• This topic has 200 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 201 total)
  • STW peaks meet 5th: Ladybower loop
  • Pook

Hi all,

following on from last week's successful trip, we've decided to do another!

Following this route
    http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=27333

We'll be setting off from the car park on Ladybower at 10am.

All welcome.

nbt

Don't forget the STW NOrthern Meet Marsden ride that weekend

beefy

Oh poo!!!!!

Just had a weekend pass, but used it to do studying, can't see me being able to swing another. Nuts.

Well done, btw, for sorting another one out though.

Perhaps one in the new year?

tracknicko
    Free Member

ill still have a big hole in my knee post op. but ready for one after!

Pook

I get a feeling it'll be quite a regular thing somehow….

Pook

STW group rides out there 5th and 6th!

Excellent!

😀

beefy

Yep, its great that this is becoming more regular, means more people will be able to come along!

I struggled for ages to get people together for nights, but found a bunch already doing it, now there is always someone going out.

Still want to do something like cut gate at night! That would be awesome.

thepodge
    Free Member

I wrote off my car this morning and have some severely bruised if not cracked ribs so you'll have to count me out for a while

Pook

bugger – what happened?

Merlinman

Just a thought, isn't that a footpath off Whinstone Lee Tor?

The alternative BW back down to Cutthroat Bridge though is a blast isn't it?

It'll be good to see how all those that claim 'The Beast' is easy perform…..

Pook

You're quite right. Will – you rebel. Hadn't spotted that cheek. Merlin, i rode up there a couple of weeks back. Grinding going up cos of the mud but it'll be a laugh going down, so as a result we'll be dropping down to cutthroat. It'd be a shame to miss it!

THIS ROUTE

Merlinman

I know the FP route well – and when there's just a couple of you it's not usually an issue 😉

Hope you have a good day – sorry I can't join you 🙁

JohnnyPanic

Might be up for this myself as it's fairly local.
    Just make sure you book the weather… 🙂

erny
    Free Member

We did that route on saturday,not done it for a while and forgot how good it was,might join you on saturday if I can get out of work.

simon1975

This is Bamford Clough which you asked about in the other thread. Well worth a wee diversion (go up to the top of it using the road from near the reservoir dam). It's steep and slippery although straight – don't break your neck though.

Doesn't look like I can join you this Saturday though. Have fun!

Pook
    simon1975

A classic! 😉

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

that's pretty rubbish route (the original one)

misses out half the fun bits and uses a footpath as pointed out

turn right just before cutthroat bridge for a top descent down to the back of the ladybower inn

cross over to crookhill and go up to the top of hagg side for another top descent

then go up the landrover track on the back of win hill to join the bridleway near the roman road

bamford clough isn't worth all that road riding imho on the second route

wish i could come but i shall be working for 23 hours instead 🙁

thepodge
    Free Member

Pook – bugger – what happened?

lost control on ice, bounced off a tree, spun along the road, demolished a wall and rolled my car.

pity as my lights turned up today, i could have gone riding tomorrow and this new ride looks well good.

robidoo
    Free Member

Boo! I am on 12 hour nights friday.
    Will keep em peeled for another day.
    Have fun and take pics etc.
    Rob.

Pook

Iwas thinking that mmw, couldn't see a non cheeky link between the woods and roman road though. The amended route has the descent.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

there is a cheeky but acceptable route up the back, a footpath about half a mile down river from the beast, it's through forestry and is a landrover track which there is tacit approval to use from the landowners

AndyPaice
    Free Member

I'll defo try and make this one, hope for some good weather

will
    Free Member

I'll be on this on.

MMW – Interesting idea on some aspects of the route. I think Cut Throat is a must do, be nice and muddy 🙂

Looks like not as many as the other one, but still early days. Also the weather looks awful 😆

longstuff
    Free Member

After last saturdays intro to the dark peak i shall try and make it out again

lyons
    Free Member

hmmm, i may well come up again…

will
    Free Member

It's going to be good 😆

james
    Free Member

If its the same landrover track as mentioned many times above, the VG graphics book uses it if that helps you make your mind up on using it?

benman
    Free Member

I'm probably up for coming along this sat, and maybe my Dad too. I'm not the most prolific of posters but its always fun to ride with new people 🙂

We do this circuit quite regularly, and usually go up past Rowlee Farm rather than the Hagg Farm climb, as its more rideable?

james
    Free Member

some other options I'd imagine you wouldn't want to touvh most of them on a group ride. The climb up the back (North side) of Win Hill is in the VG graphics book (OS map is simply a path (not a footpath) so maybe you could use that one

*I can't get the link to work. Bikehike said the url of my saved loop is: http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=27382
    I don't know what I'm doing wrong

Also, as per my last post, if you track where that other landrover track is on a satelite picture, it lines up nowhere near the footpath on the OS map running parallel to it

I'm not going to say I can attend this as I dropped out of the last one, but (transport issues aside) I can't see why not just yet

kempfab
    Free Member

Damn, I have been foolish enough to enter WSII over Thetford on Sunday 🙄

I would have defo been on board again, but cant make both 🙁

Have a good ride, remember the snorkel for Simon!

will
    Free Member

That's Sunday though Mr Kemp 😉

We still going to try and video this one Chris?

I have just ordered some long lycra trousers and overshoes as well, as following on from last weekend, we'll need them!

Pook

How do all,

cheers MMW – i like the look of that, and the winhill landrover track aside, i know all the trails. I'm sure we'll find it.

Will, I'll be bringing my camera

:o)

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

You can't miss it, it's a long straight steep track at about 45 degrees to the reservoir access road

to avoid contention we tend to push the 100m from the top of the trees to the bridleway on the top of the col

Pook

nice one

will
    Free Member

new cx tyres just ordered. Hope they get here for friday!

SBrock
    Free Member

will – are you on uk-mtb? or is that a different will?

genester
    Free Member

fancy this, what will be total distance and fitness required and will be coming from barnsley on train so will have to get back to bamford/hope station for train so roughly how long does route normally take thanks,so i can catch train back.

Pook

16 miles. Varied fitness (there will be a hangers on group as last week)

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=27395

Normally you could do this in about 3 hours. But I'd allow a little more. Plus if you miss your train, spend a bit more time in the pub and I can drop you at Sheff station.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 201 total)

The topic ‘STW peaks meet 5th: Ladybower loop’ is closed to new replies.