Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • STW motorbikers
  • Pook

what's your opinion on…

Long Way Round
    Jamie Whitham

epicsteve
    Free Member

Long Way Round wasn't my cup of tea as there are lots of better motorbike travel books out there – Jupiters Travels for example, and the follow-up that the same writer did when re-doing the route again many years later. Dan Walsh's "These Are The Days That Must Happen to You" is also a good read, although perhaps you'd need to have known him form his writings in Bike magazine first.

Jamie Whitham seems like a nice enough chap but not the best of writers.

Pook

Thanks steve – what about the on screen stuff?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I liked the Long Way Round on TV, very enjoyable

Jamie W is a loudmouth, but he knows his stuff and can ride a bike. I've got a pic of him actually (Not taken by me) shot from the inside of a bend, right over, knee down, but looking directly at the camera, not where he's going. It's the best race pic I've ever seen TBH. 🙂

failedengineer

I'd agree on the Dan Walsh book – fantastic writer!

Long Way Down? Two rich blokes having fun – can't blame them though!

Jamie Whitham – not read his book, but like his commentaries. Good rider in his day.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Thanks steve – what about the on screen stuff?

I watched bits of the Long Way Round and found it enjoyable enought, but not to the extent that I was bothered if I missed an episode.

The best motorcycling DVD I've got is one of those that has "on-board" laps of the IOM TT course. Mental stuff – I've ridden round the IOMG TT course but at rather a more sedate pace! I did reach 150mph (legally!) at a couple of places over the mountain though.

sv
    one_bad_mofo

If you fancy something a bit different in the form of a motorcycle travel book try anything written by Ian Mutch.

anagallis_arvensis

I really enjoyed Long Way Round, its what inspried me to get a motorbike when I found out I could no longer cycle. Its a rich kids fantasy and not how I'd do it but still great telly. Long Way down I didnt enjoy for some reason.

Geronimo
    Free Member

LWR was quite good.

I watched 2 episodes of LWD before giving up.

I am indifferent towards James Whitham, but he was obviously a good rider.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

LWR was good, LWD was quite clearly a money making/marketing promotion.
    Jamie Whitham, i haven't read his book but Mr MC has and IIRC he said it was quite funny and entertaining.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Nick Sanders

http://www.nicksanders.com/

I met him a couple months back and he's a bloody nice bloke. Total nutter but a real nice genuine guy. Great book.

Oh amd how could I forget about these guys….

http://www.mondoenduro.com/

They did it way before those poncy faries on their rubbish bmw heaps. They are the real deal. DR350's and the like proper on a budget hardcore no backup fantastic adventure.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i've read LWR & Jupiters Travels and they're fairly enjoyable. Uneasy rider by Mike Carter is quite funny.

Edric64
    Free Member

The reason J W looks like he is not looking where he is going is because you get told to look through the bend to where you will end up and plan your line and he always rode with his head nearly on the deck!!

freddyg
    Free Member

I've ridden round the IOM TT

Nice.

I'm off to the TT on Friday. 8)

AlexBerry
    Free Member

Jamie Whitham is not only a great bloke, but quite possibly one of Britains best ever motorcycle racers, and one of the most unfortunate to have always struggled with getting top tackle and then illness…i was fortunate to be on the same track as him and witnessed his genius disappearing into the distance….despite the fact he and foggy are friends, Jamie was possinby the faster of the 2 (although foggy would never say that!!)

Long way round, good TV and Ewan and Charlie very likeable.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I did a track training day at Knockhill with John Reynolds and it was mind blowing how much quicker than me he was – despite my fuel-injection CBR600 being noticeably quicker in a straight line than the older model CBR600 he was on. Nice chap as well.

I've got loads of bike travelogue books and quite a few are good (I must look them out and figure out which were the best ones).

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance is worth a read as well, as is The Perfect Vehicle by Melissa Holbrook Pierson.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘STW motorbikers’ is closed to new replies.