• This topic has 200 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 201 total)
  • STW peaks meet 5th: Ladybower loop
  • jackthedog
    Free Member

I'll be there for this one.

binners

I'm in. Horas going. And I know I'm not slower than him. Is anyone?

Pook

He was fast enough eating his massive burger last week

Pook

Chris (pook)
    Will
    Johnny Panic
    Erny
    AndyPaice
    Longstuff
    Lyons
    Benman
    Benman’s dad
    James (transport permitting)
    Genester
    JacktheDog
    Binners
    Hora

will
    Free Member

Pook – Member
    He was fast enough eating his massive burger last week

😆

Another big ride 🙄

Ow and i'm not on Uk-mtb…Must be another one

Pook

re: burger

I was jealous though.

😳

will
    Free Member

ladybower inn does nice food 🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

yup, just spent the weekend there

and my brother is one of the chefs 🙂

benman
    Free Member

Can't we squeeze the beast downhill into the route…? 😉 I suppose it could be optional, and regroup at the bottom of the Rowlee Farm climb?

will
    Free Member

Aren't we doing that, from the Top of Hope Cross. At least I thought we were…

Pook

As you know, I'm open to suggestions! The route I have so far goes from hope cross to rowlee farm down the roman road, so yes, it misses the beast. If people want me to include it and then have a quick road blast to the farm climb we can. Should be some good filming on there will!

lyons
    Free Member

So is the route going tobe clockwise or anticlockwise? I'm not 100 percent sure if i will make it or not… I hope so.

Pook

erm, clockwise.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Erm, probably a bit late in the day for this but if anyone travelling down from the rochdale area could give me a lift i'd be more than happy to pay for the petrol and supply cakes etc.

E-mail in profile if it helps.

JohnnyPanic

Outlook
    Saturday
    Cloudy with outbreaks of heavy rain, widespread hill fog, and strong to gale southwesterly winds.
    ————————-
    When I said book the weather perhaps I should have been more specific!!!!

I need to get busy shortening those army goretex I've just bought. 😐

will
    Free Member

Hope the weather is ok 😆

I think we should try and ride the Beast… even if it means adding a little section on! Such an iconic decent, seems daft to miss it out, also I want to see how people ride it, then I know if i'm any good 😆

kempfab
    Free Member

will – That's Sunday though Mr Kemp

I did consider both! But that would mean over 8 hours of driving too. Damn, you have got me thinking about it again now… 😯

will
    Free Member

8 Hours… Thats more of a commitment that Lyons!

SBrock
    Free Member

I think we should try and ride the Beast… even if it means adding a little section on! Such an iconic decent, seems daft to miss it out, also I want to see how people ride it, then I know if i'm any good

Only ridden the Beast once and didn't think it was as hard as what people make out! Cavedale is harder! I would like to come on this but Im working this weekend – I'm free next weekend – typical eh!

Pook

A bit of rain? pah – nothing. We were riding in blizzard conditions last week! (kind of) 😉

We'll stick the beast in and have a road spin to Rowlee farm….unless people want the hagg farm climb too?

We've vaguely got a route in. Small changes can be decided on the day

thefallguy
    Free Member

Hi Pook hopefully I'll be there this week!

At the risk of too many chefs routes spoil the broth… this is the route i'd suggest which is similar to one you posted – avoiding the trudge up Crookhill but missing the Hagg Farm descent and steep Wooler Knoll.

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=27475

will
    Free Member

As i have said, i'm easy with the route, however i do think the beast, and then potentially hagg fsrm climb is a good idea, having said that i think i'll be walking up most clinbs 😆

sadexpunk

hmmmm………im tempted to come along. unfortunately the 10am start on a saturday means negotiating sheffield at 9ish, which puts me off a bit.

you say this is going to be a regular thing? will it always be saturdays, or will there be any sundays as well? its about a 2hr drive for me, so quiet roads on a sunday morning pretty much essential.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I would deffo be up for another one of these in the future if it was on a Sunday as I would be coming from Linocln way, and the traffic is a 'kin 'mare.

Pook

Not always going to be Saturdays. In the new year I'll put some sundays in as they justify a massive meal afterwards even more!

will
    Free Member

sadex. Where you coming from, if you hit sheffield about 9.15ish that will give you plenty of time. Also unlike most cities, i actually find sheffield to be traffic wise

Pook

hi fallguy – that was the original route – based on some local knowledge we chopped the aston road/climb bit out.

sadexpunk

ill be coming from lincoln. same as monkeychild up there, but i not met that bad boy yet! *waves* 🙂

9.15 on a saturday in sheffield is ok you reckon??? not a big pile of stationary traffic??

Pook

should be ok. You'll not go right into the city centre – instead you'll drop down and then take the ring road.

Just follow the A57 signs for Manchester.

sadexpunk

ring road? am i being daft here? im sure we've always followed A57 signs before and ended up going through the centre :-/

EDIT – just looked at my map to see if i was missing something, but no, the A57 looks to go slap bang through the middle of the city to me :-/

Pook

Chris (pook)
    Will
    Johnny Panic
    Erny
    AndyPaice
    Longstuff
    Lyons
    Benman
    Benman’s dad
    James (transport permitting)
    Genester
    JacktheDog
    Binners
    Hora
    Muddydwarf
    Sadexpunk

There's a new ring road sadex here…
    http://www.multimap.com/s/Qb9FxGYe

it cuts off the need to go right into the city. Most maps (including that link) don't show it yet as it only opened properly this year.

EDIT: It's kind of like this

sadexpunk

yeah?? lovely lovely!! that opens things up a bit! ill get out in the garage in a bit and make sure my bikes up to scratch. just done a ghetto tubeless job on it, and a group ride in the peaks isnt where you want to find a 'FAIL' :-/

thanks

will
    Free Member

lincoln eh. Just had a look on a map, this is the route i would suggest. A57 to worksop, a60 accross m1, chesterfield, b6051 to owler bar, b6055 to hathersage, then on to ladybower. You then miss all potential traffic. Ow yeh, sadex, did i sell you some shorts 😆

Pook

google maps has the route shown

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=UTF-8&q=google+sheffield&ie=UTF8&hl=en&hq=google&hnear=Sheffield,+UK&ll=53.386553,-1.465602&spn=0.012567,0.038581&z=15

come in on the a57 on the right, nip onto the a61 around the city, jump back on the a57 on the left.

😀

SBrock
    Free Member

hmmmm………im tempted to come along. unfortunately the 10am start on a saturday means negotiating sheffield at 9ish, which puts me off a bit.

you say this is going to be a regular thing? will it always be saturdays, or will there be any sundays as well? its about a 2hr drive for me, so quiet roads on a sunday morning pretty much essential.

PO

sadexpunk, Im form Lincoln (N Hykeham) sadly I cant make this Saturday but any other weekend and in the week I can do! The Dark Peak is my normal ride, I take the A57 over dunham bridge and go right into city (normally on a week day) about 9, just follow signs for A57 Glossop (or university). The traffic is not that bad and I literally go through the centre. I leave my house at 830am and get into the CP at ladybower inn at 1015am.

if you want to share fuel costs etc and dont mind an average 41yr old on a Heckler then would be happy to meet for a ride!

PS just gone ghetto on the Heckler (DT5.1's, High Rollers & Stans Sealant) and been down Jacobs etc with no problems!

monkeychild
    Free Member

OT time the A57 has indeed changed through Sheffield I went across snake pass last week and was shocked at how much the roads have changed, you do indeed skirt around the Sheffield centre now.
    *waves back at sadexpunk* I am a loner in these here flat parts 😆

SBrock
    Free Member

lincoln eh. Just had a look on a map, this is the route i would suggest. A57 to worksop, a60 accross m1, chesterfield, b6051 to owler bar, b6055 to hathersage, then on to ladybower. You then miss all potential traffic. Ow yeh, sadex, did i sell you some shorts

DO NOT take this route, trust me I drive to the Dark Peak week in week out and this route adds 45-60 mins (and its a horrible road) Take the A57 all the way going straight through Sheffield City Centre – when you get to Park Square go SA into the city, follow signs for University/Hospital then you will pick up the A57 Glossop again.

TRUST ME on this I only did it yesterday!

Pook

No no! Skirt around on the sexy new ring road!!!

At the weekend the town will be busy.

TRUST ME! I live in Sheffield

😉

sadexpunk

sbrock, if the dark peaks your normal ride, then youll be waaaay fitter than me. dont get out much really, due to work commitments, family, and lack of motivation round here 🙁

but yes, id be happy to share a car for a ride over sometime. every now and then we nip up to the wolds as well. only bout half hour drive away on a sunday morning. you want me to shout when we next go?

will, tried the chesterfield way, and it was slower. believe me, we've tried every route there 🙂 even going higher up the motorway and dropping down, but we could never shorten the journey time :-/
    (its quite possible you sold me some shorts. endura clickfast?)

EDIT – dont worry pook, when i come over again, its DEFO the new ring road! hopefully saturday 🙂

thefallguy
    Free Member

which car park pook? is it…
    1. the free yorkshire water one with the loos
    or
    2. the ladybower inn?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 201 total)

The topic ‘STW peaks meet 5th: Ladybower loop’ is closed to new replies.