Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • suggest me a rim, I'm building new wheels
  • bikeryder85
    Free Member

Hello all,
    I’m building some new wheels around a set of Hope Pro 2 evos and was wondering what you lot would lace them to.

I’m going to be using them as my go-to long haul trail wheels, so I’m looking for something lightish, but not fragile, and something that can support at least a large 2.3

I’m currently looking at DT XM 450s, but I’m good at second guessing myself. So what do you guys think?

cynic-al
    Free Member

stans.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Mavic XM 719 sounds like it would be ideal for you. Or Stans Arch/flow or Mavic 819 if you are wanting tubeless. If you are not bothered about tubeless the Mavic XM 719 rims are strong, but light rims. I’m going to be building my new wheels around that rim.

andyl
    Free Member

Arch-ex?

james
    Free Member

Stans Arch EX?
    395/400g, 21mm internal rim width, stiffer section than crests(340ishg, 21mm internal)

IMO/IME a Mavic XM719 won’t support a large 2.3″ tyre (Eg spesh eskar 2.3″) very well
    2.25 advantage/2.5″ high roller (both about the same overall volume, but noticably smaller than spesh 2.3″s) Maxxis are pushing it for 719’s I’ve found

RustyMac

Hi,

I don’t know much about that specific DT rim however as an owner of EX5.1D rims i wouldn’t be choosing DT rims again in a hurry. To give them there due they have held up well over the years but the paina nd torment of mounting and removing tyres has taken it’s toll.

Depending on your budget The Stans NoTubes Arch rim would fit the bill, these can be found for £65-70 a rim or the new Arch EX which will be a littel more as they are new for 2012. More info on these rims can be found on the link below.

http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Rims-C18.aspx

If your budget is less have a look at the mavic rims, they are very good for the money.

njee20
    Free Member

Arch EX

bikeryder85
    Free Member

thanks for the response…any of you guys know how wide the mavic 819 is?

njee20
    Free Member

19mm internally, clue’s in the name…

They’re heavy, and not that easy to build on. Definitely not my choice.

bikeryder85
    Free Member

oh and rusty mac…why were the DTs a pain to mount?

bikeryder85
    Free Member

thanks njee20, those are a bit narrow…i was jaded by the promise of tubeless…crossed them off now.

njee20
    Free Member

Tubeless with Stan’s is as easy, if not easier.

bikeryder85
    Free Member

yea I’ve been looking at the stans…but the flow is a bit too much, and the arch not enough, and I’d rather not be the guinea pig for the new EX. They look promising, but i question the stiffness at that weight. maybe I’ll upgrade to them later if they pan out.

RustyMac

Mounting tyres to them is the problem, and i’ve tried a number of tyres from different brands over the years. DT seem to build the rims to a different overall outer diamiter to mavic and other manufacurers which makes putting tyres on a real squeeze.
    Since owning the DT rims i have had to invest in a massive down hill tyre lever to get some of the tyres off and on a couple of occasions I have had to walk back to the car as i’ve not been able to get the tyres off trail side to fix punctures.

Maybe i have weak thumbs but i have found them a PITA and wouldn’t buy them through choice again.

bikeryder85
    Free Member

ahh…I see, thanks Rusty Mac, def has me thinking…

br
    Free Member

Crests?

And tbh just buy Hope Hoops.

Speshpaul

How about the new mavic 319, same width as a 719 (19mm shock!) 30 grams heavier, and £26 each.

Whats not to like?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Merlin are doing a deal on Hope Pro2 Evo hubs and Mavic 717/719 rims at the mo. I run 719s on both my more aggressive bikes and have had no issue with 2.3 tyres feeling squirrelly. Otherwise, you could seek out a set of Mavic 521s.

I’ve never tried Stan’s rims as yet. I’m kind of put off by the lack of spoke eyeletting but I don’t hear too many complaints here about them.

Nick

Stans Crests, my hope hopes have done the Dyfi Enduro and three fully loaded big bikepacking rides, plus dozens of slither through the woods clumsily on a tuesday night rides, and are still true and straight.

Edit – although they might be a touch too narrow for anything over 2.3, fine with NN 2.25s / Spec Captains 2.2s etc.

bikeryder85
    Free Member

I was going to do the pre built route, but I can get it cheaper at the shop, besides it’s nice having something custom 😆

neilforrow

BOR-FRM XMD 333’s – very light and strong UST rim.

Northwind

bikeryder85 – Member

yea I’ve been looking at the stans…but the flow is a bit too much, and the arch not enough,

You were considering 719s and 819s, Arch (and hopefully Arch Ex) is a beefier rim than the former and pretty comparable to the latter. Flow might be “too much” but it’s also lighter than an 819 and only 10g heavier than the 719 so it doesn’t bring the disadvantages you’d think.

shortcut

There isn’t much between the old Arch and new Arch EX.

Have been running Arch for 12 months on29er with no problems and have just built up a set of EX, still straight one ride in – my first build! 😀

bikeryder85
    Free Member

hey all! as promised here is my final build:

build list is as follows:

Hubs: Silver Hope Pro 2

Spokes: Wheelsmith 2.0/1.7/2.0-Prolock nips (thanks for the tip mtbmarkymark)

Rims: DT XM 450

Weight (set): 1760g on the shop scale

I went ahead with the DT’s, figured I’d just go with my initial choice, pretty happy with the way the build turned out, LOVE the hubs! Got a new cassette coming mid week, should be able to ride them then, until then here is a few more pics:

Thanks to all of you who helped!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘suggest me a rim, I'm building new wheels’ is closed to new replies.