Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Suggest me two day Highland cycle touring route
  • matt_outandabout

Mainly road, possibly light off-road, accessible by public transport if possible, easy to moderate difficulty. For hybrids, experienced tourers.

For a couple of friends who are looking….

scotroutes

Loop of the Cairngorms starting at Pitlochry. Anti-clockwise I reckon. Only Glenshee and the Lecht to contend with 😉

Stirling to Callander then NCN7 to Pitlochry.

Fort William to Inverness on NCN78.

Oban – Mull – Ardgour/Moidart then train back to Fort William

So many choices…

fasthaggis

Fort William – Fort Augustus – Laggan via the Corrieyairack ( you could do it on a hybrid).

Laggan to Pitlochry using the old A9 and cycle path.

josemctavish
    Free Member

Tons of possible ones, but this would be fine on hybrids and Lairg has a railway station:

North Scotland Gravel Adventure

towzer

te otish/FYI(and thanks Jose as you have planned one of my holiday stops). The Crask Inn, which IMO is the Highland classic inn to stay at, is likely to be sold/possibly change (this could maybe be used in a Jose permutation). See https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g635690-d1974229-Reviews-Crask_Inn-Lairg_Caithness_and_Sutherland_Scottish_Highlands_Scotland.html, second post down.
    There is a cracking Café in Lairg.

Also second midge reports, they were brutal at Altnaharra.

*edited – note that Crask now appears to be weekends only.

trail_rat
    Free Member

+1 on the lairg cafe. and +1 on the crask.

bother were deployed on seperate soaking wet trips to that beautiful part of the world. both have stoves.

I love that road down from tongue to bonar bridge.

trail_rat
    Free Member

id also like to suggest that going up the corriayarrick on a loaded hybrid would be one of the most silly ideas ever.

josemctavish
    Free Member

Yup, if you wanted to shorten the second day, then incorporating the road down to the Crask into the route is well worth it – have stayed there a couple of times and don’t think there’ll ever be another place like it.

kcal

Something incorporating Speyside Way – north of Grantown – is rather lovely. Then quiet roads around Moray, return possibly using dava Way (bit rough in latter stages at S end).

matt_outandabout

Thanks all – my first though was ride north of Stirling to a train station or Aviemore to Moray coast…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Suggest me two day Highland cycle touring route’ is closed to new replies.