Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • STW Snowdon ride Sunday 20 th October
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

Following on from this thread
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/snowdon-anyone-fancy-it?replies=101
    I would like to cordially invite you all to ride said mountain on said date.
    I guess about a 10 am meet to get up for 12-1 ish and then back down in slightly less time that it took to get up.

I would point out this is weather dependent as if it is windy or very wet I wont be there as it wont be that great in a monsoon or 60 mph winds
    Meet at the bottom pootle/walk/grind cruise up [ if you are awesome] Llanberis
    Back down the Rangers across Telegraph and back to LLanberis
    I would advise a FS but you could ride it on anything and i will be in awe if you use a cross bike!

justme
    Free Member

Jonny can I request starting at the rangers car park and going up the rangers down telegraph valley then up snowdon and return down the full rangers to the cars so this gives a full run of the rangers including the bottom zigzags which are very good and on a personal note it means I can do rhyddhu as a decent which I have wanted to have a crack at for awhile. Please note this is a purely selfish request G

Junkyard
    Free Member

I expect nothing less from you and yes I am fine with that – will be good to start with a walk 😉
    so just me and thee then

Stevelol
    Free Member

Myself and 8 others are going up on that day, earlier though, aiming for a 7am start to avoid the walkers. We’ll try not to litter the place with too many broken cyclists.

maxtorque

Yup, pencil me (and possibly one other) in for this on the 20th, weather dependent (and just possibly family commitments dependent for me too)

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Derek the Weatherman said it was -9 chill factor on the top yesterday.
    Just saying like!

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes but was it wet or windy 😉

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Windy 😉

maxtorque

Have we got an up-to-date weather forecast? Is it terrible?? 😉

cloudnine
    Free Member

Forecast…. Bit wet and quite windy with poor vis up near the top… Isnt it nearly always like that?

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Saturday
    Weather

It will be a cloudy start to the day with some pockets of drizzle. It will stay rather cloudy throughout the morning, although some brighter breaks are possible across northern and eastern hills. A band of heavy showers will push across all parts of Snowdonia from the southwest during the afternoon bringing the risk of lightning. This will be replaced by rather cloudy weather with a scattering of showers, although becoming more frequent through the evening. Remaining windy, but it will remain mild for the time of year.
    Visibility

Generally good or very good below the cloud bases, but moderate to poor in the showers and very poor in the hill fog.
    Hill fog

Extensive hill fog across southern and western hills at first, with bases 400-600m. Across more sheltered northern and eastern hills bases will be broken at around 600-900m. By the early part of the afternoon, the bases will lift to 600-800m in the west, but patches down to 500m in the band of showers. However, northern and eastern hills may become clear of cloud for a time during the early afternoon period, however patches will reform down to 600m near, and after, the shower band in the afternoon.
    Maximum winds above 500m

South-westerly 25-35mph, perhaps 40mph across highest summits and ridges.
    Temperature
    Valleys Plus 11 becoming 17 Celsius
    900 m Plus 10 Celsius
    Freezing level Above the summits.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/snowdonia/snowdonia_latest_pressure.html

timc
    Free Member

im going to wait & see whats cracking on the 27th

maxtorque

hmmm, not exactly sounding appealing!

johnnygooner
    Free Member

Did it happen? How was it?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘STW Snowdon ride Sunday 20 th October’ is closed to new replies.