Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • STW IT helpdesk ticket #3346
  • molgrips
    Free Member

The battery meter on my laptop is wildly out. The other day it shut off when it said 35% or so. Don’t really care about the reading but because Windows thinks there’s plenty left it doesn’t give you the chance to shut down or hibernate itself.

There are plenty of articles out there telling you to recalibrate the battery by letting it run all the way down, but this happens all the time and it still doesn’t work.

HP HDX18 is the laptop.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Buy a Mac

molgrips
    Free Member

**** off mastiles_fanboi

😉

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Sounds like one of the battery cells is kaput.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm that’s an interesting idea. Doesn’t seem to last as long as I thought it used to…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Have you tried turning it off and on?

How many times?

soobalias
    Free Member

currently seeing #0032

molgrips
    Free Member

Did that, Cougar. Does nothing. The battery runs out all the time and it’s never properly calibrated.

rootes1

sure power saving is not set to turn off at 35%?

D0NK

Yeah if your sure the battery has plenty of juice left you could just disable auto shutdown.

molgrips
    Free Member

Power saving settings are set to turn off at their normal levels. When windows handles it, you get a message then it hibernates.

This never happens, because the battery is actually out long before windows thinks it is and it just goes off.

It is not auto shutting down because windows thinks there’s loads left when there isn’t.

It’s not always 35% anyway, sometimes more or less. When you restart and plug it back in, sometimes it says 25% and charging, sometimes it says like 3%.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

**** off mastiles_fanboi

But I am not really (recently bought a PC for home use).

But it’s a laff innit?

molgrips
    Free Member

I know I was being silly.

footflaps

If you have a collapsed cell in the battery pack you can get this sort of behaviour – see the same with Bike Lights – charges ok, appears to start to drain properly then just dies rapidly.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. looks like there are third party packs that have a higher rated capacity, but I am very nervous about cheap thirdy party battery packs. I had one for my phone and it is absolutely crap.

retro83
    Free Member

schrickvr6 – Member

Sounds like one of the battery cells is kaput.

yep

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Tell you what though, PCs are crap. I just spent an age re-installing drivers and ultimately screwing up my new laptop (started getting registry errors and shutting down on me) because the mouse pad stopped working.

Our work IT guy had a look and it turned out I had pressed a button to disable it.

They are crap are PCs I tell you.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol again 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘STW IT helpdesk ticket #3346’ is closed to new replies.