not riding on sunday due to a chest infection, but will be there supporting a couple of riders/ snoozing in the sun.

slowjo
    Free Member

Entered the 6 hour but can’t do it. Some ‘family commitments’ (read massive ‘clan gathering’) seem to have manifested themselves. Originally, scheduled for Saturday, at the last minute they have been moved to Sunday.

Boo

weeksy

I was considering it… but worried now my gearing won’t be up for it on the FS Spearfish, not sure I fancy the HT

benji
    Free Member

I’ll be there, i’m going in fat so it’s 3 hours for me 🙂

Be a nice little warm up for Mayhem.

njee20
    Free Member

Very good venue and hilly too. Only been there for AYTE and brass monkeys and really like it.

AYTE was Windmill Hill shirley?

Stiggy

I’m gonna be there, fat too 😀

pete68
    Free Member

Considering doing the 6 hour. Haven’t ridden the mtb for ages though. Will to dust it first! Shame there’s no entry on the day. Don’t understand why not when there is for the gorrick 100.

weeksy

I thought it said “as it’s a summer event there’s entry on the day” on the webpage the other day.

pete68
    Free Member

My mistake. Your absolutely right weeksy. Entry on the day is available.

Yak

njee20 – yes I had it wrong for AYTE. Frith Hill was the last one I did in 2013.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

And just announced on Gorrick’s FB feed that it will be Frith Hill this year, due to issues with Caesar’s Camp.

c_klein87

which ones frith hill? was looking forward to some climbs, only chance i’ll keep up! 4hr for me, no legs for 6hr with current triathlon training

ahhh same venue as last gorrick spring series and AYTE, not a bad venue

offthebrakes
    Free Member

No big climbs there but some short steep ones, much like PorridgePot across the road (although less rooty).

I like Frith, but going to be spending Saturday moving house instead of resting up, so 6hrs of suffering for me. I’ll pretend I’m just treating it as training 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Would’ve preferred the bigger hills at Caesar’s too, shame!

Yak

I did the 2hr in the end, despite saying I wouldn’t above. I didn’t have much oomph, but loved the course and happy to just be riding. Well done Gorrick on another great race.

njee20
    Free Member

Course of two halves, wasn’t sure about the second half on lap 1, but enjoyed it on successive ones. Considering the late venue change they’d done a great job!

Edit: just looking through the results, surprised at field sizes, thought they’d get more!

adsh
    Free Member

Felt like a WC venue – arms hurt more than my legs! . I gave up going for the 10th lap with 20minutes to go – could barely hold the bars. 9 laps in 6hr 58s gave me 3rd in the 6hr Vets. An extra lap would have been 2nd but I’d still be there now – nothing left in the tank at all!

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Yes my pipecleaner arms hurt more than my legs, just like they did at Gorrick 100. 6 hours is a beating on bumpy roots, loved the course though!

An extra lap would have been 2nd but I’d still be there now – nothing left in the tank at all!

Lucky for me that you just missed going out, it was me in 2nd and I punctured about a quarter of the way round lap 10. Couldn’t get it to re-seal and spare tube and repair kit were back in the pits.

Dispiriting trudge back to the arena wondering if I was going to hold onto a podium spot or not. As it turned out the puncture cost me nothing as no-one else had made a 10th lap, and the leader was 8 mins up the road so realistically I wouldn’t have got close even though I started to feel strong again on the last lap!

adsh
    Free Member

You deserved it – I’d only have caught you by virtue of the puncture. I was a tiny bit disappointed to work so hard to hit the cut off and give up 20minutes from the end. I need to work on mental toughness when empty. 6hrs average 85% or Z4.2.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

It’s certainly hard to cultivate that mental toughness, one of the hardest parts of endurance racing!

When I started to struggle on lap 8 I began to try and work out whether I was really going to have to do 10 laps as originally thought, or whether I might be slowing down enough that I’d just miss the cut-off. I figured out that it would be close, and started thinking about not trying too hard on lap 9 – was a real battle inside my brain to convince myself to keep pushing to get in a 10th lap!

Then towards the end of lap 8 I remembered that we hadn’t actually started at 9am, but more like 9:07, so in fact I was clearly going to have to do a 10th! Lap 9 was a bit of a grim death march but as soon as I started lap 10 it was head down and empty the tank – often happens that the final lap is quite good fun as you don’t have to hold back any more.

Obviously 10 minutes later the tyre went bang and that was that, but hey…

njee – you were very consistent!

benji
    Free Member

Really liked the course, heard a few comments about drawing pins on the course! Finished 4th in the fast bikes so please with that despite a silly tumble, but no harm done. Nice warm up for mayhem.

rexated
    Free Member

Yeah, good course despite the lack of climbing involved. Pretty constant effort …if you weren’t pedalling you had to be throwing the bike about through the turns…so it got quite physical for me. Just been out for a recovery ride and my feet and arms hurt more than my legs!
    Chuffed with 3rd in the Vet 4 hour. Respect to those of you doing 6 hours…that loamy traverse before the left onto the fireroad climb was becoming something of a chore after 6 laps – really didn’t fancy any more laps!

kilo

From what I saw of the course it was really good but managed to fall after 4.5 miles, hit a hole or something on a grassy descent, got spat over the bars and knackered my ribs, four pints of GFB in the evening didn’t seem to cure it so I am in reasonable pain now. 🙁

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Summer Monkey’ is closed to new replies.