Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • stw doctors – chest pain but only when running?
  • jools182
    Free Member

I’ve just tried doing a run instead of the bike as I can’t be bothered washing the bike etc when I get back

I was getting chest pain, it felt muscular, after not very long, maybe 5 or 10 minutes

I can go out for hours on the bike and really give it some and not get any pain

Is it to do with the running position? Opening out my chest more?

And I’ve had loads of cardio tests in the past few years

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Chest apin is always worth getting checked out properly.

Is it continuous? Is it on breathing?

could be any one of dozens of things

deviant
    Free Member

When i read the thread title i thought ‘angina’ but then you said it doesnt come on with other types of exercise/exertion….?

Personally i have exertion related asthma….but only from high impact activities weirdly….for example cycling and BJJ doesnt trigger it but squash, running and kickboxing does….DR gave me a Ventolin (the blue one) inhaler to use prior to these activities and its not a problem now.

Could also have pulled an intercostal muscle (the ones between the ribs)….best to see your DR, the cautious approach is to treat chest pain as cardiac until proven otherwise.

jools182
    Free Member

I’m going to the docs next week anyway

Just odd how I can do other aerobic exercises and not get any

scaredypants

BJJ doesnt trigger it

Dare I ask ??

OP – do you ever run normally ?
    Is it dependent on your pace or not ?
    Why do you think it’s muscular (I guess it could well be if you don’t normally run)

docrobster
    Free Member

I’d want to know your age sex family history & smoking status to give you any sensible advice.

jools182
    Free Member

I don’t run normally, first time out probably since school.

I’m 38, over 6″, 12 stone. Smoked occasionally for about 2 years about 15 years ago

My grandad on my dads side died of a heart attack at 68, apart from that no other history of it

docrobster
    Free Member

Very low risk of heart disease then.
    As you say the fact that other types of exercise don’t trigger chest pain is reassuring. Probably muscular.
    Mention it when you go but I wouldn’t be too worried.

molgrips
    Free Member

You may be pushing your heart and lungs harder when running though. It is much more demanding on those bits afaik.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘stw doctors – chest pain but only when running?’ is closed to new replies.